Which inner tubes?

GordonH
GordonH Posts: 58
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
There are a lot of discussions on the forum about the merits of various tyres, but I've not seen much regarding inner tubes. Do you think that there are all very similar in terms of weight and reliability?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    The cheapest.
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Planet X are doing some for £1.49 each right now
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    oxoman wrote:
    Any will do, its the tyres that matter.
    i have had some crap inner tubes - prone to failures at the valve welding - now only buy Conti or Vittoria
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • There is potential for a weight saving.
    Using 50gram Continentals (for example) its possible to save 1/2lb in weight if you normally carry 2 spare tubes.
    Expensive at nearly 10 quid each though :shock:

Planet X do tubes at £1.49 (as already mentioned above) or 'lightweight' tubes at £1.99. They don't publish any weights though.

I did email them to ask but they refused to weigh one and treated me with the contempt that I doubtless deserve for being an 'Anorak' :lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    There is potential for a weight saving.
    Using 50gram Continentals (for example) its possible to save 1/2lb in weight if you normally carry 2 spare tubes.
    Expensive at nearly 10 quid each though :shock:

Planet X do tubes at £1.49 (as already mentioned above) or 'lightweight' tubes at £1.99. They don't publish any weights though.

I did email them to ask but they refused to weigh one and treated me with the contempt that I doubtless deserve for being an 'Anorak' :lol:

Cycling turns us all into 'anorak's'.

Good point on weight. I had some cheap inner tubes which weigh in at around 140g's each. I now use lighter ones and more recently latex ones which are around 60-70g each. When you consider how much people will spend on getting lighter wheels when a more cost effective upgrade is tubes (and tyres). As for punctures, it's generally about the tyre, in my experience anyway.

Recently Wiggle were doing 10 Vittoria Ultralite tubes for a shade over £20 - these are usually £40 on Ribble. They were the 51mm ones too which have the removable core - handy for deep rim wheels. Keep an eye out for similar bargains. Latex tubes are usually around £7 to £8 so don't use them with puncture prone tyres.