Does anyone use Shimano M530 pedals on their road bike?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Not to be confused with the A530's which I know are already quite popular.

I'm looking for my first SPD pedal and was going to order the A520's, however I was in Evans today and saw the M530 which I know is intended for mountain bikes, but I liked the idea of having a pedal with clips on both sides. I was wondering if anyone used them on their road bike and also whether they offered much extra support? Thanks

A520
shimano-a520-spd-touring-pedals.jpg

M530
6a00d83451f74269e2016761999409970b-500wi.jpg

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I've been using M530s on the touring bike I use for commuting for a few weeks now. Previously I had M520s on there. I use both exclusively with Diadora Cross Country 2 shoes which are pretty stiff.

They certainly do offer more support. It's noticeable how the sole of the shoe grips the platform, so much so the shoe doesn't float as freely on the pedals. I haven't used either for rides much more than an hour so can't say how much difference this would make on a long road ride.

Don't think I'd want them on my road bike though; they're a fair weight!

Rob
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Don't know about M530s but one of mine has A520s. I find them very slightly harder to slip out of than my M520s but there's not much in it. I find myself looking down at them to check they're the right way up before clipping in.

If it's for a bike you'll be using at night I'd get M520s with the plastic insert for orange reflectors, much safer.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    I've been using M530s on the touring bike I use for commuting for a few weeks now. Previously I had M520s on there. I use both exclusively with Diadora Cross Country 2 shoes which are pretty stiff.

They certainly do offer more support. It's noticeable how the sole of the shoe grips the platform, so much so the shoe doesn't float as freely on the pedals. I haven't used either for rides much more than an hour so can't say how much difference this would make on a long road ride.

Don't think I'd want them on my road bike though; they're a fair weight!

Rob

Cheers for the reply. I'm not too worried about the weight as the difference is only 125gm compared to the A520's which are my other option. I often ride at night though so the fact that they are double sided is appealing and it's good to know that they do offer more support.
    unixnerd wrote:
    Don't know about M530s but one of mine has A520s. I find them very slightly harder to slip out of than my M520s but there's not much in it. I find myself looking down at them to check they're the right way up before clipping in.

If it's for a bike you'll be using at night I'd get M520s with the plastic insert for orange reflectors, much safer.

Thanks. Do you find that they usually sit the right way up? I do cycle at night, however I have a lot of reflective gear already so I'm not too worried about missing out on some if it means getting the right pedals.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I am using them on my best bike. Wilier Izoard. I went for them as I only have MTB shoes at the present time and I read on here that the slightly wider platform gave a more secure coupling between shoe and pedal. I like having double side also. At the moment I am debating whether to switch to SL or speedplay next season.