Campagnolo - shifters

ricky1980
ricky1980 Posts: 891
edited December 2012 in Road general
might be a stupid question, but how do you use the thumb shift while in the drops using any of the groupo above Athena?

also they kitted out Athena for electronic shifting but everything still shifts from the shifters...a bit odd isn't it? also why did they miss chorus...baffling considering the price for the EPS set for athena is more than enough to get a full set of mech record.
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

Comments

• nobody changes gear from the drops!!!!
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Some good points but as mentioned why would you wana change gear when you're in the drops?? Don't think I've ever been in that position!!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You can still reach the thumb shifters in the drops - they're quite far back on the body of the levers. This is the old style ergos but the positioning is similar:

100_2938.JPG

When you say EPS still shifts from the shifters - do you mean no remote buttons? I heard that's because Shimano has those patented.

And I would think they went with doing an electronic version of Athena because it would be the lowest priced version they could do (without retooling for 10 speed) to compete with Ultegra DI2
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have tiny hands and am able to shift in the drops...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I’ve got small hands and can shift quite easily. Why would you want to shift in the drops? To change gear perhaps?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I have no problem changing on the drops
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I can see the Athena able to shift in the drop as it is the same as shimano tiagra above. But the chorus and record all have thumb shifters. I suppose it's good to have something different.

The electronic shifting to their bottom of the range groupo doesn't make any sense
    As this basically increase the price by 50% and makes it affordable for people who were using Athena.

Ah to be fair, electronic shifting is such a gimmick. The good old cable never fails. Add one more piece of linkage, you are simply increasing the chance of the system to.fall over.

I can understand why they want to do it yo cars and planes cost it simplifies control system as well as saving a lot of weight. But on a bike when there is only 4 cables and a pair of control...meh, not convenced.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    ricky1980 wrote:
    I can see the Athena able to shift in the drop as it is the same as shimano tiagra above. But the chorus and record all have thumb shifters. I suppose it's good to have something different..

Sorry, no - all Campag Ergos have thumb shifters.

Of the modern shape levers. Veloce, Centaur and Athena (post 2011) have thumb buttons with one click and about 0.5cm movement. Chorus, Record and Super Record (and Veloce, Centaur and Athena pre 2011) have thumb levers which allow multiple shifts and move about 2cm.

However, the thumb levers are all in the same place.
  • ricky1980 wrote:
    I can see the Athena able to shift in the drop as it is the same as shimano tiagra above. But the chorus and record all have thumb shifters. I suppose it's good to have something different.

The electronic shifting to their bottom of the range groupo doesn't make any sense
    As this basically increase the price by 50% and makes it affordable for people who were using Athena.

Ah to be fair, electronic shifting is such a gimmick. The good old cable never fails. Add one more piece of linkage, you are simply increasing the chance of the system to.fall over.

I can understand why they want to do it yo cars and planes cost it simplifies control system as well as saving a lot of weight. But on a bike when there is only 4 cables and a pair of control...meh, not convenced.

The electronic shifting becomes necessary as you want to increase the number of sprockets... by doing so, you either widen the rear triangle... why not? Or narrow the gap between sprockets. The latter approach requires very accurate shifting that a cable pulled derailleur is not able to deliver in a reproducible manner. So gears get more and more difficult to set up correctly and need to be retuned very frequently. The way out is a motor powered derailleur, which has a much greater level of accuracy. At the front the problem does no exist, therefore is largely un-necessary.

As for Campagnolo, over the past ten years I can't recall one single new component that wasn't worse that its predecessor and being Italian I am Campagnolo biased... that says it all
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I regularly shift from the drops with my Campag Shifters, especially when in a sprint or riding hard.

Ugo - In my opinion Campag has got better, 11 speed was such a revelation that I changed all of my bikes (Except my fixed :-) ) over to it, the difference is just amazing, but I have to admit that I don't ride powershift.

I've just put together everything now for EPS Record on one of my bikes, got it all cheap, so as I like to play then it had to be done ;-), will probably transfer it all over at Christmas ready for riding when the weather gets better.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I’ve got small hands and can shift quite easily. Why would you want to shift in the drops? To change gear perhaps?

Indeed! Why on earth would anyone ride in the drops at all if they aren't going to change gear whilst in the drops. People ride their bikes in very odd ways!
    Faster than a tent.......