mtb gloves ok or should I get road specific gloves

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I've always been a mountain biker but am now getting my first road bike (a defy 1).

Should I get road specific gloves, or will my mtb ones be ok for long (5-6+ hour ) rides?

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    They'll be fine if they cover your hand and keep them warm.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    I ride wearing my MTB gloves, partially because I can't afford to get a complete road outfit yet due to Christmas getting ever closer! But they do the job :)
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • I wear my old MTB gloves on a road bike (can't afford to replace a perfectly good pair of gloves with roadie equivalent).

TBH the biggest issue I have with gloves is getting the temp right .. sometimes I ride around with two pairs of gloves (spare pair in my back pockets) so that I can swap to a cooler pair mid-ride (or before I big climb where I know I'll be cooking).
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • There's very little that's 'road-specific' that you need; particularly in clothing. The main thing is the shorts; MTB jerseys, helmets, shoes and so on can be perfectly sufficient for road cycling.

As for gloves, they will be fine. There exist gloves that are optimised for riding with hands on hoods and drops, but there isn't a defined norm for road cycling gloves; the levels of padding vary from very cushioned to not padded at all, and some people ride with bare hands.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I always ride with full fingered gloves. I hate the feeling of riding without them. I've seen some pretty nasty injuries from not wearing any gloves...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    How do MTB shorts differ from road shorts?

Or do you mean baggy..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • starbuck wrote:
    I've always been a mountain biker but am now getting my first road bike (a defy 1).

Should I get road specific gloves, or will my mtb ones be ok for long (5-6+ hour ) rides?

Yeah you should be fine with them as they tend to have very little difference from what I can tell other that styling and possibly colours.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I still use my Troy Lee Air gloves.Nice and light and offer full protection.

And when these ones wear out i shall buy another set...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Wear whatever you want and ignore anyone who says different.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Wear whatever you want and ignore anyone who says different.
    Exactly

On really bitterly cold days I have been using Gore Fusion MBT gloves and liking them a lot. They are a bit bulky, but very warm and waterproof.
  • ddraver wrote:
    How do MTB shorts differ from road shorts?

Or do you mean baggy..?

Predominantly baggies - but being an MTBer in lycra due to the state of my trails this year the chamois pad is much more important since you will spend a much greater proportion of your ride sat down. 20 quid liners were fine on an MTB - after 7 and a half seated hrs and 100 miles later I discovered they (and my ar$e) weren't up to the job! :(
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the gloves have gel padding - often on the heel of the hand, they can sometimes be in the wrong place for drop bars - depends on your hand postion preference, hood shape etc. I use unpadded, long-finger MTB gloves for 3 seasons and CX
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I wear neoprene scuba diving gloves now, they were only a tenner and keep my hands toasty warm.