refused service at a McDonalds Drive-thru

adey8ball
adey8ball Posts: 25
edited December 2012 in Road general
hello

on my ride today and i went into 1 of the golden arches to get a coffee. as i didn't want to chain up the bike and remove all the bits to get a drink i went into the drive thru. after waiting a few minutes at the intercom i moved to the window to be rudely met with someone said that their insurance doesn't cover bikes in the drive thru, in case i was hit by a car. i said i would take the risk and she huffed and said she would get her manager to serve me. within 5 seconds of him coming to the window, i was told to leave and use only the restaurant.

in the end i went to the supermarket opposite and had a better coffee than the slop they sell.

has anyone else had this encounter. what happened and what did you do.

thanks

adrian

Comments

• +1, A mate of mine was out on a long ride and had no locks etc. with him so couldn't chain his bike up. He went to the drive through and was refused for the same reason you were. His explanation of having no locks to chain his bike up fell on deaf ears - assuming there was a sensible place to chain up a bike outside a Maccy D.

He made a point of wheeling his bike into the busy restaurant - got served after some heated words with the manager and told never to come back! LOL.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Here in the States they won't even serve motorbikes let alone a bicycle. That was 10 years ago and haven't been back there since. Their food is crap anyways, go someplace that serves real food.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take up MTBing and walk through the door covered in crap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Find a nice pub on route and have a coffee (or a beer) normally much friendlier than fast food chains
  • Regardless of better alternatives for coffee, this policy by McDonalds is absurd. If they have a risk assessment showing cycles are vulnerable in a Drivethru then they are breaking the law by allowing cyclists to order and get to the dispensing window, turning them away after they have been exposed to the hazard. More likely it is a knee jerk reaction which hasn't been thought through at all, made up by someone who considers all cycling dangerous and only for people who can't afford a car.
  • I really don't get all this PC rubbish. It is a DRIVE through, that should make it clear enough. Can't remember the last time I drove a bike or motorbike. :roll:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The Starbucks drive-through in N.Wales that I sometimes go to (for a tax avoidance latte) welcomes cyclists at the drive-through, no problems at all.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    They can serve who they like, we have similar crap with motorcyclist being told to take their lids off when buying petrol. Shop elsewhere. I doubt they care about losing a few latte drinking cyclists as customers. I think their target demographic are obese families on benefits anyway.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Been there and no matter what , they wont serve you.
    After riding away in discust and calming down a little , thinking about it rationally , i think they're right.
    Company has to draw a line in the sand somewhere , otherwise you'd get teenage chavs walking through on foot , jumping the queue , getting in the way of cars and generally being a pain in the a**e.
    So the line was drawn and you need to be sitting in vehicle with 4 wheels , seems fair enough to me.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I don't agree with their drive through policy but I think their coffee is quite good for the price
  • A few of us rode through one on the outskirts of Norwich and were served. Guess they are more used to horse and carts so a bike is acceptable too!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Here in the States they won't even serve motorbikes let alone a bicycle. That was 10 years ago and haven't been back there since. Their food is crap anyways, go someplace that serves real food.
    I'm from Europe but a couple of years ago I was staying for one night in a really dodgy motel in a bad part of Fresno. After trying and failing for half an hour to find anywhere I could buy real food, I tried to buy a fish burger meal on foot from the drive thru counter of the McDonalds opposite the motel (it was late and the main part of the restaurant was closed). Not only was I refused service, but the guy slammed down the screen (probably bullet proof) and had his finger poised near the alarm button... In the end I had to walk the 10 meters to the motel car park, start up the hire car and drive it through in order to get some food. Insane, but as it turns out understandable - the next day (I swear I am not making this up) I was phoned by a Fresno detective because there had been a murder that same night in the motel room next to the one I was staying in!
  • The girl behind the counter said to me, "Sorry about the wait"

I said, "Dont worry love Im sure youll lose it eventually"
  • I stopped off at the Pilsworth McD's near Bury, was greeted with a smile and a chuckle from every window, had no problems serving me. Felt a bit of a pratt but at least I got served!
  • 99thmonkey wrote:
    The girl behind the counter said to me, "Sorry about the wait"

Classic! :lol:
  • 99thmonkey wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • How ironic would it be to be turned away from riding a bike through a drive through for lack of insurance purposes, to then walk into the McDs, slip on the floor in your cleated shoes, and then need to claim on their insurance for a broken bone which wouldn't have occurred had the manager not turned you away from the drive through window.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't quite understand why you can't just park your bike/motorcycle outside, go inside and get your food/drink from inside the restaurant. Why you would want to buy the $hit they sell I don't know, but that's a whole different discussion lol
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    giant man wrote:
    I don't quite understand why you can't just park your bike/motorcycle outside

I personally don't leave my bike unattended, especially if not locked, outside.

And that reason has already been used further up the thread.

I don't go to McDonalds anyway, even Starbucks is a push for me.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    oh believe me I know what you mean, no starbucks for me either.
  • Werbo
    Werbo Posts: 109
    I got served in a shopping trolley once on a drunken night out, iv also seen two people on horses go through.
  • giant man wrote:
    Why you would want to buy the $hit they sell I don't know

I can't believe this thread went for 17 replies before the above post :mrgreen:

+1 BTW
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    99thmonkey wrote:

Hilarious :mrgreen:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    adey8ball wrote:
    hello

said that their insurance doesn't cover bikes in the drive thru, in case i was hit by a car.

So how does that differ from the public highway or THEIR car park???

If your allowed in the car park you are allowed in the drive through surely!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I think it's good. Mac D's obviously appreciate cyclists endevour to look after themselves and as such refuse to serve them any kind of sh1t they dish out.

It's called knowing your target customer. Turn up on a mobility scooter if you really want to be sure you'll get served at the drive-thru. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Just take your bike inside with you, I've done it before to get a coffee and no one said a thing.

FWIW, McDs is ok for the price actually, or at least the espresso was last time I had one. Better than starbucks anyway.
  • Werbo wrote:
    I got served in a shopping trolley once on a drunken night out, iv also seen two people on horses go through.
    +1 on the shopping trolley. Didn't even bat an eye lid as I remember.
    I've always been served on my bike, guess I've been lucky :)

I've been refused service on foot though :lol:

fyi, the reason the intercom doesn't work is due to the fact it's weight dependant.
  • I'm sure getting served in these circumsances rests on the staff manning the drive-thru, there'll be those who frown on it and others who don't care. Not that I'd ever use a McDonalds, much better places with better views and better coffee to stop for coffee/refuelling. But hey, at least coffee is coffee and not the calorie laden crap that's their excuse for food.
  • Wulz
    Wulz Posts: 100
    Its quite obvious why they wont serve you under theses circumstances, you forgot to do the engine idleing noise. Last drunk night out i asked for the order and my chum did the engine noise. The girl was just about to serve us but the manager stepped in and asked us to leave. Ah well, saved us from a few grams of transfats i suppose.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    ethanhayes wrote:
    Werbo wrote:

I've been refused service on foot though :lol:

fyi, the reason the intercom doesn't work is due to the fact it's weight dependant.

Things like car park barriers, some traffic lights and safety cameras at traffic lights work on induction not weight. There's a wire coil in the road surface and a large metallic moving object (such as a car) will cause a current to flow through it.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby