Half and Half Pedals!

supergrass
supergrass Posts: 123
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im after some pedals costing no more than 50 quid. I usually ride flats but fancy being brave and going clipped in.. However im not feeling totally brave and fancy a half and half soloution.

The 2 ive been recommended are the Shimano M324 or the Crank brother mallets.. Any one got any other recommendations.

Comments

• Buy a pedal spanner and swap as needed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1/2 n1/2 total waste of time they are the worst of both.

the Crank brother mallets are just a pedal with a platform the mecanism is still there to get in the way so not good for using without cleats.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m424-spd-pedals/

I use these on the Minxy (I have XT cleats on the other bikes) so that if I can't clip in on some downhill trail then at least I have a stable platform and stand a chance of getting to the bottom in one peice!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The M424's are a good start. However, if you use a stiff soled shoe then the added cage really wont make that much difference IMO, as all you will feel is the raised clip part. If you use trainer style with a spd bit then you will get more of a feel but its still minimal.

Half and Half is a really bad idea! The weight of the Flat part will always be at the bottom and so you will always be flipping the pedal to get a footing.

Personally id start with the 424 or just splash out a huge £15 on some 520's with no cage.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I have some old half and halfs... I would not bother. The flat side is too small and the SPD side is a pain to use. They are OK for road use - but not for trail riding. Buy a pedal spanner and swap.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Bought some m520s to try clipless and see how i liked them but left the plastic flat on one side just in case. tbh like others have said they were hard work, the spd side had to be right side up to clip in which isn't always easy and when going down singletrack on the flat i found many occasions where i bounced off and ended up clipped in anyway.

Like everyone else says use one or the other it doesn't take long to swap pedals over if need be
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    I run M647's (like the 424's but better) on both my mountain bike and hybrid. They do have clips both sides but you can unclip and ride on the cage for any bits you're not sure about. I had half and half when I first went clipless and found it a pain to keep flipping the pedal over to get to the clip side.

Once you go clipless, you won't look back. I am getting a road bike soon via cycle to work and will get a cageless pedal, but I will never regret getting the M647's. I like the feeling of a cage to plant my foot on when clipped in, seems (probably psychologically) that it gives me more power when flooring it.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I started off with M424's, only used for a couple of rides, fine when clipped in but if you do come out of the clip you end up looking down too much when trying to get the correct side, they just wern't natural enough to use, plus they are heavy compared to a standard clipless pedal. I switched to M540's and can't see myself ever using flats but that's just a personal choice.
  • Cheers Guys for the responces... i have been talked out out half and half pedals. Ive still got my old flats if i dont like being clipped in so ive just ordered some shimao m520's and going clipped in