Independent Commission - UCI and Armstrong

2»

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    iainf72 wrote:

While you're technically correct (I'm led to believe, can't put my finger on the exact paragraph of the code) it would probably be possible to outsource doping control and results management to an external service while maintaining direct responsibility. I doubt WADA would actually object, more likely they'd see it as a possible model to deal exactly this sort of conflict of interest that we have now. I imagine they'd happily rewrite the code to accommodate it, if it wasn't already technically possible, probably rubbing their hands at the thought of jobs for the boys while they do so.

i know its not possible because either Howman or Fahey explained why not in an interview. I will try find the link

:-) Think I probably read the same link, ages ago.

My guess is that the code is worded so that International and National sporting organisations have to take responsibility for anti-doping in their sports. They probably didn't envisage this particular case when they were writing it, more about getting sports to actually do some testing. That's why I say it's probably technically part of the code, somehow, but there may be loopholes and it may not have been intended to actually prevent an independent organisation actually carrying out the role.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Could they not just do some organisational reshuffling? This is sort of linked in with how I feel towards the recent pressure group.

Fat Pat's job is too big/he's too visible. I would create x different departments within the UCI, whose heads are responsible to the president. Those departments would be along the following lines:

Anti Doping.
    Pro Road
    Amateur Road and Track
    BMX
    MTB
    Misc.

I might be totally wrong here, but the issue seems to be that Pat Mc elected by people who don't necessarily have the interests of pro cycling at heart, but rather, the growth of the sport at grass roots level (for example). However, Pat to have a lot of influence over the professional side of the sport.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The Independent Commission to look into the Armstrong business, has been named by the UCI:

Have to say, after all of 30 seconds thinking about this...this is more promising...lots of people arent going to like this but its just possible that the UCI have played a blinder[
    Well in my 30 seconds the conclusion was that it is a cover up by the UCI to wriggle out of their lack of action with LA.
    The Armstrong business has been painstakingly done by the USADA and in their method of going public they have shown the UCI as incompetent.

The next step is a painstaking review of the UCI.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    The UCI is not going to vote itself out of existence or remove itself from the 1 area that impacts on its ability to make money..so this commission will find in its own favour....