Pedals

bartiebat
bartiebat Posts: 97
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hello, I'm a mountain biker who borrowed a friends road bike last night....oh ok, I could potentially be lured! :) Now if I was to add a foal the the stables, his pedals were horrid, so do I just add my usual mountain bike pedals (I have superstar nanos) or do road bikes need different pedals (I'd want flats)

Thank you
Karen

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    you can use mtb pedals - i see a fair number of people riding spd pedals
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    New to road riding myself, but seem to be managing at the moment with spd's and mountain bike shoes.
    I was going to ride flats, as I did on my mountain bike, but found I didn't get on with them on the road for some reason???
    I had SPD's lying around and fitted those as a temporary option, but they are working fine.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    I use mtb pedals, & they're fine. Go with what feels right for you.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    edited November 2012
    I use Shimanao A600s - a very light road style pedal for normal SPD cleats

SHIMPEDA735000000000_1_large.jpg

Review here:

http://road.cc/content/review/16799-shi ... -spd-pedal

You can get them from CRC/Ribble for about £45 at the moment.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use the m520 spd's on both road and mtb.
  • Lovely. Thanks for your replys :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    M540's on my road bike. (The colour matched the chainset better than the 520's) Love the fact that I can walk normally when I get off the bike.

Can't imagine riding on the road without being clipped in now.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    The OP isn't really asking about SPDs, by the sounds of it he doesn't want to go clipless at all; assuming he doesn't want to straps (god forbid) then good MTB flats would be as good as any. Smooth(er), simple road flats are available but I'm not aware if they offer any meaningful advantage other than looking "right" on a road bike.

Of course the real solution would be to get used to clipless; most folk don't get on with it initially but almost invariably become converts in time.
  • DesB3rd wrote:
    The OP isn't really asking about SPDs, by the sounds of it he doesn't want to go clipless at all; assuming he doesn't want to straps (god forbid) then good MTB flats would be as good as any. Smooth(er), simple road flats are available but I'm not aware if they offer any meaningful advantage other than looking "right" on a road bike.

Of course the real solution would be to get used to clipless; most folk don't get on with it initially but almost invariably become converts in time.

Not sure the OP is a he, but that's by the by.

I've just started using spd's on the road, but have had no issues using flats up 'til now. Wellgo do some fairly lightweight and thinner profiled ones. Have a search for that brand online.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dellsinho wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:

Not sure the OP is a he, but that's by the by.

I've just started using spd's on the road, but have had no issues using flats up 'til now. Wellgo do some fairly lightweight and thinner profiled ones. Have a search for that brand online.

I think by signing off the OP with "Thanks, Karen" it's probably safe to say he's actually a she.

But flats do look odd on a road bike.
  • keef66 wrote:
    M540's on my road bike.

+1
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • If you really do want flats (and there's nothing wrong with that), clips and straps are a great compromise; just don't tighten them, and if you want the flat platform for other reasons (eg. riding in 'ordinary' shoes), you can just ride clip-down.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    To expand on my original answer a little, as there seems to be a bit of confusion creeping in....

During my mountain biking years, I hated clip in's after having a few unplanned dismounts and accompanying injuries, when slipping off rock gardens etc, and always used flat pedals afterwards.
    Since switching to riding on the road, I've actually found I prefer to be clipped in, after having a go on flats for a couple of weeks.
    I just started with the pedals set really loose, and tightened them up a bit every other ride.

Maybe I just made the mistake of buying awful road flats, instead of using my old trusted ones?
    Can't see myself going back though :wink:
  • Unless you go for specific MTB or BMX flats, there's only so much variation between them; I have some typical cheap plastic ones and some older rat traps and have used both with and without clips and straps. They just aren't ideal for keeping your feet in place for spinning faster cadences with confidence and climbing out of the saddle (etc); there isn't a great deal more to it.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Agree with all the arguments for and against flat pedals and clipless pedals. If you really MUST have flats on your road bike I'd suggest these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52882

Small, light, grippy enough.
  • keef66 wrote:
    M540's on my road bike. (The colour matched the chainset better than the 520's) Love the fact that I can walk normally when I get off the bike.

Can't imagine riding on the road without being clipped in now.

^this +1

i have mountain bike SPD's on my road bike too..... i can walk normally in them after getting off.... the other guys in the group have to clop around like bambi on ice with their road specific shoes...... i was also chatting with a shop owner on saturday and we were discussing the advantages between road and mtb SPD's and he was a convert to mtb pedals as there is generally no difference in footbed stiffness between the shoes and you get the additional grip off the bike.
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    on my first road bike I went flats to SPD's - and I never looked back - well that was, not until I used proper road pedals. After using proper road pedals (in my case Look pedals) I went back to SPD's for a few weeks - I have now sold my 2 pairs of SPD's pedals and shoes - the Look pedals are more comfortable - more less sideways flex and easier and smoother to get in and out of. Given the cost of pedals and shoes and cleats I think it is a false economy to use SPD's - just my feeling but having owned 5 different pedals in the last 2 years I say it with a reasonable amount of testing!