cocona xcelerator waterproof jackets?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting a Mavic HC H2O jacket. They used to use Goretex paclite, but the new version uses Cocona Xcelerator fabric. Supposedly super breathable and waterproof with taped seams.

Only thing that is stopping me pressing the button is I cannot find anything anywhere online that states how the fabric should be cared for. I know Event should be washed frequently and tumble dried to rejuvenate the water repellency of the fabric. I think Gore tex Active Shell is similar to Event.

So, anyone know whether Cocona Xcelerator needs regular washing, and tumble drying?
cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I bought the red/white/black version of this jacket in April this year as an all year round wet weather jacket. I am impressed by the design features such as vents, sleeves, pockets, fit, fabric softness etc., but I'm not overly impressed by its waterproof abilities in heavy downpours as the fabric seems to saturate quickly and you get damp underneath.

I wore it during the summer and it was a tad too warm when it wasn't raining, but it's great on cooler days with one or two layers underneath.

I've washed it a few times @ 30C with some Grangers proofing which was recommended by my LBS with no ill effects.

Nice jacket as it is, I'm left wondering if it would be better made from Goretex.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks Bobones, interesting feedback. I did have a look at the earlier gore tex paclite version, which is very thin and "rustley" compared to the 2012/13 version which has a more substantial feeling fabric (not sure the goretex paclite would stand up too well in an "off" :cry: ).
    Being a sweaty so and so I wanted the most breathable fabric I could find, and the additional vents also seem a great idea, but if not totally waterproof it seems an expensive investment.
    I also had a look at the Sportful Survival Gore tex in active shell fabric, but I was between sizes I think. The fabric appears to work exceptionally well at being both highly breathable and waterproof, but it has little by way of additional venting and no pockets whatsoever...Perhaps the hunt continues?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...