Back to MTB

wellbeloved747
wellbeloved747 Posts: 406
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
A while back when I wanted to get back into biking I picked up a Carrera centos from halfords. To get the the track it was about a 3 mile road stretch and I wanted to commute more so I got a road bike and it was infectious. I am currently building a top of the range carbon road bike however as everyone at school has mountain bikes and being at the foot of the moor I believe it it time to invest.

I will use the bike for riding in wet condition and up and down the moors .

A full Suss has always been appealing so I believe I may get a full Suss but will I bet better with a 26 inch or a 29 inch?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    From the little you have written it sounds like you want a mountain bike to keep up with other more than actually wanting one!

Personally I would suggest you start out on a hardtail, but you haven't given us enough to go on.

What kind of riding will you be doing?
    What are you local trails like?
    Do you like going out for all day jaunts or messing around?
    Is speed the most important thing to you?
    What is your budget?

Don't spend a huge amount on something that you haven't fully bought into. You may hate it and stick with road bikes.

If your friends have mountain bikes why not try some of theirs to help steer you in the right direction?
  • As this is all pure fantasy anyway, why not go for something s-works.

Epic or Enduro, or what the hell, stick both in your sig.

You'll need a DH bike to go with that too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He'll want an Urban bike, NS Surge would be nice, an XC so a Trek Superfly Elite (Al for budget), Trail, so a Pivot mach429 would tick that box, All Mountain, and then a DH, no point messing around.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.