Groan rear wheel under load

ed_j
ed_j Posts: 335
edited December 2012 in Workshop
Hello all, wondering if I hear your opinions on the infamous 'creak'.

When out of the saddle pedaling my rear wheel seriously groans (Mavic Aksium). I'm at uni in Bristol so don't visit my local LBS (Gloucestershire) unless I'm home. It's a problem I thought had been solved, as my bike groaned every time I put power down on the left crank. My LBS suggested I remove the crank arm, give it a clean and go from there. So I did, and problem solved, 30 mile ride, no issues whatsoever. However, now I'm back in Bristol, the bleeding groan is back! I cleaned the crank arm again, no luck, but I found undoing the QR on the rear brake seemed to solve the problem... So is my rear wheel flexing under load and rubbing the brake pads or something? Confused :?

Comments

• I always suggest this because it was so hard to track down and you'd never think of it....but anyway, as a very long shot, have you got a spoke protector disc fitted ?
    I had a creak on the wifes bike, turned out to be the disc rubbing against the spokes. Took me three weeks to find it :evil:
  • ed_j
    Unfortunately it doesn't :(
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If as you say undoing the brake QR stops the noise, then brake rub seems the likely explanation. I can make my RS10's flex enough to rub the brake blocks if I really stomp up a climb. Then again, it sounds just like the brakes hitting the rim. Certainly wouldn't describe it as a groan.
  • Could also be pedals/cleats. It's always difficult to hear exactly where the noise is coming from IMHO...

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • ed_j
    Thanks for the input. I'm thinking it may have groaned because of dirty pads/wheels. Is there a cure for wheel flex, could my spokes be loose?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Some wheels are more flexy than others. Unless your spokes really are loose I wouldn't try tightening them as a means of reducing flex. Just settle for a bit more clearance between brake block and rim on the rear if the noise troubles you. Most of your braking should be done at the front anyway
  • senrab
    senrab Posts: 10
    I had same problem with these wheels a drop of lube on spoke cross over points and were spokes attach to hub no more groaning noise.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Q/R skewers not tight enough, pedal threads dry there are so many possibilities. all free fixes unless you take it to an LBS and pay for there time.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.