Giant Defy Advanced 1 a bit overpriced?

champson
champson Posts: 57
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
I am looking to get myself a Giant Defy Advanced road bike and have been comparing the '2' and the '1' as they are both roughly within my budget. It seems the only mechanical difference between the two is the inclusion of Ultegra groupset on the 1, compared with 105 on the 2. An unscientific google shows that the Ultegra groupset is less than £200 more than the 105, so how do Giant justify an extra 500 notes for the Ultegra equipped bike?

Would I be better going for the 1 and spending the extra cash on a better wheelset?

Cheers,
Charlie.

Comments

• Looking at the Giant web site compare function it seems that a few other parts may be different as well. Saddle, bars, possibly tyres. But it does seem like a big hike in the price. You do get red paint though!
  • gloomyandy wrote:
    ... You do get red paint though!

... which is faster! 8) :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
  • andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I'd say get the cheaper one and get some nice wheels; £500 will get you some pretty decent wheels. I've got 105 and Ultegra and whilst Ultegra is a bit lighter and is nicely finished (105 is too) back to back there isn't much difference, possibly the biggest difference is the chainset on which Ultegra does very well.

The saddle may be upgraded but given the fact saddle choice is quite personal you may find yourself wanting to swap it anyway.
  • gloomyandy wrote:
    Looking at the Giant web site compare function it seems that a few other parts may be different as well. Saddle, bars, possibly tyres. But it does seem like a big hike in the price. You do get red paint though!
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I used the compare feature and the only difference seems to be:

Defy Advanced 2 Defy Advanced 1
    Handlebar: Giant Connect SL Giant Contact

Which some googling reveals to be about 20 quid difference. All the other bits such as wheels, frame etc are the same parts. Seems a lot to pay 300 quid extra for a different colour saddle!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Seems odd.. go into the shop and barter them down £100. Sorted.
  • Last years US model, Better spec and much cheaper.
    I've just bought one.
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-de ... 75256.html
  • I took my Defy advanced 1 out for its maiden voyage yesterday and it was great, I've owned a 2010 TCR advanced for the last few yrs and there was a noticeable difference.
    You could feel the beefier front end on the defy and there was less road vibration through the rear, When out of the saddle the acceleration was equal but the length a the defy made the handling a little less quick.
    A truly great bike, Full sram force and 16lbs on the button.
  • I took my Defy advanced 1 out for its maiden voyage yesterday and it was great, I've owned a 2010 TCR advanced for the last few yrs and there was a noticeable difference.
    You could feel the beefier front end on the defy and there was less road vibration through the rear, When out of the saddle the acceleration was equal but the length a the defy made the handling a little less quick.
    A truly great bike, Full sram force and 16lbs on the button.
    Sounds great, is the Sram Force roughly equal to Ultegra?
  • That's debatable, I prefer it, I rode shimano from the early 90s but I'm a sram convert.
    Force weighs less than dura ace and works fine.
    In srams pecking order it would be equivalent to Ultegra.