One glove for winter or layers?

Danny_B9
Danny_B9 Posts: 55
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Need a pair of gloves in general, new to cycling and still building up a collection of equipment. Anyway do I go for a specific winter glove that attempts to be waterproof and keep your hands warm or do I go for like a layering sytem in as maybe some warm windproof gloves that can be used in warmer temps and keep a neoprene pair in my pocket for if it rains? Whats everyone's experience and general opinion on this?

I went for my first ride the other night just 7 miles to my gf's and it was 7'c, so i put on some old ski gloves which were way too warm and for the 25 mins it took me to get there my hands were drenched, warm though but too warm for the temp...

This has left me so confused to what to go for. I will be riding longer rides around 2 hours at weekends and commuting in the week, maybe odd longer ride in the week.
Cannondale Supersix Apex

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I go for two layers because i don't like the bulk of the full-on winter glove,when it's cold i use the Endura windchill glove and if it's really cold i'll put a liner glove on as well, this sees me through any weather, plus you don't look like your handling liquid nitrogen and you can change gear with ease.
  • Bozman wrote:
    I go for two layers because i don't like the bulk of the full-on winter glove,when it's cold i use the Endura windchill glove and if it's really cold i'll put a liner glove on as well, this sees me through any weather, plus you don't look like your handling liquid nitrogen and you can change gear with ease.

How does this combo for you work in wet weather? I get realy hot in general so layering sounds like a better option and we all no how one day in the uk it is wet and cold and next nice and mild. Did not want situtation of one pair of gloves being rendered useless for anything near 7+ degrees.
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I always go for flexibility - so liner gloves and outer shells. You can even then have a spare set of liners at the tea stop for you to put on if they've got damp.

So I have merino wool liners which either go inside a neoprene paddling glove if it's wet, or a different windproof if it's freezing. And if you've got it wrong on the ride you can whip off the liners.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    I always go for flexibility - so liner gloves and outer shells. You can even then have a spare set of liners at the tea stop for you to put on if they've got damp.

So I have merino wool liners which either go inside a neoprene paddling glove if it's wet, or a different windproof if it's freezing. And if you've got it wrong on the ride you can whip off the liners.

Sounds just what I was thinking of but wanted some sort of experience from someone before I had a look at what too buy. Any rcomendations, how much would you look at spending?
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Danny_B9 wrote:
    Sounds just what I was thinking of but wanted some sort of experience from someone before I had a look at what too buy. Any rcomendations, how much would you look at spending?

I just buy things on offer... so I have both Icebreaker, Odlo, and generic wool liners. And I have Odlo, Rose and other outers. The neoprene gloves are cheap paddling ones from MEC (so not a lot of use unless you go to Canada)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Danny_B9 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

How does this combo for you work in wet weather? I get realy hot in general so layering sounds like a better option and we all no how one day in the uk it is wet and cold and next nice and mild. Did not want situtation of one pair of gloves being rendered useless for anything near 7+ degrees.

Breathability is always an issue with fully waterproof gloves but i've found the Endura ok, it's just the back of the glove that's waterproof(apparently) but i haven't had any problems. It hasn't been cold enough for two layers yet but I was out on Saturday in cold wet conditions and they were fine, i was out last Wednesday in pouring rain and flooded roads and the gloves were soaked but my hands weren't cold. Everybody's hands deal with temperature in there own way so it's hard to go by somebody's review.