Any gps units which can be easily used on cycle or run?

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Garmin seem to make good kit, easy to use, but any options for cycle and run options as a 2 in 1?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• The Forerunner 610 does both, and it's been pretty good while I've had it.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Forerunner 310xt. Better for the bike than the FR610.
    More problems but still living....
  • Before I bought an Edge 800 I was using my FR610 for both, you can get a mount for the bars if you'd rather have it strapped in front of you rather than on your wrist.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Before I bought an Edge 800 I was using my FR610 for both, you can get a mount for the bars if you'd rather have it strapped in front of you rather than on your wrist.

Can you remove the strap and use a QR watch strap kit like with the 310xt? That way you have a proper bike computer when it's on the bike (and not a watch wrapped around the bars), yet you can swap it to the watch strap with zero phaffing.
    More problems but still living....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I shove my edge 705 down my shorts.

I really do.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Before I bought an Edge 800 I was using my FR610 for both, you can get a mount for the bars if you'd rather have it strapped in front of you rather than on your wrist.

Can you remove the strap and use a QR watch strap kit like with the 310xt? That way you have a proper bike computer when it's on the bike (and not a watch wrapped around the bars), yet you can swap it to the watch strap with zero phaffing.

No, I don't think so. It's just a mount like this.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunn ... mount-kit/
  • amaferanga wrote:

Can you remove the strap and use a QR watch strap kit

No, the strap is pretty much integrated with the face. It can be removed, but even then I don't think anyone makes a QR strap that would fit it.

It is definitely aimed more at runners than cyclists though, and that feature of the 310xt does sound more cyclist friendly.

As an aside note, rather than paying for the garmin mount you can use that foam stuff that gets wrapped round pipes instead. It can be found in B&Q and is much cheaper.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The 305, 310XT and 910Xt are the original, recent and newest Garmin multisport watches respectively.

I've been using a Forerunner 305 with quick release kit for a couple of years and I've been very happy with it. The only thing I sometimes got annoyed with was it's slow satellite acquisition.
    I bought it in 2008 and used it for just running/hiking initially but have been using it predominantly on the bike for the last 2 years. The side buttons are starting to fail now and I'm considering the 910XT as a replacement. The 910XT costs more than I want to spend but I think it's the best option for me. I think the going price at the moment is €450 (~£350) with the heart monitor strap included or €400 (~£310) without the strap. If you want a speed/cadence sensor, quick release kit, etc they'll be extras.

The 305 was great value but the price has gone up instead of down over the past few years (probably because it was robbing too many sales from the newer versions) and I think it is, or will soon be, discontinued although there are still some for sale. The 310XT wasn't a big advance over the 305 as far as I could see and was initially a lot more expensive. I think the only major difference was it being fully waterproof. However, you might be able to get it for a pretty good price now that the 910XT has been released a while.

The 910XT is functionally another small advance over the 310XT.
    It's got a barometer, it can interface with power meters and it has a bunch of new swim functions. It's also looks to be physically tidier. There's a quick release kit for it which makes it compatible with the Garmin Edge bike computer quarter turn mounts so it can be moved easily between your wrist and the handlebar.

It's a bit pricey but not much more expensive than the 610 mentioned in earlier posts. From what I can see the 610 is a really nice running watch that might meet your cycling needs but it's optimised for running. Whereas the 910XT is the do-anything watch. It gives you the same functionality as an Edge 500 for cycling and and is also a full function waterproof running watch with some swimming functions and other miscellaneous stuff.

It's worth checking out http://www.dcrainmaker.com for GPS device reviews. He provides by far the most comprehensive reviews I've seen. Way more detail than you're likely to want but well worth a skim if you're considering any GPS sports device. I thinks he's reviewed every Garmin devices and several from Motorola, Timex, Polar, etc too.

hope this helps
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    If you have a smartphone, Endomondo is a good app. I use it on my Blackberry, well impressed so far.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • No, I don't think so. It's just a mount like this.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunn ... mount-kit/

+1

I cable tie a Polar bike mount to my handlebars for my Forerunner 305. Works a treat. A wind or two of electrical tape under the mount area means the ties don't damage the bar's finish.
  • ai_1
    I've just got myself the Garmin Forerunner 910XT that I mentioned in my previous post.
    It's definitely a more compact watch thant the 305 and 310 although similar in weight.
    I got the quick release and I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of bulk this adds for running. It's not really any more compact than my existing 305 when both are set up for quick release. However it's certainly ideal for bike use with the quick release and it's a nice running watch without it. It's a pity the quick release adds so much bulk. If you don't want to install the quick release you could strap it around the bars or leave it on your wrist for cycling but I'm not willing to go back to that approach after being used to the 305 quick release. It's just a pity that as a purpose designed triathlon watch it doesn't have a tidier means of switching it between wrist and handlebar.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I bought a Garmin Forerunner 410 recently. It is probably more for running but you can buy handlebar mount and cadence accessories. Usage takes some time to get right but once you have worked it out it requires minimal input. The only issue is that the screen is watch sized so difficult to use if you need reading glasses like me.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    I've a 410 too, For running it is ok, not a fan of it on the bike. I would look to the 310xt or 910xt for a genuine multisport watch. The 410 / 610 are running watches that can be used on the bike.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Have a 405 for running and have used it for biking but was not the best option. Battery life and memory are not good enough for longer rides. Now I have an edge 500 for cycling and I reckon it would make a pretty good running watch as it isn't too big. I have seen it worn on the wrist and it looked ok
  • I have a 310xt that I use for running and cycling (including Duathlons) and it has functioned very well for my needs. I am not the sort of person that is always looking at it while running or cycling, but it is useful to check my pace/cadence. After finishing training or racing I input to Connect and then onto Strava.
    I have not tried for swimming, but presume that it would be fine for that also.
  • ai_1
    I have a 310xt that I use for running and cycling (including Duathlons)....
    Do you use the quick release kit for the 310XT or do you wear it on your wrist on the bike (I presume you don't spend time wrapping it around the bars in the middle of duathlons)?
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Have a 405 for running and have used it for biking but was not the best option. Battery life and memory are not good enough for longer rides. Now I have an edge 500 for cycling and I reckon it would make a pretty good running watch as it isn't too big. I have seen it worn on the wrist and it looked ok

I've got a Forerunner 405CX, which was replaced under warranty last year. The first one had a battery life of 5 hours; the second 10 hours! The current unit is good for cycling in the dry, given the battery life. It is easily attached to the bike using the Garmin bike mount or a length of bubble wrap. Memory seems fine, even if recording splits ever kilometer. The only downside is the lack of cumulative altitude gain on the display, though you get altitude info when data is uploaded to Garmin Connent etc.

The big downside is that it is not waterproof and goes doolally (ie display locks are goes into autoscroll) on a wet ride. My warranty replacement was due to it getting waterlogged in the 2011 running of the Tour of the Pennines.

Other than the waterproofing issue, it's perfect for running, as it is not much bigger than a normal wrist watch. My previous Garmin, a Forerunner 101 was not confortable to wear, being the size of a 1980s mobile phone. Given the Forerunner 405's name, I guess it is primarily designed for running.

I'd really like an Edge 500 for cycling, but shelling out for a second GPS device seems like a waste of money, when I could spend the cash on colour-coordinating my tyres and pedals!

Also, having "Garminned" all my regular training routes, I know the length and height gain on all local climbs, so the need for a Garmin is dramatically reduced, other than when on a "fast one" to target Strava KoMs!
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Depends what you do more of.

If you do more running, I'd get a 310XT or a 910 if you can afford it. The 910 has the ability to take it swimming and record distance in a pool.

If you do more cycling then get a 500.

They both use the same mounting, so can use the quick mount kit and the GSC10 (the only thing you will get extra with a 310/910 is the ability to use the footpod [I don't think the 500 supports that) so you can use it indoors or know your run cadence. If you want to know what it looks like for running, go and search DC Rainmaker and look at his 500 review, he shows how it can be used for running there.

Oh one more thing. The Forerunners can switch between sport modes, so you can have running and cycling settings.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon