Sora 8 Speed Rear Derailleur

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
I think my rear derailleur needs replacing. It's on an old SJS Cycles bike and the components must be about 7 years old. I was thinking of replacing the rear cassette, chain as well as the derailleur. Do I need to replace with 8 speed stuff (I assume I do unless I change my shifters)? If so do I just buy other Sora 8 speed components? The problem is that I'm not sure what the 'model' number is. It looks like a 3300 derailleur though I'm not sure whether I can get the 3400 derailleur and I'm not sure whether I should get a long one or short one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Why do you feel that the derailleur needs replacing and for that matter the chain and cassette? If the shifting is not as reliable as it was then this could be down to a simple cable adjustment, however if the cassette is worn ie the teeth are more pointed then just change the cassette and chain. I've only ever replaced one rear derailleur in the past and it was Campag and the small metal cable adjuster snapped off when the bike fell over.
  • You don't need to stick to 8 speed derailleur, a new Sora 3500 series will work fine and also give the option of a wider gearing. But, are you sure that the derailleur needs replacing?
  • With the Sora 3500 you can have a 37 tooth capacity with up to a 32 tooth on the back.
  • Thanks for the info

Before I buy I'm going to double check with LBS.

In any event as I would like to keep the bike then I would have thought that replacing the above components and the cables would make the shifting better. After all the existing ones have been used a lot over the past 7 years or so!