105 5700 brake levers - stiff pull

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited November 2012 in Workshop
The pull on both sides of my 105 5700 brake levers has stiffened up on the last few weeks -> i presume since I've been riding in wetter, muckier conditions?

Is there an easy fix for this?

(also I'm 95% sure its the STIs and not the brakes or cables themselves causing the problem)

Comments

• It's more likely to be your cables or calipers as they are out in the crud. The brake lever part of the levers is a pivot and the cable holder. Disconnect your cable at the caliper and sort out which bit is stiff, often it's crud and corrosion in the cables, occasionally the pivots on the caliper can seize up. Inspect the cables for damage if OK a clean and lube will probably sort it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    It's more likely to be your cables or calipers as they are out in the crud. The brake lever part of the levers is a pivot and the cable holder. Disconnect your cable at the caliper and sort out which bit is stiff, often it's crud and corrosion in the cables, occasionally the pivots on the caliper can seize up. Inspect the cables for damage if OK a clean and lube will probably sort it.

Thanks - you were right!

it felt like the friction was from the shifter but I was wrong :oops:
  • No worries
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed