Lightweight packable waterproof

boileroo
boileroo Posts: 18
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Looking for a rain jacket that I can keep in a back pocket and whip out in the event of an rain related emergency. Heard good things about Pocket Rockets, anyone recommend anything different? Thanks!

Comments

• Or possibly the montane featherlite velo?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Or even the Aldi rain jacket. Get a bright colour whatever you choose.
  • Cycling Weekly website has a group test/review of this type of jacket. Mine's a Mavic, very packable, and a good compromise of (1) waterproofness and (2) breathability.

In the end each is a balance of these two things, each inversely related to the other. If you ride hard, it's generally accepted that you will get wet, the key is staying warm by having no wind chill on your damp torso.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    boileroo wrote:
    Looking for a rain jacket that I can keep in a back pocket and whip out in the event of an rain related emergency. Heard good things about Pocket Rockets, anyone recommend anything different? Thanks!

Are you sure?

http://www.bondara.co.uk/ultimate-pocke ... tor-purple
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I recommend the dhb clear race jacket. I bought mine about five years ago to replace my ageing Assos clear jacket. It looks and feels very similar to the Assos, has a good snug fit and performs just as well as the Assos, which cost about five times the price.

The dhb jacket will easily fit into a jersey back pocket and works well as a windproof layer without making you sweaty. It is showerproof, dries out quickly and is surprisingly good in rain - not really suitable for touring or commuting but good for energetic riding in the wet, such as a Welsh sportive.

Like the Assos, the dhb's clear membrane fabric is very light and thin and is easily damaged so you need to treat it with care. However, again like the Assos, I've repaired it successfully with cotton and thread.

I've also got a Montane Featherlight but prefer the dhb as it's less flappy and more weatherproof.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Do not buy the Castelli Sottile, its totally, 120% crap. A mobile sauna and after a few washes (hand I might add) turns an unusual flithy shade of Brown / Grey.

Castelli Marketing if you are reading this its the worst €80 I've ever spent.

I have since bitten the bullet which I should have done the first time and bought a Gore Oxygen AS. A fantastic Jacket that I have no doubt will last at least 3 seasons unlike the Castelli's 3 rides.

If you are on the cheap, Halfords are doing a Dare2B waterproof (which they maintain is breathable) with a long back and high neck which can be had for €22 or so with an online discount. Unless you are dropping €200 or so for a proper breathable packable why spend more? Its really very good value and 100% waterproof.

I picked up one of these Halfords one for the summer rides where you are less likely to get caught out and dont want to be hauling around a €200 Goretex that could fall out of the back pocket.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Montane for me, pack size is great and only £32 on CRC.