cold setting steel frames

edhelli
edhelli Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Workshop
Hi

I was wondering if any has had any experience in cold setting steel frames. I currently have a SS on an old-ish steel frame, I know as much from the previous owner that it is a decent Reynolds frame but am unsure of the make/model as it has been previously powder coated. It has a rear O.L.D of 120 (it's actually about 122). I want to fit an Alfine 8 hub to keep the clean look of the bike, this would mean cold setting the frame to 135 O.L.D. Is this a big ask for a steel frame? Is it safe to cold set it that much? It would mean setting the rear stays a further 6.5mm out on each side.

Would really appreciate any advice here!

Many thanks.

Comments

• I would ask if you need the jump to 135mm as I take it this is a road frame and the usual width for these is 130mm. which would accommodate a road hub.To spread to 135mm would need the rear drop-outs to be re-aligned once the rear has been spread. Sheldon has a good method in my view which does work:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
  • It is a bit much and you will have to not only cold set, but also realign the dropouts, which will end up bent vertically and not up to the job of holding the wheel in place (big issue in horizontal dropouts frame). Your frame clearly screams to stay a single speed.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I wouldn't do it. That's too big of an ask for a 120mm frame. As the above poster says, it is screaming to remain a single speed!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You could try cold setting to 126mm which will take a 7 speed wheel. 130mm is standard road bike 8/9/10/11 speed but from 120mm this is quite a stretch, literally. 135mm is mountain bike spacing.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    You could try cold setting to 126mm which will take a 7 speed wheel. 130mm is standard road bike 8/9/10/11 speed but from 120mm this is quite a stretch, literally. 135mm is mountain bike spacing.

Yes, but the availability of 126 mm hubs is somewhat inhexistent... Phil Wood still make them, but Phil wood products are not exactly budget...
    left the forum March 2023
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and as the OP wants to fit an alfine 8spd hub none of the above work.

different frame time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys, I thought it was a big jump but wanted to check first, it will remain a single speed I guess, unless anyone has any views on the Sturmey Archer Duomatic...I just hate spinning out at speed!