New wheels, The Alan Parsons Project

alanparsons
alanparsons Posts: 529
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hello all,
I have a Wiler Montegrappa and am thinking of a wheel upgrade, the original wheels are WARP branded with shimano hubs and Maxxis Detonator tyres. They are OK in my newbie opinion but I keep hearing that a wheel upgrade can vastly improve a lower end spec bike.
So the budget is around £150. Options I have found are:-

Shimano RS30's, Fulcrum R7's, Miche Race 707 and Mavic Aksium S.

What is the general opinion on these wheels and any other ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Alan.
P.S. I guess this has been done to death on here already, so please feel free to direct me to a previous thread and I will delete this.

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    You're right that upgrading the wheels will make a difference to the bike but, in my opinion (others may disagree),the wheels you are considering are still low end and not worth the outlay.

If you want a quick and noticeable upgrade then change the tyres. Michelin Pro 3 Race can be had for less than £20 a tyre now and are very quick, supple and grippy.

I'd save upgrading the wheels until you can afford a bit more, or maybe look for a second hand pair.

Rob
  • As the wheels on the Wilier have Shimano 2200 hubs with 32 spoke rims I would guess that any of the wheels you suggest would be an upgrade especially if what you are looking for is better looks?

If you add some good tyres you will reduce weight and rolling resistance and increase your enjoyment of the bike.

I would recommend the Aksiums with some Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's that will go nicely with your bike and I feel sure you will feel the difference.
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    You're right that upgrading the wheels will make a difference to the bike but, in my opinion (others may disagree),the wheels you are considering are still low end and not worth the outlay.

If you want a quick and noticeable upgrade then change the tyres. Michelin Pro 3 Race can be had for less than £20 a tyre now and are very quick, supple and grippy.

I'd save upgrading the wheels until you can afford a bit more, or maybe look for a second hand pair.

Rob

+1 on that advice

Yes wheels will make a good upgrade and the makes you have suggested will be OK but not massively different from your current set, however a change of tyres should make a difference to how the bike feels. Often you will find that on most bikes (except the very top of the range) to try to keep costs down and cut corners often the wheels and tyres are not the best.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Yeah get some decent tyres, then save up for some racing 5s
  • Have you named your search for wheels the Alan Parsons project?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Save your money for two reasons:
    1. Now is not the time for wheel upgrading. The vast majority of us will have already put our 'winter wheels' on because cruddy roads (and the salt when it comes) are ideal for wearing expensive rims which can mean a complete wheel replacement for most 'aged' factory sourced wheels. Also, I personally don't feel any benefit of nice wheels when I am mashing it through wind and rain so figure why should I bother wearing out an expensive wheel for no payback.
    2. You can save your dosh thorugh the winter and come out in spring time with some wheels that really will make a difference to the feel of your ride. Factory wheels like RS80 or R3, handbuilts with DuraAce hubs/Excellight rims/Sapim spokes, etc.

As stated, tyres will also make a big difference. If you haven't got them already then you could splash some cash on Conti 4 seasons that will keep you going until the new wheels come along...and then change to something with a real zip like Conti GP4000s or Ultremo ZX (colour coded to match your bike 8) ).
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Have you named your search for wheels the Alan Parsons project?

You beat me too it :lol:
  • yeah, i think so, get some decent tyres, then save up for some racing 5s. very good, thanks for your sharing1.gif
  • http://www.the-alan-parsons-project.com/

OK we will call it The Alan Parsons Project.
    The latest of many projects I have undertaken in my 42 years, most started at school.
    As the bike is an Italian I will be looking at Italian parts to compliment her (except controls as I will stick with Shimano).
    First part of this project is to trim down the weight of the engine on the bike (93kg).
    New wheels will be for next spring, Fulcrum 5 or quattro looking favorite as I can get them from LBS. I will run with the stock wheel through the winter doing 30-50 miles per weekend weather permitting.
    New Seatpost, stem and bars by Cinelli Vai Blanca will be purchased over winter (overall weight saved 500g).
    Selle Italia SL Custom Wilier saddle( -100g).

Now it has been suggested to buy 2nd hand wheels/parts, but I am a litte sceptical. As I will be saving £120 a month on fuel next year I am looking at new or sale price items.

Think this may be a "Prog" Project.
    Cheers Al.
  • If you were Mike Oldfield, you might go for tubulars... :lol:

don't know if the budget is enough to buy you a real upgrade... would keep the money in the pig until the budget gets more substantial...
    left the forum March 2023
  • I think the 500g weight saving of the bars, stem, post and saddle is a little ambitious. Cinelli's Vai series is their basic alu stuff and the WARP kit on the Montegrappa won't be too far off it in weight.

Concentrate on the riding and weight loss for now and stick the cash away for a good set of wheels in the spring.
  • I've been looking at wheels recently too. Je James have the fulcrum racing 5 for £150 just now.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fulcrum- ... 83509.html
  • There's some good advice there Alan. I recently bought a new bike as my winter/wet weather bike and have already had 2 punctures in the stock tyres so they had to go. I simply put a pair of Gator Skins on the standard wheels and the difference was really noticeable.

New wheels will make a difference but at this time of year do you really want to shell out on some nice wheels and ride through the salty winter?