No more prologues in TdF?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2012 in Pro race
It appears they get woeful viewing figures so ASO are thinking of not doing them

Which sort of sucks IMO, as I hate when grand tours start with a road stage
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I bet money'll talk here. I bet host towns will get a better ROI from a prologue.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I love the prologues, hope they don't go :-(
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Can't say I'd miss them - the fewer time trial miles the better.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'm surprised that they get worse TV figures than a bog standard flat stage, even if it finishes on a slope. Host towns surely like prologues - the spectacle goes on for hours regardless of where you are on the course.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I like a short almost insignificant prologue. The start of a GT can be a nervous time for a lot of riders, I would imagine getting that first smallish hurdle over might help to settle some of them down before the stages start in anger.

From a spectator point of view it is a bit like parading the racers around the paddock so that the punters can see what form they are in, and take some photos of their favourites. All good stuff.

Not sure about prologue TTTs tho', they are a different beast altogether. I prefer to see them as a shake up in the first week, which can otherwise be a bit dull.
  • Paul 8v
    Yeah I wasn't a massive fan of the TTT prologue at the Vuelta, if they scrap the prologue at the start of the tour Boardman will hold the record forever :-)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I hope they dont scrap it... I love it as a start to any GT. I similarly hate massed-start opening stages. The Tour is quickly becoming a victim of its own success
    www.dotcycling.com
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    From a spectator point of view it is a bit like parading the racers around the paddock so that the punters can see what form they are in, and take some photos of their favourites. All good stuff.
    Agreed.
    We all can see the team colours on display Ie the smaller wild cards or any TDF rule changes like the Once team had.
    The first road stage has a yellow (or whatever) jersey on show.

My only requirement would be to shoot stupid cameramen who only show bottom brackets, heads, brake levers or tyres on tarmac.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    emadden wrote:
    I hope they dont scrap it... I love it as a start to any GT. I similarly hate massed-start opening stages. The Tour is quickly becoming a victim of its own success
    Remember the 2003 Giro start was changed from a Prolog to a road stage because Mario was world "ROAD" champion and they could show the Jersey on their hero for the day. :lol:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I personally would much rather have a short prologue to an entirely predictable and boring completely flat stage.
    I'm surprised that they get worse TV figures than a bog standard flat stage

Same here.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm surprised that they get worse TV figures than a bog standard flat stage, even if it finishes on a slope. Host towns surely like prologues - the spectacle goes on for hours regardless of where you are on the course.

For a casual viewer, which is most of the people watching the Tour de France, what is more interesting? A road stage, which has ever-changing scenery, the potential for crashes, and an exciting sprint finalé... or a prologue with riders going one by one through the same bit of town centre for three hours.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    It appears they get woeful viewing figures so ASO are thinking of not doing them

Which sort of sucks IMO, as I hate when grand tours start with a road stage

Individual TT is boring as hell. I'd be quite happy if they never featured ever again. Team TT however is total awesomesauce so they should keep that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

For a casual viewer, which is most of the people watching the Tour de France, what is more interesting? A road stage, which has ever-changing scenery, the potential for crashes, and an exciting sprint finalé... or a prologue with riders going one by one through the same bit of town centre for three hours.

But conversely, they don't get to see the stars. They'll see Cavendish and Sagan for about 20 seconds, but there will be little sign of Wiggins, Contador, Gilbert, Cancellara etc, etc. Mostly they'll see someone like Bert Grabsch.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

But conversely, they don't get to see the stars. They'll see Cavendish and Sagan for about 20 seconds, but there will be little sign of Wiggins, Contador, Gilbert, Cancellara etc, etc. Mostly they'll see someone like Bert Grabsch.

How's that different from a prologue? The first three hours are full of no-hopers the casual fan has never heard of, followed by a twenty minute period at the end where the contenders show their face. Part of the fun of a road stage is the nervous jostling, trying to spot where the GC contenders are positioned and waiting for a Schleck to crash. Much more fun.

Of course I'm only talking from a TV viewers' perspective. I understand how a prologue would be better for a host town or a fan by the road. You could have the best of both worlds if ASO had more stages where the start/finish was in the same town, or had a few laps at the end.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Part of the fun of a road stage is the nervous jostling, trying to spot where the GC contenders are positioned and waiting for a Schleck to crash.

You're being very generous though aren't you. What is much more likely is that there'll be four hours of absolutely nothing going on, with the break completely under control, then a completely predictable sprint at the end of it. The GC contenders will barely be seen all day as they are tucked away in the group.

At least with a prologue there is a build up because you know the GC contenders are going to have to battle each other right there on the first day. And a 20-30 second time gap after the prologue is often the catalyst for attacking as soon as the race gets to the first uphill stages. If you just start with a flat stage there'll be no time gaps and the GC guys will generally just mark each other for the first two weeks.

I mean I'm not against sprinters or sprint stages, I just would have thought that a prologue would be a better spectacle for TV viewers. And it certainly sets the race up better.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Double stage.

Prologue in morning, 8-11. Shortish flat stage starting at 2.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I like the split stages idea, used to be fairly common but apparently the the riders don't like them which I think is why they don't happen much these days.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    I like the split stages idea, used to be fairly common but apparently the the riders don't like them which I think is why they don't happen much these days.

Pfft.

Fair enough if it's a chipper, but it's the Tour FFS.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I don't see anything to gain from a split stage, anyone want to enlighten me?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Jez mon wrote:

They used to have them quite a lot with road stage in morning (short, like 100km) and TTT in PM. It was quite good because it would be worthwhile attacking in the morning because you could get the yellow, for example, but it might be hard to hold it in the afternoon if you'd been in a break
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

They used to have them quite a lot with road stage in morning (short, like 100km) and TTT in PM. It was quite good because it would be worthwhile attacking in the morning because you could get the yellow, for example, but it might be hard to hold it in the afternoon if you'd been in a break
    Yep, especially for the grand depart weekend. In the 1990s the standard package the Grand Depart city/region used to get was a Saturday prologue, Sunday morning short stage start/finish, Sunday afternoon TTT and Monday start.
  • The split stage idea seems good. You could have a short prologue in the morning, say 25/30K and use the same route pm for, say, three laps. You would have a Yellow Jersey in the afternoon and the tight route would make it feasible to remove the worst of the Road Furniture to help with safety. Plenty of excitement for spectators and viewers alike.
    'fool'
  • You could have a short prologue in the morning, say 25/30K...

Short? At that distance it's not classified as a prologue!
  • Paul 8v
    I thought they stopped the split stages because the riders said they were too hard and that's why they were taking drugs? That's what it said in my history of the tour de France book, can't remember when that was, some time in the 60's.Obviously this was just an excuse for the drug taking....
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    afx237vi wrote:
    How's that different from a prologue? The first three hours are full of no-hopers the casual fan has never heard of, followed by a twenty minute period at the end where the contenders show their face. Part of the fun of a road stage is the nervous jostling, trying to spot where the GC contenders are positioned and waiting for a Schleck to crash. Much more fun.

The casual fan does not watch three hours of a Tour stage :?
  • afx237vi
    r0bh wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

The casual fan does not watch three hours of a Tour stage :?

OK, the last hour, whatever.

Re split-stages: they're banned in grand tours. The Giro wanted a Ghisallo TT and a Milan crit in 2006, but it never happened: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/p ... tage-9849/
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The only thing they get from skipping the prologue is a half peloton by day 4 or 5.

Just start the thing off nice an easy with a prologue, shall we? Seems to work pretty well.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Let's have the prologue on the Friday night.

Then we'll have a proper road stage on the Saturday.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

That would be fun, but somebody would probably decide it's too dangerous to ride a bike in the dark and get it neutralised.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

That would be fun, but somebody would probably decide it's too dangerous to ride a bike in the dark and get it neutralised.

A neutralised prologue could be fun!

200 riders all doing coming off a start ramp and doing trackstands.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!