Cannot remove bottle cages

haggisinlondon
haggisinlondon Posts: 171
edited November 2012 in Workshop
My bike lives outside unfortunately under a cover. One of my bike cages snapped on me so bought some replacements. Went to remove the screws to get the old cage off and one of them has stripped its thread and just turns and won't come out the frame? I don't want to damage the frame by trying to force this thing out.

Any ideas?

Comments

• If you can get a pair of pliers, or preferably molegrips, on the head, try pulling and turning it at the same time and you'll probably be able to get it out.

I'm sure you'll get lots of people suggesting to drill it out, but if I was in your situation I'd just give it to a bike shop to deal with.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My bike lives outside unfortunately under a cover. One of my bike cages snapped on me so bought some replacements. Went to remove the screws to get the old cage off and one of them has stripped its thread and just turns and won't come out the frame? I don't want to damage the frame by trying to force this thing out.

Any ideas?
    what do you mean by stripped? if there is no thread it will pull out.

but i would say the rivnut is no longer locked to the frame due to the bolt being siezed in it.

have a look under the cage as your turn the bolt you will see the rivnut moving.

have fun with the drill.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • As above - must be the Rivnut that's come loose in the frame. I had this recently with a rack bolt Rivnut and Spesh Concept Store in Harrogate removed the old Rivnut and fitted a new one. I get the impression this is a job any lbs should be able to do easily as it happens fairly often on bikes. I understand the prevention is to remove and apply Copper Slip to the bolts every 6 months or so.
  • Thanks for the replies, local bike shop here I come.
  • fuzzbear
    fuzzbear Posts: 112
    Had this happen to me on an alloy frame. took it to my lbs who were unable to fix it.. never did get it fixed :(
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Try soaking the affected area in WD40 or something similar, then leave it overnight.

I had the same problem with a stripped bolt and the next morning it came out first time with pliers 8)