Anyone else applying for the job of DG of the BBC?

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,946
edited November 2012 in The bottom bracket
Sounds like a bloody good deal to me.

I could apply for 7 weeks unpaid sabbatical leave from my current job and 'work' as the Director General of the BBC. At the end of that period, I declare myself incompetent at the job for some balls up or other and resign. RESIGN please note, not be fired.

For this seven week stint I could get around £60,000 pounds salary + £450,000 (a years salary in lieu of notice).

It just beggars belief, and I'm wondering why the fark I'm getting out of bed on a Monday morning. If I could get a years salary when I resigned from a job I'd be leaving at the end of each week!

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• You also have to be in the masons - I want chris pattens job - getting paid shield an enquiry into your pedophiles friends under the guise of 'bringing trust back to the bbc'.

I dont see why entwhistle has to go - newsnight didnt name mcalpine - it mentioned a senior tory - and he's still out there avoiding all of this.

He's a scapegoat.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • It's the way the political elite run things these days. Screw up, walk off with a big wad. No personal responsibility, it's only private organisations that have responsibilities.
    Now just wait a few months & see where he pops up and on what salary!
    Oh, don't forget the £1.3 million pension pot he walks off with too.
    The naming of a "Senior Tory" comes from where? Answer a front organisation for Labour.
    http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=83327
    Big surprise, no left bias in the BBC.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    There is a lot of ignorance on the issue of CEO and senior management compensation and it annoys me when people bring it up and rant about it when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

The risks of taking the job are great because In effect you are responsible for the actions of 1000s of incompetent fools in the organization which you head... and you have little control over their rogue actions.

Hence you could be the best manager for the job but a scandal will come along and force you out regardless of your prior performance or if the failure was your fault.

Similar principles apply when you look at other performance areas - if the economy crashes then you'll be kicked out for a fresh new face even if the decline in performance is 100% due to uncontrollable and unavoidable external factors.

So due to this risk of 'unfair' redundancy, senior management get a nice big pay-off written into their contract which offsets it.
  • capt_slog
    It must be awful for them, let's organise a collection.

• alihisgreat
    Capt Slog wrote:
    It must be awful for them, let's organise a collection.

That's the point.. its not awful because they've got the compensation :lol:

I'm saying that it would be awful if they didn't get the compensation.

So no need to arrange a cake sale in your Village hall... just stop whining about things you don't have an adequate understanding of.
  • capt_slog

So no need to arrange a cake sale in your Village hall... just stop whining about things you don't have an adequate understanding of.

OK, and you can stop being so patronizing.

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Apparently the payment is partly due to the fact Mr Entwistle will be staying on to, "help on BBC business, most specifically two ongoing inquiries related to the Jimmy Savile abuse allegations". :roll: And also to do a stint as a guest presenter on The Real Hustle!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I'm saying that it would be awful if they didn't get the compensation.

Good point. With only the pittance he will have managed to save from the £261,000 he earned over the last 18 months alone, and with no possibility of any future emplyment, it's a near certainty he would have been out on the street by Christmas.
  • His contract gives him "Only" 6-month's money for leaving, it's the charitable Mr Patten who's decided that a full year's worth is what he deserves to assuage hus suffering.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,354
    Capt Slog wrote:

OK, and you can stop being so patronizing.

Is it me or is that a hint of another Probike kit thread ? :D Must be the time of year (again).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • There is a lot of ignorance on the issue of CEO and senior management compensation and it annoys me when people bring it up and rant about it when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

The risks of taking the job are great because In effect you are responsible for the actions of 1000s of incompetent fools in the organization which you head... and you have little control over their rogue actions.

Hence you could be the best manager for the job but a scandal will come along and force you out regardless of your prior performance or if the failure was your fault.

Similar principles apply when you look at other performance areas - if the economy crashes then you'll be kicked out for a fresh new face even if the decline in performance is 100% due to uncontrollable and unavoidable external factors.

So due to this risk of 'unfair' redundancy, senior management get a nice big pay-off written into their contract which offsets it.

Phew, glad you were around to put us straight.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Patronising git aside...

Who's money are they giving away, where did they get it from, who gave them permission?

Stick-poke-stick-stir...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    There is a lot of ignorance on the issue of CEO and senior management compensation and it annoys me when people bring it up and rant about it when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

But that's justification for higher pay because the job is difficult and insecure. Not justification for being paid a massive wedge when they're shown up to be incapable of doing their job (this includes being head of a bank that goes bust ... for whatever reason).
    exercise.png
  • alihisgreat
    TheStone wrote:

But that's justification for higher pay because the job is difficult and insecure. Not justification for being paid a massive wedge when they're shown up to be incapable of doing their job (this includes being head of a bank that goes bust ... for whatever reason).

Its the price you pay.. the unwanted consequence is that you end up paying-off the incompetant idiot when things go wrong..

the upside is you are able to attract better managers in general.

I
  • TheStone wrote:

Its the price you pay.. the unwanted consequence is that you end up paying-off the incompetant idiot when things go wrong..

I

As you seem to know what you are talking about can you explain how being replaced in a job by someone else is redundancy? Man with job of DG replaced by another man to be DG where is the redundancy? just askin'
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    TheStone wrote:

I

As you seem to know what you are talking about can you explain how being replaced in a job by someone else is redundancy? Man with job of DG replaced by another man to be DG where is the redundancy? just askin'

2 types of redundancy - people and job/role - in this case the person was made redundant due to underperformance and not the role
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Anyway. I'm not applying. It gets to be a dispiriting being turned down for job after job. And I should know; I've been turned down for the manager's job at Everton, Spurs, Leicester (three times!!!), Arsenal, Villa, and Man U even though Fergie was still at the helm and showed no signs of moving on. Maybe my carefully detailed plan to flog any decent players and get them into the Conference inside 5 seasons wasn't the way forward that they had in mind.

Apply for top jobs? Waste of time. Someone who's not up to it can have a free run as far as I'm concerned.
  • capt_slog
    mhj999 wrote:

2 types of redundancy - people and job/role - in this case the person was made redundant due to underperformance and not the role

Don't we normally call that "getting fired" or something similar?

Like YellowPeril, I've always understood that redundancy is when your job no longer exists; this has been the case the two times that it's happened to me.

• Capt Slog wrote:
    mhj999 wrote:

Don't we normally call that "getting fired" or something similar?

Like YellowPeril, I've always understood that redundancy is when your job no longer exists; this has been the case the two times that it's happened to me.

Depends on your pay bracket then according to some here.
  • mhj999 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

I

Really?

Perhaps redundancy has been re-defined so that football managers don't feel so bad when they are sacked.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Bit like when a player has been 'rested'. No, you've been dropped.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    TheStone wrote:

I
    Where has a correlation between high compensation and increased performance at CEO level been shown? It certainly did not occur at the banks; it has simply been a falsehood bandied around by top management to excuse their rapacious extraction of wealth from corporations. It has then been picked up by those like yourself who have a probably don't work in top management and are maybe even not in work, still at University but plan to chase inordinate wealth themselves. ;)