QR Seatpost

Murphybarnes
Murphybarnes Posts: 68
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Just taken delivery of new Voodoo Hoodoo. All good. Would like to upgrade to a QR seat post. Is it a straight swap with Allen key bolt/clasp to a new QR with handle and clasp?
Voodoo Hoodoo

Comments

• Should elaborate. I'm from the days when even a QR was a simple bolt through that compressed the frame. Haven't had time to check out the new style. Just being lazy and wondering if it's a straight swap and any recommendations on products?
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if you buy the correct size seat clamp sure. the seat post has nothing to do with it.

but it may be backwards step.

why do you need a Qr Clamp? they tend to not clamp as well and it is easier for someone to go off with your saddle and post.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Changing is easy, loosen bolt, slide out seatpost/saddle, remove clamp, fit new one of same size, refit saddle/seatpost and do up.

As Nick says, WHY do you want to change, unless you anticipate frequant changes of saddle height its a waste of time/money and adds weight!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    WHY do you want to change, unless you anticipate frequant changes of saddle height its a waste of time/money and adds weight!
    Think you answered your own question...
  • bennett_346
    And it doesn't add weight.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well, it does, about 20g ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Err.... That is a really dumb thing to say....a typical bolted 31.8mm clamp is about 20g, a typical QR about 45g, obvious really, replace small bolt head with lever hinge, bushes and big metal lever.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Err.... That is a really dumb thing to say....a typical bolted 31.8mm clamp is about 20g, a typical QR about 45g, obvious really, replace small bolt head with lever hinge, bushes and big metal lever.
    damn, he better have one less spoonful of cornflakes in the morning to balance it out then :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bennett_346
    Get a grip.
  • The Rookie
    People pay a lot of money to save that much weight on some components......carelessy add that much weight to every component and you sure would notice it!

Kellogs say an average serving is 30g so that's not a spoonful but nearly a whole serving!

I have a grip, it may not be much weight, but it does clearly add weight!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    People pay a lot of money to save that much weight on some components......carelessy add that much weight to every component and you sure would notice it!

Kellogs say an average serving is 30g so that's not a spoonful but nearly a whole serving!

Call me when you've weighed the milk as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Kelloggs detail that on the side of the pack as well in their overall nutrition info, but I'm not sad enough to remember it all!
  • chez_m356

is this your shirt ? :D
      WeightWeenies_jersey_Buggy02.jpg
    • The Rookie
      I don't wear a shirt, weighs too much........his cycling shorts look like mine though....
    • chez_m356
      I don't wear a shirt, weighs too much........his cycling shorts look like mine though....
      :lol::lol:
    • bartimaeus
      bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
      ... and he cannot be a proper weight-weenie... shaving his body hair would save more than 30g
      Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
      Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
      Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
    • The Rookie
      And he'd have his SPDs screwed into surgical implants in his sole.