SCOTT CR1 TEAM 2012 for £1000

JPHJPH
JPHJPH Posts: 17
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hello peeps,

Im looking to buy my 1st road bike & im all booked up to do London to Paris in May!

I was planning to buy NEW with budget of £1000, the question is ive been offered a full carbon SCOTT CR1 TEAM 2012 upgarded with Ultegra comonents for £1000,,,, i have seen it & it looks tha part with money spent on the wheels as well, but im no expert!!!

Question is should i bite his hand off ??,,, or go for piece of mind with a new (probably Aluminium) bike from my LBS ??

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yes.*

*provided it's the correct size.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • JPHJPH
    well i've sat on it but have not taken it for a spin,,, i probably will buy it, if i realise its not my size then i just sell it.

As long as the carbon frame isn't damaged in anyway it seems the only way i will get that amount of kit for a grand.

Rgds
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    oh yes, great bikes, fast and comfy (good combination!)...but it needs to fit you otherwise it could be a bad purchase. If its your size, go for it :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • JPHJPH
    Also been offered a SPEZIALISED TARMAC ELITE 2012 (full carbon with 105 groupset) for £900,, is the Scott better??
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Better groupset on the Scott as well as being a comfortable bike with a more upright position. They're both good bikes, just depends what you're looking for.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If both bikes are the same size and fit you properly I'd still go for the Scott.

I'd need to be fairly sure about the fit before parting with a grand for a second hand bike. You have any bike knowledgable friends you can ask to help?
  • scott as long as it fits. im 5,10 and ride a 56 my mate is 2 inches taller and rides a 54 both had bike fits with adrian timmis and they fit us fine (i think my mines fits better) Great bikes and that a lot for your money. Much better to buy a secondhand bike thats been looked after than a lot lower spec new one I think.
  • JPHJPH
    I went for it & bought the 2nd hand Scott CR1 Team 2012.. Feels light as a feather, like the look & seems a good fit. Problem is he had to swap it back over ftom a carbon flatbar to the original drop one's & now down shiter keeps sticking,,, so abit uneasy ive just spend alot of money on a bike thats not functioning as it should be hoping a unexpensive trip to my LBS will sort that out... i hope!
  • good choice looks great. Probably find swapping the bars he has not got the cable running smoothly a cheap fix at the shop I would think.
    enjoy!