Cannondale Supersix 3 2013 vs Focus Izalco pro 3.0 2013

unsto
unsto Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm about to buy my first road bike and I'm between these 2 bikes. The Cannondale is a little cheaper, the Izalco has a 5-6 months wait time and the Supersix just one.

What worries me a little is the Supersix's comfort (I come from an ALU trekking) and I like the looks of Focus a little more. Is the Supersix so much better in transferring the power to the road and handling?

Unfortunately I can't test either of them.

Comments

• AFF40N
    AFF40N Posts: 33
    If I want a new bike, I want it NOW!
    I wouldn't want to wait 5-6 months.
    I've got a Supersix 2012 and it's a great bike. The Focus would have to be so much better to justify the long wait.
  • I collected my Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 2013 two weeks back. It's a fantastic bike and great value being around £600 cheaper than the Cannondale (which I had considered). It seems to glide along with minimal effort, feeling light and responsive. Like the Cannondale it uses BB30 which means that minimal power is lost. The only criticism is the slightly heavy CEX 6.5 wheelset which is based on the Fulcrum Racing 7. I changed these for some Dura Ace C35s and it flies! The Focus hasn't won race bike of the year for nothing! :)
  • Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 £2,099
    Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra £2,699
  • unsto
    unsto Posts: 6
    I can buy the Cannondale at the same price as the Focus, that's why I'm between those two.
  • Focus seems like the one for me. Are the standard wheels that bad?
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Got the Dale Ultegra bike (got it back in June) and it is fantastic. Also bought it for £2k. It is a great price and well recommended. Very stiff, very light and lifetime warranty to boot.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You can get a £2,700 bike for £2000 and your asking which one to get - really?

Dale has to be the one, endless praise and rave reviews and a lifetime warranty on the frame if you are the original owner - no brainer surely.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • fuzzbear
    fuzzbear Posts: 112
    Don't know much about the Focus but, I can tell you the Supersix is a great riding frame.. have had mine since 2008 & have just bought an Evo to replace it.
  • I had the same dilemma last year and in the end I opted for the SuperSix but only because they are stocked in most people's LBS and can also be delivered by mail order and therefore you can normally get a better price.
    I would have ended up driving a 300 mile journey to collect a Focus!

I am glad I picked the Cannondale and so far have been chuffed with it and cannot fault it.
  • The standard wheels a fine but I upgraded them to something a bit lighter because I will be using the bike to race.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Where you getting the bike from and so cheap....
  • The standard wheels a fine but I upgraded them to something a bit lighter because I will be using the bike to race.
    Do you rate the SRAM Force?
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Sram Force shifts are very crisp, but I do miss-shift occasionally (shift up instead of down by mistake) because of the Double Tap system. I think Shimano Ultegra front shifting is probably better, but overall the SRAM groupset is lighter and performs just as well in general.
  • I think the Focus looks better than the Cannondale, also it won bike of the year!
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Anyone else got this years version? Is it worth the extra to get the Di2 version?
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    edited March 2013
    Doesnt the Focus come with the same frame that is used on their top models? For the price surely its better to get the Focus even with a wait if you are getting such good VFM?

I also have these 2 on a shortlist but I want Di2 on whatever bike I get.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • The Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 has Di2 and is £2699 I think. Dont know if its worth the extra over the SRAM Force equipped Pro 3.0???????
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    I have got the 2012 Focus Izalco Team 2.0 which, I believe, is the same frame as Pro with a slightly shorter head tube and an upgraded fork. This model has Dura Ace Di2 and Ksyrium SL wheels. It is a fantastic bike all round. Very responsive but comfortable over long distances. I wasn't really looking for Di2 but when I saw the deal on the Dura Ace Di2 I couldn't resist. Personally I love it although to demonstrate the downside of all the technology my front mech stopped working and instead of a mechanic being able to fix a few bits and pieces it has had to go back to the Shimano distributor, get analysed, fixed etc, meaning I am without my bike for three weeks. I understand this is very much the exception rather than the rule and I certainly don't regret going electronic, but be warned.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    ClaudeH wrote:
    I have got the 2012 Focus Izalco Team 2.0 which, I believe, is the same frame as Pro with a slightly shorter head tube and an upgraded fork. This model has Dura Ace Di2 and Ksyrium SL wheels. It is a fantastic bike all round. Very responsive but comfortable over long distances. I wasn't really looking for Di2 but when I saw the deal on the Dura Ace Di2 I couldn't resist. Personally I love it although to demonstrate the downside of all the technology my front mech stopped working and instead of a mechanic being able to fix a few bits and pieces it has had to go back to the Shimano distributor, get analysed, fixed etc, meaning I am without my bike for three weeks. I understand this is very much the exception rather than the rule and I certainly don't regret going electronic, but be warned.

How much did it cost you may I ask? That bike is pretty much the exact set up I want for my next/dream bike.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ClaudeH
    goonz wrote:
    How much did it cost you may I ask? That bike is pretty much the exact set up I want for my next/dream bike.

PM sent.
  • Thought this might interest someone http://www.swiftcycles.co.uk/projects/focus-izalco-team-3 - Looks like a good deal, very tempted to cancel my Canyon and go for this!
  • ClaudeH
    That's exactly what I did . I had a Canyon on order but I decided to go for the Focus (see above) from Swift.
  • Anyone be able to tell me what size to go for in the Izalco? I am 6ft 2 with 34 inside leg.
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Swift Cycles is not that far from my office. Never heard of em. Gonna visit at lunch one day. Nice one.
  • ClaudeH
    Swift Cycles is not that far from my office. Never heard of em. Gonna visit at lunch one day. Nice one.

They are a very friendly and knowledgeable bunch, especially compared to all the Evans and Cycle Surgeries nearby.
  • Just ordered the Izalco Pro 2.0. Looking forward to sampling the Di2!!!!
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0