Do I need a new helmet?

mtolhurst
mtolhurst Posts: 42
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Came of the bike at the weekend in grand style and smashed my head into the floor, finding bits broken all the over the place. Just picked up my helmet and it has a crack in the foam stuff from the top all the way down the back. Catlike whisper plus. I am guessing I am going to have to buy a new one, just thought I would check what people thought.

Don't really want to spend another £130 on a helmet, but if it isn't safe I'd rather buy a new one. Cause there is no way I would have walked away from that fall without the helmet.

Cheers
Matt

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yep, get another. The idea is that it is the cracking of the helmet that absorbs the shock. If it's already cracked it won't absorb it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yep, get another. The idea is that it is the cracking of the helmet that absorbs the shock. If it's already cracked it won't absorb it.

+1, definitely replace. It can't do the job it's designed for if its cracked.
  • Thanks for the advice, off to find a new helmet now then.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Yep Matt, not worth taking risk with helmets. Once their integrity is shot, time for a replacement with thanks that the old one saved you from a nasty injury.

Peter
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Some helmet manufacturers offer a damaged replacement discount - so it would be worth checking with Catlike if they do something like this.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Replace it.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think I read that Catlike have a crash replacement policy for helmets purchased since Feb 2012? Might be worth checking.

(although many of these policies only offer a discount off rrp, and you can generally find them cheaper online anyway)
  • Hello,

I've seen your opinion about the Catlike Whisper and then, I decided to buy it. Thanks... It's a great helmet. If that can help you I have found it for only € 155.60 = £ 125.61 in deporvillage.fr.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Always replace a helmet after a crash even if it doesn,t look damaged,if it hit the floor it,s not worth risking.Its the same with motorcycle helmets.You dont want your head caved in to prove your helmet had a fault after all.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    New Helmet time...

BTW, all helmets have to comply with the same safety regs, so a £20 one will be just as safe as a £200 one. Just probably won't look as good.
  • Stueys wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    <BR sab="988"><BR sab="989">+1, definitely replace. It can't do the job it's designed for if its cracked.

-1 If the helmet cracked it just failed and absorbed feck all energy.