A grand on ebay?

cheeky_chops
cheeky_chops Posts: 48
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
You want a road bike to replace the raleigh 531 with 105 and fulcrum 7's you have been using for a couple of years....

Got to be carbon frame as you dont change bikes often. Chinese frames no problem. Obviously used componenents arent a issue either. Use is for general tri training, sportives, occasional weekend in the hills. You have a MTB and a TT too. Some bling aero wheels (shimano) would also be nice as you use the fulcrums on the tri bike. Your also might also enter a couple of races next season.....

So how do you split the £1000 over frame, wheels, groupset, finishing kit? Or are you asking too much esp with the wheels?

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Cheers.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dont get it
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dont get it

Either the replies have been deleted, or, the OP is being sarcy because a reply wasn't posted in the huge 1 hour and 12 minutes between posts!

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

Firstly, any reason why frame has to be carbon? If you want an all year all purpose frame then consider Ti (if yo get lucky and find one at a good price) or even alu, a lot of people are going back to metals as modern methods mean an alu frame can be so close to a cheaper carbon frame if not better in terms of both comfort and performance.

Secondly, wheels, why aero for a road bike and keep the Fulcrums on the TT bike? Stick the fulcrum on your road bike and get something deeper for your TT bike.

For a grand though you're probably going to be looking for a complete bike second hand as a good frame alone can swallow your budget, as could just one one deep wheel. Scour eBay for what there is in your size to get an idea of what's out there. Consider buying a bike complete without wheels, often people want to keep their best wheels and if it leaves you with a bit of money you may find a set of planetx 50mm for 300-350 to finish the job.
  • gavbarron wrote:
    Firstly, any reason why frame has to be carbon? If you want an all year all purpose frame then consider Ti (if yo get lucky and find one at a good price) or even alu, a lot of people are going back to metals as modern methods mean an alu frame can be so close to a cheaper carbon frame if not better in terms of both comfort and performance.

Interesting. What ali frames do you suggest? I have been reading the chinese frame threads on road forum and if you can get over the delay, the dubious finishing/missing spacers etc and lack of returns you get some great value! I think a 2nd hand branded frame on ebay is going to set me back £400+ So that leaves £300 for wheels and £300 for groupset/finishing - not enough IMO......
  • Cannondale CAAD10 is a cracking frame and arguably as good as a carbon frame in the same or a little higher price range. You may struggle to find one complete for your budget but I've seen it as low as 1100 online so you may get a complete bike with 105 groupset and aksiums so a good setup. The Boardman team also gets a good review. I myself had a BMC with alu frame and thought it was one of the best frames I ever owned, very stiff although maybe a little harsh for some but then it was designed for racing not touring.
    If you are looking on the bay for a bike you may be better looking for a complete bike, even if you did find a frame for 400 and got lucky with a decent groupset and wheels for the remaining 600 you'd still have to leave a little for tyres, tubes, cables, bars, saddle, etc. At least with a complete bike you have it all and any bits you don't quite like you can sell to go towards your prefered option.