Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    They're not mutually inclusive skills either.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    pblakeney said:

Well that is my bugbear. Firms will evaluate juniors and hold them back if they cannot use the systems properly, but give management a free pass (when they use the same systems!)

It is not efficient for bosses to email juniors asking for information that is already stored on the database, for example. It takes less time to look it up then it does send the email.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

pblakeney said:

Well that is my bugbear. Firms will evaluate juniors and hold them back if they cannot use the systems properly, but give management a free pass (when they use the same systems!)

It is not efficient for bosses to email juniors asking for information that is already stored on the database, for example. It takes less time to look it up then it does send the email.
    It is efficient, because their time is 15 times more costly.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, this is absolutely an annoyance of mine. Leadership getting free pass to not lead by example, and getting away with bad practice because they are leadership.

Your argument there FA is tautological.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

If you're being paid 8-15x your juniors, it's incumbent on you to learn the basics of how to operate the company systems.

Why if you can ask someone else to do something?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2021

If you're being paid 8-15x your juniors, it's incumbent on you to learn the basics of how to operate the company systems.

Often it takes longer to ask then to DIY. If their time is so valuable, they should look to maximise it, rather than use their status to burden other.

No-one minds doing stuff they don't have time to do. But when they do stuff that takes longer than doing it themselves it's just laziness.

It's the same with bosses who care about presenteeism but then don't practice it themselves.

Either give a sh!t that everyone turns up at 8am and turn up yourself or don't, but don't turn up at 10 and bollock the junior for being there at 8:15.
  • First.Aspect

Yeah, this is absolutely an annoyance of mine. Leadership getting free pass to not lead by example, and getting away with bad practice because they are leadership.

Your argument there FA is tautological.

Look sure if it takes longer than the action itself I get it. But that aside it is only tautological (not the right word but let's run with it) if leading is somehow only doing the same job as a junior, but for 15 times the salary.

I mean we all think your job is money for old rope already RC, and you seem to agree.
  • TheBigBean

Often it takes longer to ask then to DIY. If their time is so valuable, they should look to maximise it, rather than use their status to burden other.

No-one minds doing stuff they don't have time to do. But when they do stuff that takes longer than doing it themselves it's just laziness.

It's the same with bosses who care about presenteeism but then don't practice it themselves.

Either give a sh!t that everyone turns up at 8am and turn up yourself or don't, but don't turn up at 10 and censored the junior for being there at 8:15.
    Learning to do the stuff quickly takes time that is better spent on other things.

For example, I know I could make changes in Power Point, but why bother when there are many others much better than me and I rarely need to use it?
  • I had a boss once who used to do a fairly extensive weekly report for the major project works we had on, all produced in Word 3.1 or whatever was current in about 1992. He went on leave and delegated the task of updating the report to me, gave me the file to use.

First time I opened it, looked fine, all neatly indented and paragraph spaced etc. Started typing in one of the early sub-sections and the whole document formatting went b@tsh!t.

Switched on the old "Reveal code" indicator... and it appeared he'd never actually learned to use either indent or tab functions, and struggled with simple carriage returns, let alone section or page breaks. All the formatting was in fact done with repeated space-bar keystrokes to line everything up.

Took me hours to fix it.

Took him quite a few days to learn what I'd done when he returned from leave.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

I've never really used Excel for anything but the most basic of spreadsheets. I'm sure it has loads of functions that, if I understood it, could you be used on a daily basis to help me manage projects. Office is just one of those products I think most of us fall into using by default and in most cases just know the very basics needed for day to day work without ever being given more detailed training in how to get the best out of the product.

I gave up on MS Excel & Word ages ago - first went to Libre Office in the hope of something less clunky, but now have gone pretty much completely over to Google Docs and Sheets. I get annoyed when people send round docx or xlsx files which need to be live, but you end up with dozens of different versions on different people's systems.

tl;dr - MS Office started as a user-housed system that they've tried to adapt to cloud systems; Google started out as cloud and has evolved with it, and is 100 times easier because of it.
    I think this is a bit like me asking why you don't use an electronic trumpet, so people can collaborate on the performance.
  • rick_chasey

Either give a sh!t that everyone turns up at 8am and turn up yourself or don't, but don't turn up at 10 and censored the junior for being there at 8:15.
    Learning to do the stuff quickly takes time that is better spent on other things.

For example, I know I could make changes in Power Point, but why bother when there are many others much better than me and I rarely need to use it?
    Leading by example is a good way to lead. The “do as I say not as I do” is not a well known motivator.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    I get a feeling Rick is fed up of his superiors asking him to do menial tasks. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm also feeling billy big balls as my new practice is going gangbusters not even a month in - I suspect this will calm down and then my head will be able to fit through doors again.
  • TheBigBean

Leading by example is a good way to lead. The “do as I say not as I do” is not a well known motivator.
    There's also a reason to have employees. If need to lead by doing everything yourself then it is pointless having employees.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551

The biggest problem I've found as I've moved into more senior roles is knowing when to delegate the jobs I used to have to do myself. I regularly found myself thinking 'by time I've explained this to someone I could have just done it myself' which is true but once explained I could have left all future similar tasks go and concentrated on the things I couldn't delegate. It's not good for project budgets in the long run when someone earning 2x is doing a job that could be done by someone earning x.

I've got better although the downside, as I mentioned earlier, is I'm losing some skills as I don't do them often enough which being in a small company makes me less able to get stuck in and help out when we have an urgent job.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347

rjsterry said:

Just control access to the meeting so that all attendees have to ask to be admitted. Obviously only works if you are the meeting organiser.

Then you just get an annoying message across the screen saying "rjsterry is in the lobby".

Then you get that awkward couple of seconds where the new entrant figures out that no one else has their camera on, and that we can all now see rjsterry's pants on the clothes rack behind him.
    Are you known as a bit of a curmudgeon in your firm?
    Depends on my mood.

How about you?
    *checks Q3 appraisal*

"hard working and enthusiastic"

"should remember you are a big personality and your mood affects others around you. Reminder to use that to set a good example to those more junior, and not to let it affect them negatively”
    Brilliant
    :smiley:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

The biggest problem I've found as I've moved into more senior roles is knowing when to delegate the jobs I used to have to do myself. I regularly found myself thinking 'by time I've explained this to someone I could have just done it myself' which is true but once explained I could have left all future similar tasks go and concentrated on the things I couldn't delegate. It's not good for project budgets in the long run when someone earning 2x is doing a job that could be done by someone earning x.

I've got better although the downside, as I mentioned earlier, is I'm losing some skills as I don't do them often enough which being in a small company makes me less able to get stuck in and help out when we have an urgent job.
    I do wonder if there is a bit of a status thing going on though. In my job, we have attorneys and then various much less well paid support roles. We instruct them in the management of our cases.

Even now, but almost across the board when I started 15 years ago, soattorneys like to dictate letters, have them typed, read and request amendments and then have them sent.

Immediately struck me as pretty obviously a waste of lots of time, including my own, assuming you would type more than about 50 words a minute. I always felt that the process was mostly just a power trip, in a "Thank you Peggy" sort of a way.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,910
    Getting an HMRC email saying that I had a new message available on the portal, which I'd have to log on to see. Logged on, message saying I had a new tax statement which would be available in four working days. Sure enough, it's not yet available.

Why not just wait till it's available? It's almost like they haven't worked out how this internet thing works.
  • Pross

Getting an HMRC email saying that I had a new message available on the portal, which I'd have to log on to see. Logged on, message saying I had a new tax statement which would be available in four working days. Sure enough, it's not yet available.

Why not just wait till it's available? It's almost like they haven't worked out how this internet thing works.

I'm in the stage of emails at least daily from them telling me my tax return is due (which isn't correct) and 'do you need any help competing your tax return as we notice you haven't done it yet'. I'll do it, as I always do, when I have a few days off work before Christmas and will cough up and the end of January.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,910
    Pross said:

I'm in the stage of emails at least daily from them telling me my tax return is due (which isn't correct) and 'do you need any help competing your tax return as we notice you haven't done it yet'. I'll do it, as I always do, when I have a few days off work before Christmas and will cough up and the end of January.

It took them a while to catch up with the fact that I'd filed my return at the start of May (I've no idea what came over me), but at least I'm not getting those reminders now.
  • First.Aspect
    (i) Websites that take you from the change cookies setting page to another page that you weren't previously on.
    (ii) Websites that leave you on the change cookies setting page after you've change cookies settings.

If you want me to actually buy something, try harder not to annoy me.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    This forum's 'moderator' bot. Just posted a link in the Intrigue thread to a horrendous looking, Christmas toons playing, lights equipped 8 ft tall toy soldier monstrosity on sale in Costco for a reduced price bargain of only £750. Who tf would be so stupid...?

Awaiting approval. I assume as linking to a commercial sales site? Yet spambots seem able to post random stuff on here no probs. Whatevs.
  • Pross
    orraloon said:

This forum's 'moderator' bot. Just posted a link in the Intrigue thread to a horrendous looking, Christmas toons playing, lights equipped 8 ft tall toy soldier monstrosity on sale in Costco for a reduced price bargain of only £750. Who tf would be so stupid...?

Awaiting approval. I assume as linking to a commercial sales site? Yet spambots seem able to post random stuff on here no probs. Whatevs.

The people across the road from me. For the whole of October we are subjected to their tacky Halloween decorations that include something that makes random spooky noises in the middle of the night. Then we get a respite of a week or two before the even more tacky inflatable Christmas decorations go up. Luckily they are the other side of the house but we still get the million epilepsy inducing flashing lights that are constantly in the corner of my eyeline whilst watching TV.

They also own a car that is a full size replica of Rory The Racing Car. I assume it is all intended for their kids who are severely autistic but I'm not convinced they get the benefit of it inside the house.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    HMRC holding two unique references for me, fining me for not doing the self assessment on one of them, being told about it, and solving it by... you guessed right, creating a third unique taxpayer reference.

Wanna bet I'll be fined twice next year?
  • Pross
    I ended up with two URNs for a while. Was an absolute PITA.
  • rick_chasey
    BBC news sports section starts off with the F1 results from today. Second up and because it’s football they give a spoiler warning.

Wtf
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    pblakeney said:

I get a feeling Rick is fed up of his superiors asking him to do menial tasks. 😉

Easy solution, become the superior and dish out the requests. All it needs is a bit of success.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Ordering something online, making you you tick the box that says 'don't send me any marketing cr@p' (or, increasingly, not ticking the box that says 'please send me your marketing cr@p' as they try to catch you out) only to receive numerous marketing emails before the product you ordered even arrives. Seriously, what is the point in them asking the question if they are just going to ignore it anyway?

Zips that are designed so that they snag on material everytime you use them. I've got new walking trousers where the zips on the pocket snag on either the liner or the outer material everytime I use the pocket.
  • pinno

BBC news sports section starts off with the F1 results from today. Second up and because it’s football they give a spoiler warning.

Wtf

You know the sports news is imminent and who gives a farq about F1?
  • pinno

(i) Websites that take you from the change cookies setting page to another page that you weren't previously on.
    (ii) Websites that leave you on the change cookies setting page after you've change cookies settings.

If you want me to actually buy something, try harder not to annoy me.

Do you clear your browser memory often and have you got a VPN function on your browser or anti-virus software?
    Also, I have a block a.d.s feature and cookie settings on Opera as well as .a.d. b.l0cker plus.

<------------------No annoying ads here----------------.>

The lack of ads never stopped me being a consumer.