Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

Fairly sure the money for the artwork comes out of a different pot of money.

There will be a London wide pot of money for public art, a mixture of donations and local budget.

What difference does it make what pot of money it comes from?
    In reference to the comment that TFL shouldn't be spending their money on fripperies like public art.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638

There will be a London wide pot of money for public art, a mixture of donations and local budget.

In reference to the comment that TFL shouldn't be spending their money on fripperies like public art.
    Right but it is still public money. What difference does it make?
  • rick_chasey

Quite a bit in the context of the comment.
  • First.Aspect

Quite a bit in the context of the comment.
    No.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    pblakeney said:

I just sit there, shovelling my breakfast into my mouth, scrolling through bikeradar and swallowing whatever unfounded nonsense someone has posted whole, with full knowledge that it will likely be nonsense. 😉

"The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance."

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,790
    Still removing revenue.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687

Can someone explain to me what's good about it? As in, if this was an unknown aspiring artist's work, why would it be noteworthy?

As opposed, say, to the alphabet strung around my teacher's blackboard on primary school.

Is the clever part making it look censored ?

No. I'm normally the first one to get annoyed with the "my child could do that" brigade, but I'm at a loss with this one. Maybe he did just have an off day.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Still removing revenue.

to whome? the ad money comes out of the public art pot, as per my post above.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Can someone explain to me what's good about it? As in, if this was an unknown aspiring artist's work, why would it be noteworthy?

As opposed, say, to the alphabet strung around my teacher's blackboard on primary school.

No. I'm normally the first one to get annoyed with the "my child could do that" brigade, but I'm at a loss with this one. Maybe he did just have an off day.
    Oh, not just me then.

Other than art that consists of throwing paint around an unusually large canvass with vigour, I'm normally willing to try to see what's actually there.

But KG's is better. See for example how the line of the circle does not quite join at the top, but overlaps at the bottom.

This evokes the earth not being quite on its axis during this pandemic.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Still removing revenue.

Eh? Companies pay to advertise. Money goes into the public pot.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Still removing revenue.

No it goes into the TFL pot.

So the public art pot pays the equivalent of the advert.

So say TFL charge £1,000 per day and they have it for 100 days, and the public art pot coughs up £100,000 to TFL to have the ad space for 100 days.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261

rjsterry said:

Oh, not just me then.

Other than art that consists of throwing paint around an unusually large canvass with vigour, I'm normally willing to try to see what's actually there.

But KG's is better. See for example how the line of the circle does not quite join at the top, but overlaps at the bottom.

Glad you spotted that - it actually does join, but there is a small part of the circle in a slightly different colour. Make of that what you will. Art is very much a personal experience.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Still removing revenue.

So say TFL charge £1,000 per day and they have it for 100 days, and the public art pot coughs up £100,000 to TFL to have the ad space for 100 days.
    Just realised that the nub of the issue is merely the existence of a public art pot. In a time of cutbacks and austerity I can think of better use. Other opinions are available.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Still removing revenue.

Just realised that the nub of the issue is merely the existence of a public art pot. In a time of cutbacks and austerity I can think of better use. Other opinions are available.
    Yikes. I know how you'd play Civ....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Still removing revenue.

It is no longer a time of cutbacks.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    I don't mind money being spent on art. Giving the money to an established relic of the art world who has pulled an emperor's new clothes type con irks me a little. Make it a competition for upcoming artists with a prize fund for the works voted as being the best.
  • kingstongraham
    They can sell it once they're finished with it.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

Oh, not just me then.

Glad you spotted that - it actually does join, but there is a small part of the circle in a slightly different colour. Make of that what you will. Art is very much a personal experience.
    Ah. Off colour. Very good.
  • pblakeney

I don't mind money being spent on art. Giving the money to an established relic of the art world who has pulled an emperor's new clothes type con irks me a little. Make it a competition for upcoming artists with a prize fund for the works voted as being the best.

I'd agree with this use.
    As for cutbacks, they are coming for everything not job/wealth creating.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    When you notice how much time some TV programmes spend recapping what you have just watched in the last 10 minutes it's really really annoying.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    In his last post Tailwindhome commented on how annoying it was when TV programmes recapped what had happened just moments before. Let's see what everyone else thinks.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920

When you notice how much time some TV programmes spend recapping what you have just watched in the last 10 minutes it's really really annoying.

One reason I gave up watching TV.

Formula for 30-minute programme:

Take three 5-minute items. Chop them into little bits.

1) Start programme with little 'tasters' of what's to come
    2) Do a couple of minutes of each of the items, with chirpy links by presenters
    3) Do a summary of what we've had so far, with some more snippets of what's to come in the second half of the programme
    4) Do the concluding halves of each of the three items
    5) Summarise what we've just seen
    6) Tell us what's coming up in next week's programme
  • First.Aspect

3) Do a summary of what we've had so far, with some more snippets of what's to come in the second half of the programme
    That sounds like US cable TV. Other options are available. YouTube for example, has kittens. Endless kittens.
  • briantrumpet

<
    That sounds like US cable TV. Other options are available. YouTube for example, has kittens. Endless kittens.

I manage to resist the lure of kittens by reminding myself that they turn into the wildlife killing-and-maiming machines called cats... the things that sh*t and p*ss in other people's gardens.

But I digress...
  • pblakeney

You missed out the ad breaks which means a 30 minute program can only be 20 minutes of the above.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582

You've been watching Homes Under The Hammer haven't you?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582

Plus, as Brian mentions, telling you what you're going to see in the next 10 minutes.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Can't let a mention go by without posting this.

• rick_chasey

Do it over 5 episodes and you get another episode free, complete with a 10 minute recap of the series.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Actually, no... but it shows how clichéd and lazy formula TV has become.

Genuinely can't remember the last TV programme I watched. I have enjoyed TV 'essays' in the past on social housing, the history of rubbish, and shipping containers, and also Jonathan Meades short series on architecture (simultaneously sending up TV clichés).