Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So this morning's tailwind was great, and (yes, wind-assisted I know) I was definitely on for a few strava segment PRs, even close to KOM on one as far as I could tell.

But the censored phone I'm temporarily using loses GPS on 2 out of every 3 rides, so no record of this at all :/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Buy cheap, buy twice. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    pblakeney said:

Buy cheap, buy twice. 😉

It will be Bompetta's first phone soon, so only needs to handle calls/texts/family whatsapp.

Using it after my venerable (6yo) Note met a wet and salty end, and then I'll get a proper phone when my current contract runs out in November.

So I guess you're right, I'll be buying twice.
  • The "swear" filter on this forum seems to have been developed by devout Christian Americans. It is more puritanical than any media outlet and completely out of touch.

It really pessis me off that I can't even use the term f-a-g packet for example.

It is basically contrary to freedom of speech.
  • How a lot of Hollywood films that include East European or Russian gangsters in the story feel it is necessary to show a scene with them watching football, or soccer, at some point in order to emphasise that they are definitely from Europe.
  • bompington
    Yesterday's 9 page doc on how to open your windows

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Hey someone spent a lot of time on that bomp!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bompington
    That's nothing compared to the Scottish govt's official advice for schools doc: 54 pages, 21,000 words.
  • That's nothing compared to the Scottish govt's official advice for schools doc: 54 pages, 21,000 words.

Get the chippy little chielf health officer to explain it in 15 easy minutes, summarised by people need to use common sense on account of that's the only option given the clarity of advice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Trying to put a fresh coat of white paint on a white ceiling in artificial light. What's the betting it's covered in patches in daylight?
  • That's nothing compared to the Scottish govt's official advice for schools doc: 54 pages, 21,000 words.

I think my school's Covid document is 91 pages long.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593
    the [spoiler] has been designed to beautifully merge into the park landscape, with soft rolling horticultural boundaries that provide a natural experience for [spolier] to use

playground, children

This annoys me.

• Pross
    edited September 2020
    I've probably mentioned it before but Charlie Stayt's interview style. He asks a fairly straightforward question but then, as the interviewee is about to answer he tries to explain what he's asking and adds on sub-questions. He also either doesn't listen to the answer or doesn't understand simple answers.

This morning's example was interviewing Hancock, who I don't generally have any sympathy for, about the new track and trace app. Stayt: "How many people need to download the app for it to be useful"

Hancock: "The more people that use it the better"

Stayt: "So you don't know how many people need to download it"

Hancock ended up having to explain that two people downloading it is better than none but a thousand is better than two which was obviously the initial answer.

EDIT He then went on claim Hancock had said self-isolating was advice not a legal requirement and Naga had to step in and correct him that it was only advisory if you got a warning from the app not through contact tracing.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    But that is common to British journalism.
    Take sport, Interviewer plays pundit of epic knowledge and experience, asks leading questions which has a foundation of 'I know what you tried to do and did you...?' Instead, why don't they ask straight questions and let the recipient answer in their own way, their own interpretation?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Builders who start job hopping half way through your project. We started having a new kitchen fitted last week along with some modifications to another room. I was really impressed with their progress, first day had the old kitchen removed and cleared away plus a start of stud walling the other room. Second day everything was done ready for the plasterer to come in the following day and on the fourth day the tiler was in and got the new kitchen floor done. We were having the new kitchen delivered on Monday so they didn't come in as the delivery slot was quite wide, came back Tuesday and made a good start on installation but told us they wouldn't be in yesterday (no reason given) and today they just haven't appeared. It's pretty annoying having two additional days with no kitchen but what makes it worse is, had they not come in on Tuesday and started the kitchen installation at all we would have had an easier job painting the walls as the plaster hadn't had time to dry over the weekend.
  • It is a rich folk poor folk thing.

If you ask nicely they'll explain that there was something wrong with the van, their gran, their dog or possibly a health condition they have to battle daily. Set aside about half an hour for this.

Don't bother explaining anything about yourself, though. They don't give a shjt.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    "Getting in the festive spirit!"

It is still September FFS!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Had yet another running race permanently cancelled this week. Whilst that's annoying in itself it is totally understandable. The original date in February was cancelled due to Storm Ciara and now the new date in November has been scrapped even though the organisers haven't been told they have to (again understandable and it is almost certain they would have had to in the end anyway).

I don't have an issue with either cancellation but they are quoting a no refund clause in the Ts & Cs to keep everyone's entry fee even though I suspect the intention of that is to cover if an entrant chooses to cancel. I don't even mind them keeping part of the entry to cover their costs, they're just a running club and due to the late cancellation of the original event had already bought t shirts and medals.

Where it starts to get properly annoying for me and most others I know who entered is they are keeping the whole entry fee and after covering costs the rest is being donated to a charity of their choice. Even that isn't too bad as I don't mind giving a few quid to a charity but would rather get to choose which. The real icing on the cake is they are also keeping the t shirts and medals paid for by the entry fees and looking at options to give them away. Effectively in keeping everyone's money to cover the costs surely those now belong to the entrants? I don't really want yet another finisher's medal but then who will they give them away to and another t shirt is always useful.
  • Friends.

Specifically, friends who know that you have spent the last 5 weeks working away from home, staying in a hotel (alone) all week... then when you finish and finally get to go home, they ring....

... to invite you out to a restaurant for dinner.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Yeh you just want home cooking and the sofa at this point.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Opinions & egos.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593
    This website asking if it can monetise my privacy every five minutes. It is becoming unusable.
  • Also the fact that each site deals with cookies in different ways.
  • Pross
    We got the kitchen tiles a couple of weeks as part of having it refitted. I measured up and it was on the cusp of either 7 or 8 boxes of tiles, 6 to a box so to allow for wastage I got 8 as any unused full boxes could go back. When the tiler had finished all boxes had been opened and I noticed there were quite a few off cuts and several whole tiles left.

It was only when I was clearing the waste earlier that I discovered there were 7 whole tiles left and he'd unnecessarily opened the last box. All the packaging had been ripped off so no chance of returning them now so unless they can be used in the fireplace we're getting done they'll go to waste and it'll be £30 down the drain.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    "Little Mix search for a star"

FFS a bunch of talentless posing morons looking for the next generation of talentless posing morons.

Five FLICKING weekends of prime time telly for them to achieve what didn't need achieving and what most people won't give a rat's w@ank about.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross said:

We got the kitchen tiles a couple of weeks as part of having it refitted. I measured up and it was on the cusp of either 7 or 8 boxes of tiles, 6 to a box so to allow for wastage I got 8 as any unused full boxes could go back. When the tiler had finished all boxes had been opened and I noticed there were quite a few off cuts and several whole tiles left.

It was only when I was clearing the waste earlier that I discovered there were 7 whole tiles left and he'd unnecessarily opened the last box. All the packaging had been ripped off so no chance of returning them now so unless they can be used in the fireplace we're getting done they'll go to waste and it'll be £30 down the drain.

You are not really £30 down. It is always sensible to keep an extra box of tiles. We always advise clients to hide a box away somewhere, just in case something in the wall has to be accessed (shower replacement, electrical fault etc) and tiling is damaged
  • Pross

Pross said:

You are not really £30 down. It is always sensible to keep an extra box of tiles. We always advise clients to hide a box away somewhere, just in case something in the wall has to be accessed (shower replacement, electrical fault etc) and tiling is damaged
    These were floor tiles. I'll keep hold of them just in case but can't see them getting used. When we had some left over after doing the bathroom about 10 years ago I used them to tile a shed floor as we had mice or rats chewing their way in. Worked a treat.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Pross said:

Pross said:

These were floor tiles. I'll keep hold of them just in case but can't see them getting used. When we had some left over after doing the bathroom about 10 years ago I used them to tile a shed floor as we had mice or rats chewing their way in. Worked a treat.
    Would they not just eat the wood from beneath and then one day, your foot goes straight through the tiles?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    I think they used to go after the rabbit food. Once they'd chewed a few holes and could no longer get in they must have given up. 10 years on and the shed is still there with no problems so it either worked or it was down to the rabbits dying and us getting rid of all the food.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

I think they used to go after the rabbit food. Once they'd chewed a few holes and could no longer get in they must have given up. 10 years on and the shed is still there with no problems so it either worked or it was down to the rabbits dying and us getting rid of all the food.

A high risk strategy if you’d used your shed to cap an old well though.