Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe someone could do a comparison of the military strength of European countries in WW2? Admittedly some may find it a bit trickier than in the C-19 thread to praise Germany for being near the top of the class.

Sorry, what are you arguing here?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

what are you arguing about? that entire sentence is about the British saving Rick and how he should be eternally grateful. If I had argued he should be grateful to the British Empire rather than just GB then I would accept your point.

He would be speaking German now, if he had survived their ethnic cleansing if it was not for Great Britain and the British who now allow him such a comfortable life for him to constantly criticise.

As per quote below. The war references e.g. "Britain saved the world during WW2" are annoying, but so too are the corrections "No, it didn't, aren't you aware of the contribution of the Russians on the Eastern front, and that is before the significance of the US entering war is factor in."

It's trivial, but it is annoying. Like people who go on about peanuts, actually, are legumes. Sure, but do you think the barman cares. Does anyone care?

"Dunkirk spirit".

It was a f*cking military and strategic loss. The flotilla itself would be, in other circumstances, wholly irresponsible and it was only because no-one in their right mind would do a civilian 'boat lift' and some very lucky weather that it wasn't an even bigger disaster.

At best, it was a flukey narrow tactical victory.

Stop banging on about it.

I find war references from those who did not participate to be annoying. I also find the correction of those people on historical grounds equally irritating.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2020

what are you arguing about? that entire sentence is about the British saving Rick and how he should be eternally grateful. If I had argued he should be grateful to the British Empire rather than just GB then I would accept your point.

He would be speaking German now, if he had survived their ethnic cleansing if it was not for Great Britain and the British who now allow him such a comfortable life for him to constantly criticise.

As per quote below. The war references e.g. "Britain saved the world during WW2" are annoying, but so too are the corrections "No, it didn't, aren't you aware of the contribution of the Russians on the Eastern front, and that is before the significance of the US entering war is factor in."

It's trivial, but it is annoying. Like people who go on about peanuts, actually, are legumes. Sure, but do you think the barman cares. Does anyone care?

"Dunkirk spirit".

It was a f*cking military and strategic loss. The flotilla itself would be, in other circumstances, wholly irresponsible and it was only because no-one in their right mind would do a civilian 'boat lift' and some very lucky weather that it wasn't an even bigger disaster.

I find war references from those who did not participate to be annoying. I also find the correction of those people on historical grounds equally irritating.
    National narratives and identities are not based on whether peanuts are or aren't nuts.

You're better than to say that interpretations of the past are merely trivial.

• TheBigBean

"Dunkirk spirit".

National narratives and identities are not based on whether peanuts are or aren't nuts.

Ok. Let's look at it another way.

Telling a barman that his offer of nuts is technically incorrect, because they are legumes is not likely to achieve anything, because the barman has no interest.

Telling a jingoist that Britain didn't win the war, because its contribution wasn't that big is not likely to achieve anything, because the jingoist has no interest.

Anyway, this is a trivial thing that annoys me

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

"Dunkirk spirit".

If the likes of Coopster were aware of their country’s century long decline they might be less inclined to place so much faith in British exceptionalism.

The same could be said for the French who are taught that they liberated their own country in 1944
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe someone could do a comparison of the military strength of European countries in WW2? Admittedly some may find it a bit trickier than in the C-19 thread to praise Germany for being near the top of the class.

Sorry, what are you arguing here?
    I'm not arguing, I'm just suggesting something.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Reading the above sort of sh1te on this thread. Exactly how many angels is it that can balance of the head of a pin. FFS. Get out more you lot.
  • rick_chasey
    orraloon said:

Reading the above sort of sh1te on this thread. Exactly how many angels is it that can balance of the head of a pin. FFS. Get out more you lot.

Ahaha.

Back on topic: strava has stopped free users accessing leaderboards.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    What's come over BR?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    pinno said:

What's come over BR?

Dunno. Perhaps people who know f*** all 20th century history should shut up, if only to stop annoying @TheBigBean.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    That I can't avoid Trump's latest utterances.
  • TheBigBean
    orraloon said:

Can someone translate this for me? I presume it means there has been a lot of boring disagreeable posts.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

orraloon said:

Ahaha.

Back on topic: strava has stopped free users accessing leaderboards.

Komoot it is, then. Not losing any sleep over this.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    orraloon said:

Get out more you lot.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Loon
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    orraloon said:

There just might be a reason people haven't been getting out much recently. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Microsoft Teams. Proprietary means of communication are irritating at the best of times, but at least make them functional.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    poorly toasted toast

raw - bread shown toaster, then put on a plate
    uneven - one end/side untoasted
    shallow - high-speed high-heat contraption that merely singes the surfaced without developing the necessary depth of taste and crunch

i always tell the waiter to take it back, did it twice in one breakfast
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • surrey_commuter
    sungod said:

poorly toasted toast

shallow - high-speed high-heat contraption that merely singes the surfaced without developing the necessary depth of taste and crunch

Please share with us this place where you can have a waiter bring you breakfast
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355

sungod said:

poorly toasted toast

Wormwood scrubs.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    edited May 2020

sungod said:

poorly toasted toast

hotels, restaurants, even cafes - most countries do not have the 'queue at the counter' model that's typical in the uk

i'm pining for colbert on sloane square to re-open, though getting an outside table on a sunny day was always a lottery at the best of times, btw colbert's toast is correct, and served the proper way, by a waiter :smiley:
  • TheBigBean
    Even cheap cafes selling all day breakfasts for less than £5 have table service. Maybe they're not called waiters.
  • surrey_commuter
    I assumed most posts on here had been triggered therefore I was intrigued (wrong thread) as to your circumstances that had triggered this annoyance
  • sungod
    ahh, poor toast is a lifelong annoyance

i'd been reminiscing about eating out and it just came to mind
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Anybody live anywhere near Glastonbury?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

oh, good grief.

I'm appalled and frightened by the levels of stupidity involved with this. I'll admit to not being the sharpest knife sometimes, and I'm sure we're all responsible for some howlers in our pasts, but continuing to believe this 5G stuff I find depressing.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576

That cheers me up rather than annoying me.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Have they got the GPS satellites orbiting in some weird pattern that deliberately avoids getting too close to eastern Scotland? Or maybe I just need to give up drinking and cycling.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    Pross said:

That cheers me up rather than annoying me.
    Me too, laughed all over again being reminded of it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I might start making and selling my own anti-5G USB sticks, depending how much luck Trading Standards has...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sungod
    Ben6899 said:

I might start making and selling my own anti-5G USB sticks, depending how much luck Trading Standards has...

i'd had the same thought, fleecing the tinfoil hatters can only help society

antivax bracelets, lovingly crafted silicone bands that protect you from all known vaccines (wear two for rabies)
    chemtrail facemasks, look exactly like a surgical mask so you're neighbours will never know!
    anticovid mouthwash, as recommended by donald trump