Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    who creates a mobile phone app that controls a set of cycling lights, that when it detects theres an app update disables the app and wont let you use it till its updated even when you check the update when Im connected to wifi only box...See.sense thats who :(
  • awavey wrote:
    who creates a mobile phone app that controls a set of cycling lights, that when it detects theres an app update disables the app and wont let you use it till its updated even when you check the update when Im connected to wifi only box...See.sense thats who :(
    Are these the lights it's for?

$_86.JPG
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Why tf do you need an app to control your bike lights? Is it so Zuckerberg can see where you are to target ads at you?
    #oldschool
  • awavey wrote:
    Are these the lights it's for?

$_86.JPG
    Bit modern, the all metal every ready and pick lamps were much worse. Batteries lasted two rides at most on the way home from school if the contacts didn't corrode out first.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    I had a front hub dynamo. It was brilliant. Far better then the 'wonder' lights above apart from when you stopped.
    With a battery back up, why couldn't they bring them back? ...and perhaps a recharging facility from the same hub. I mean, lights have come a long long way since then and I cannot see why the load could not be accommodated.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    orraloon wrote:
    Why tf do you need an app to control your bike lights? Is it so Zuckerberg can see where you are to target ads at you?
    #oldschool

well arguably yes, I wondered why my phone was receiving text message ads from companies Id never give my phone number too lately :lol: the main point of the app is it allows the light/app/phone combination to capture data plots of routes cyclists use and the quality (in terms of bumpiness or not) of those routes, BC are involved as are loads of councils and bike schemes across the country https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/SeeSense

so with the, anonymised, data you can draw heat maps of routes cyclists prefer to use, which helps you plan better cycling infra...at least thats the theory, Ive no idea if it works, but you need the app to talk to the light to capture that data, else its just a fancy light, which you just press a button to switch on instead.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    awavey wrote:
    ...else its just a fancy light, which you just press a button to switch on instead.
    Neat summary.
    I will never understand why people want to control things through their phones or Garmin (etc).
    Especially when these things already have job specific buttons. Switch on, go; stop, switch off. Simples.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awavey wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    #oldschool

well arguably yes, I wondered why my phone was receiving text message ads from companies Id never give my phone number too lately :lol: the main point of the app is it allows the light/app/phone combination to capture data plots of routes cyclists use and the quality (in terms of bumpiness or not) of those routes, BC are involved as are loads of councils and bike schemes across the country https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/SeeSense

so with the, anonymised, data you can draw heat maps of routes cyclists prefer to use, which helps you plan better cycling infra...at least thats the theory, Ive no idea if it works, but you need the app to talk to the light to capture that data, else its just a fancy light, which you just press a button to switch on instead.
    Surely it just captures the routes cyclists are forced to use. As for bumps, it just shows how we all weeve about avoiding the bumps.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Pinno wrote:
    I had a front hub dynamo. It was brilliant. Far better then the 'wonder' lights above apart from when you stopped.
    With a battery back up, why couldn't they bring them back? ...and perhaps a recharging facility from the same hub. I mean, lights have come a long long way since then and I cannot see why the load could not be accommodated.

Mine's a Schmidt

https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-hub-dynamo-system/

It's great, with minimal drag. There is an accumulator to keep the lights on for a while at junctions.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pinno wrote:

Joke right? As per John88 - I have SON hub on my tourer. Also connected to the rear light until the fancy German electronics packed up but that glowed brighter when you braked. All rather nifty. The front light also has a USB port to keep your computer charged up. On the downside. Mark Zuckerberg has no idea where you are.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pinno wrote:
    Yes, but why? With lights the way they are now - and going - a small pack easily lasts a ride or 3 and is quickly recharged when back home.

I thought about the old Dynamo lights (rubbing on the sidewall) - thinking, yer - that'd be great, cheap & no more having to worry about lights running out of power ... but hang on ... they don't (generally) - and you can get decent Dynamo hubs if you're into long night rides....

Next you'll be on about re-introducing the clicker milometers ...
  • awavey wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    #oldschool

It's a good light though - it does change its flashing based on how you are moving even without connecting to a phone.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Mine's a Schmidt

It's great, with minimal drag. There is an accumulator to keep the lights on for a while at junctions.

Hiya
    Always curious about these, how much drag do they add? Plus weight?
    Always amused to see people with Bromptons with them fitted, I mean, by its definition, it's a bike for short mostly urban journeys, so...why? Just use some rechargeable lights.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Chris Bass wrote:
    My Boss (who I am sat next to today!) sucks his thumb and i can hear the saliva! it is basically all I can focus on - it is horrible!

:shock:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SecretSam wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Mine's a Schmidt

Hiya
    Always curious about these, how much drag do they add? Plus weight?
    Always amused to see people with Bromptons with them fitted, I mean, by its definition, it's a bike for short mostly urban journeys, so...why? Just use some rechargeable lights.

Ultimately they are most useful for Touring as per issues listed above. They are essential for that - keeps the lights working (though, I bought it for my Norway tour so the only darkness issue was tunnels) - keeps phone, tablet, computer + any other electronic crap you might need all charged up.

Drag only applies when switched on and you don't notice it. Weight isn't much at least added onto a loaded tourer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • awavey
    awavey wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    #oldschool

Surely it just captures the routes cyclists are forced to use. As for bumps, it just shows how we all weeve about avoiding the bumps.

well exactly but thats part of the data capture if you like,it shows the routes cyclists are forced to use and highlights the routes the councils put in dont work, so they can plan better in the future
  • awavey
    when you order arm warmers, and they send you leg warmers instead :roll:
  • awavey wrote:
    when you order arm warmers, and they send you leg warmers instead :roll:
    Do some weights, maybe, to make them fit?
  • Cowsham wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    My Boss (who I am sat next to today!) sucks his thumb and i can hear the saliva! it is basically all I can focus on - it is horrible!

:shock:

Lol i can only imagine,poor Chris.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    People who try hard to appear 'bubbly' when you can tell it's not natural. They remind me of that Colin Hunt character in the Fast Show.
  • bubbly is usually a synonym for fat
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    EasyJet being constructively inept when I'm trying to reclaim the cost of the 3 extra nights hotel accommodation for a party of 6 after they cancelled our flight back from Rome.
    It's impossible to get them to answer the phone, their online chat apparently cannot help, I've written to them once, filled in their online form three times, and sent them countless emails. Now they claim they cannot find my booking and cite that as reason enough to refuse the claim. Of course I can still find the booking on their website.

Actually it's not trivial. I'm £600 out of pocket and they are starting to really fcuking annoy me :evil:
  • Pross
    bubbly is usually a synonym for fat

The people that triggered my comment were.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Idiot foreign students that expect 98kg of Tashman to melt away when they're walking 4 abrest along the pavement. Then look upset when you tell them to get out of the farking way!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Tashman wrote:
    Idiot foreign students that expect 98kg of Tashman to melt away when they're walking 4 abrest along the pavement. Then look upset when you tell them to get out of the farking way!
    You actually tell them? I just dip the shoulder
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    bompington wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    You actually tell them? I just dip the shoulder
    The first one I told, the second I bulldozed happily
  • keef66 wrote:
    EasyJet being constructively inept when I'm trying to reclaim the cost of the 3 extra nights hotel accommodation for a party of 6 after they cancelled our flight back from Rome.
    It's impossible to get them to answer the phone, their online chat apparently cannot help, I've written to them once, filled in their online form three times, and sent them countless emails. Now they claim they cannot find my booking and cite that as reason enough to refuse the claim. Of course I can still find the booking on their website.

Actually it's not trivial. I'm £600 out of pocket and they are starting to really fcuking annoy me :evil:

Have you have made a separate EU261 claim? Unless the cancellation was weather or significantly out of their control you are also due this.

If they fail to respond to your hotel claim, issue a letter of intent to take them through the MCOL process.

If they don’t reply within the timeline you set, start the process. This normally gets airlines moving.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This was because French Air Traffic Control broke on 1st September, so it's 'extraordinary circumstances' and no automatic compensation. They do still have some obligations under (EC)261/2004 Article 9 to provide assistance in the form of meals, refreshments and hotel accommodation. I've given up on the food and drink because we didn't get proper receipts, but I am trying to reclaim the hotel bill. I believe they are trying to wriggle out of paying up because we chose a refund for the cancelled flight and found an earlier return flight with another carrier.

Small Claims Court or Alternative Dispute Resolution which for EasyJet is CEDR?
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    keef66 wrote:
    This was because French Air Traffic Control broke on 1st September, so it's 'extraordinary circumstances' and no automatic compensation. They do still have some obligations under (EC)261/2004 Article 9 to provide assistance in the form of meals, refreshments and hotel accommodation. I've given up on the food and drink because we didn't get proper receipts, but I am trying to reclaim the hotel bill. I believe they are trying to wriggle out of paying up because we chose a refund for the cancelled flight and found an earlier return flight with another carrier.

Small Claims Court or Alternative Dispute Resolution which for EasyJet is CEDR?

So if this happens are you better to wait for them to organise an alternative flight? Would that mean they'd compensate for the accommodation and meals automatically?
  • Pross
    Major sporting events being held in Qatar. With the athletics they've had to move the champs back weeks to give it a chance to be 'cooler', air conditioning an outdoor stadium to get the temperature down to a mere 27 degrees, having to do the marathon at midnight when it will still be over 30 degrees using a lap course and having it all to look forward to again for the next football world cup.