Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

1491492494496497534

Posts

  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    To be fair, I find giving it [insert number larger than 100]% even more irritating, so perhaps I should be pleased with the move towards full gas.

    You are assuming that the value it is comparing with is maximum effort. It is not necessarily. You can understand giving more than 100% FTP, if that was the starting value for comparison.

    What "I'm going to give it 150%" could mean is "normally, I work at about 50% of my maximum potential, but today, I'm going to try a bit, Brian".

    Thanks. I'll go with that and be less annoyed by it. Can you find an excuse for everyone talking about full gas all the time?

    Cycling takes many words from other languages. American is just a new one.
    and then the next thing you know
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 15,761
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

    Not having the slighest clue which local bike shop is any good.

    Walking a fair way to a bike shop to find out there is nothing wrong with the threads, just my technique. Apparently, I need to turn it the wrong way to start with - is that common knowledge? Certainly not something I did with any previous BB.

    It's not bottom bracket specific; any relatively large diameter, fine thread will crossthread more easily than smaller diameter, coarser threads.

    Why does turning it the wrong way help? I understand the crossthreading risk.

    Not sure exactly, but I would imagine something about the geometry of the two parts tends to align them when light pressure and rotation is applied.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 8,466
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

    Not having the slighest clue which local bike shop is any good.

    Walking a fair way to a bike shop to find out there is nothing wrong with the threads, just my technique. Apparently, I need to turn it the wrong way to start with - is that common knowledge? Certainly not something I did with any previous BB.

    It's not bottom bracket specific; any relatively large diameter, fine thread will crossthread more easily than smaller diameter, coarser threads.

    Why does turning it the wrong way help? I understand the crossthreading risk.

    Not sure exactly, but I would imagine something about the geometry of the two parts tends to align them when light pressure and rotation is applied.

    I see. Anyway, I am now wiser which is a good thing, but also embarrassed. Still, my colleague asked me yesterday why wheels need spokes. At least, I'm better than that!
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,181
    ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,705
    Pross wrote:
    ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.
    I'm at work so can't see the level of Mansplaining but I assume it's related to the fact that they expect more people to take interest as it's a big tournament. Rugby's laws are fairly mind boggling.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,181
    Tashman wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.
    I'm at work so can't see the level of Mansplaining but I assume it's related to the fact that they expect more people to take interest as it's a big tournament. Rugby's laws are fairly mind boggling.

    You don't see them have Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand demonstrating the off-site rule at a football world cup though. It feels like they think as they rarely show international rugby their audience doesn't watch the game. At least they've got fairly decent pundits though and the first match has been entertaining
  • Pross wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ITV rugby coverage. The first match of the RWC hasn't even kicked off yet and I'm already fed up with the constant adverts and mansplaining of the game.
    I'm at work so can't see the level of Mansplaining but I assume it's related to the fact that they expect more people to take interest as it's a big tournament. Rugby's laws are fairly mind boggling.

    You don't see them have Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand demonstrating the off-site rule at a football world cup though. It feels like they think as they rarely show international rugby their audience doesn't watch the game. At least they've got fairly decent pundits though and the first match has been entertaining

    Be interesting to know how many people who don't understand anything about rugby are tuning in for Japan against Russia at 11:45 am. Maybe they want to see Loose Women, and can't change the channel.
    and then the next thing you know
  • cowshamcowsham Posts: 1,444
    keef66 wrote:
    Almost anything threaded I start off by turning it the wrong way till I feel the first thread click in. Large dia fine threads especially. Cassette lockrings are another good example.


    Thanks for highlighting this -- not because I didn't know but because I do it automatically and forget to tell young green engineers to do it.

    Another one is mechanical engineers or car mechanics who don't know that a little time spent cleaning the threads ( if any are sticking out beyond the nut before removal ) will prevent jamming and cross threading -- grit or especially sand can get trapped and destroy the threads even when it's invisible to the eye.
  • cowsham wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Almost anything threaded I start off by turning it the wrong way till I feel the first thread click in. Large dia fine threads especially. Cassette lockrings are another good example.


    Thanks for highlighting this -- not because I didn't know but because I do it automatically and forget to tell young green engineers to do it.

    Another one is mechanical engineers or car mechanics who don't know that a little time spent cleaning the threads ( if any are sticking out beyond the nut before removal ) will prevent jamming and cross threading -- grit or especially sand can get trapped and destroy the threads even when it's invisible to the eye.
    The problem is where there is no chamfer and the parts are threaded to the end; so the edge of the hole can pick up like the thread start causing cross threading. Revrse turn ensures the initial engagement is on the thread, not the edge of the hole.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,271
    seeing on social media some riders picked by the countrys to represent them have had to source their own replacement parts for their bikes,just days before their world championship events, which clearly affects their preparation going into it

    has anything changed since the 50s ? :roll: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... sing-take/
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 10,027
    awavey wrote:
    seeing on social media some riders picked by the countrys to represent them have had to source their own replacement parts for their bikes,just days before their world championship events, which clearly affects their preparation going into it

    has anything changed since the 50s ? :roll: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... sing-take/
    You don't have to go back too far in time for that to be the case for our top team either.
    I do take your point though. Things are improving. I hope...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Every morning and evening when I put aftershave on, take the top off and mysteriously the bit where it sprays out of has always turned itself to the rear.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Every morning and evening when I put aftershave on, take the top off and mysteriously the bit where it sprays out of has always turned itself to the rear.

    it is on a spring, you must be twisting it back against the coil, twist it the other way, problem solved
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,417
    Load of rain this morning as we're eating breakfast - check rain-alarm (other apps available) yup - big load of rain, will be passing through shortly, nice gap, then another load coming through ...
    Fine - roads are "damp" so we won't cycle (annoyance 1) - but we're not taking the car - we'll walk to school.
    It's only 1/2 mile - not far - there's no rain, but we've got coats on and an umbrella, just in case.

    Normally see loads of other kids going the same way - nobody .... well - just one family in front - nobody else around at all ... few more cars going past ... yes ... they're all DRIVING to school (annoyance 2) - it's not far, it's not raining so just flippin walk (or run) ...
  • If it's raining put on a rain coat. It rains a reasonable enough amount in the UK to warrant owning one.

    I have lost count of how many I have. 3, maybe 4? Perhaps nearer 6 even
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,181
    slowbike wrote:
    Load of rain this morning as we're eating breakfast - check rain-alarm (other apps available) yup - big load of rain, will be passing through shortly, nice gap, then another load coming through ...
    Fine - roads are "damp" so we won't cycle (annoyance 1) - but we're not taking the car - we'll walk to school.
    It's only 1/2 mile - not far - there's no rain, but we've got coats on and an umbrella, just in case.

    Normally see loads of other kids going the same way - nobody .... well - just one family in front - nobody else around at all ... few more cars going past ... yes ... they're all DRIVING to school (annoyance 2) - it's not far, it's not raining so just flippin walk (or run) ...

    14 mile round trip to drop my daughter at the bus station for her bus to college took 55 minutes instead of 25 yesterday (I appreciate the irony of moaning about it when I was driving but the buses from my village are so infrequent the journey all the way by bus takes an hour longer).
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 10,027
    slowbike wrote:
    Load of rain this morning as we're eating breakfast - check rain-alarm (other apps available) yup - big load of rain, will be passing through shortly, nice gap, then another load coming through ...
    Fine - roads are "damp" so we won't cycle (annoyance 1) - but we're not taking the car - we'll walk to school.
    It's only 1/2 mile - not far - there's no rain, but we've got coats on and an umbrella, just in case.

    Normally see loads of other kids going the same way - nobody .... well - just one family in front - nobody else around at all ... few more cars going past ... yes ... they're all DRIVING to school (annoyance 2) - it's not far, it's not raining so just flippin walk (or run) ...
    Quite a lot of parents drive to our local primary school.
    The furthest house is 1/2 mile away from the school. :evil:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,417
    pblakeney wrote:
    slowbike wrote:
    Load of rain this morning as we're eating breakfast - check rain-alarm (other apps available) yup - big load of rain, will be passing through shortly, nice gap, then another load coming through ...
    Fine - roads are "damp" so we won't cycle (annoyance 1) - but we're not taking the car - we'll walk to school.
    It's only 1/2 mile - not far - there's no rain, but we've got coats on and an umbrella, just in case.

    Normally see loads of other kids going the same way - nobody .... well - just one family in front - nobody else around at all ... few more cars going past ... yes ... they're all DRIVING to school (annoyance 2) - it's not far, it's not raining so just flippin walk (or run) ...
    Quite a lot of parents drive to our local primary school.
    The furthest house is 1/2 mile away from the school. :evil:

    I mentioned this annoyance during lunch ... apparently quite a few "go on to work afterwards" ... well - so do I - but I just factored in getting too/from school without the vehicle when sorting out my working hours - I can get home in 2 minutes on the bike (yes I timed it) - walking only takes a little longer. Plus it's good for the kids to have a bit of exercise before school.

    I'd like them to close the road outside school for 1/4hr-20 minutes around drop off and pickup time - yes, it'll be inconvenient for a few - but most use it as a cut through - or are there transporting their kids .... it is quite ridiculous ...
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 10,027
    slowbike wrote:
    pblakeney wrote:
    slowbike wrote:
    Load of rain this morning as we're eating breakfast - check rain-alarm (other apps available) yup - big load of rain, will be passing through shortly, nice gap, then another load coming through ...
    Fine - roads are "damp" so we won't cycle (annoyance 1) - but we're not taking the car - we'll walk to school.
    It's only 1/2 mile - not far - there's no rain, but we've got coats on and an umbrella, just in case.

    Normally see loads of other kids going the same way - nobody .... well - just one family in front - nobody else around at all ... few more cars going past ... yes ... they're all DRIVING to school (annoyance 2) - it's not far, it's not raining so just flippin walk (or run) ...
    Quite a lot of parents drive to our local primary school.
    The furthest house is 1/2 mile away from the school. :evil:

    I mentioned this annoyance during lunch ... apparently quite a few "go on to work afterwards" ... well - so do I - but I just factored in getting too/from school without the vehicle when sorting out my working hours - I can get home in 2 minutes on the bike (yes I timed it) - walking only takes a little longer. Plus it's good for the kids to have a bit of exercise before school.

    I'd like them to close the road outside school for 1/4hr-20 minutes around drop off and pickup time - yes, it'll be inconvenient for a few - but most use it as a cut through - or are there transporting their kids .... it is quite ridiculous ...
    In our village it is actually quicker to walk due to congestion and pavement shortcuts.
    In a similar vein, the amount of neighbours who drive to the local shop. It is less than 200m.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,271
    pblakeney wrote:
    slowbike wrote:
    pblakeney wrote:
    slowbike wrote:
    Load of rain this morning as we're eating breakfast - check rain-alarm (other apps available) yup - big load of rain, will be passing through shortly, nice gap, then another load coming through ...
    Fine - roads are "damp" so we won't cycle (annoyance 1) - but we're not taking the car - we'll walk to school.
    It's only 1/2 mile - not far - there's no rain, but we've got coats on and an umbrella, just in case.

    Normally see loads of other kids going the same way - nobody .... well - just one family in front - nobody else around at all ... few more cars going past ... yes ... they're all DRIVING to school (annoyance 2) - it's not far, it's not raining so just flippin walk (or run) ...
    Quite a lot of parents drive to our local primary school.
    The furthest house is 1/2 mile away from the school. :evil:

    I mentioned this annoyance during lunch ... apparently quite a few "go on to work afterwards" ... well - so do I - but I just factored in getting too/from school without the vehicle when sorting out my working hours - I can get home in 2 minutes on the bike (yes I timed it) - walking only takes a little longer. Plus it's good for the kids to have a bit of exercise before school.

    I'd like them to close the road outside school for 1/4hr-20 minutes around drop off and pickup time - yes, it'll be inconvenient for a few - but most use it as a cut through - or are there transporting their kids .... it is quite ridiculous ...
    In our village it is actually quicker to walk due to congestion and pavement shortcuts.
    In a similar vein, the amount of neighbours who drive to the local shop. It is less than 200m.

    yes was discussing very topic in passing at work today as people were moaning how long it took them to drive in, all of them were for building more roads, extra lanes, none of them showed any real appreciable understanding they were part of the problem
  • earthearth Posts: 934
    You're on the phone to someone. You both want to speak and are talking over each other so you yield and wait for the other to finish but they stop speaking for you at the same time. They wait, you wait and then just after you speak they start up again!

    It's like waiting for a dithering car driver to pull out of a junction. You slow for them they don't move so you continue and then they start driving into you! :evil:
  • Drivers that think those on the slip road have priority when joining the main carriageway.
    NO!
    this is not FRANCE!
    there is a give-way sign and a dashed line, the driver joining is responsible for gap/speed matching etc.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,181
    Drivers that think those on the slip road have priority when joining the main carriageway.
    NO!
    this is not FRANCE!
    there is a give-way sign and a dashed line, the driver joining is responsible for gap/speed matching etc.

    It depends on the layout, if there are merge signs and the single broken markings then it's a merge and neither road has priority. If the joining vehicle is supposed to give way then there should be a double row of give way markings, triangle marking and, generally, the give way sign (it sounds like this is the case in your example but the merge layout is more common in my experience). The ones I hate are those that merge but have to get out into lane 3 IMMEDIATELY and cut across all 3 lanes in one manoeuvre.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 6,897
    Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

    give priority to traffic already on the motorway
    check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
    not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
    stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
    remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    My Boss (who I am sat next to today!) sucks his thumb and i can hear the saliva! it is basically all I can focus on - it is horrible!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,181
    Chris Bass wrote:
    My Boss (who I am sat next to today!) sucks his thumb and i can hear the saliva! it is basically all I can focus on - it is horrible!

    Is he cuddling a comfort blanket as well?
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pross wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    My Boss (who I am sat next to today!) sucks his thumb and i can hear the saliva! it is basically all I can focus on - it is horrible!

    Is he cuddling a comfort blanket as well?

    he does it so much his thumb is discoloured and has a weird lump in it!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 5,519
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    My Boss (who I am sat next to today!) sucks his thumb and i can hear the saliva! it is basically all I can focus on - it is horrible!

    Is he cuddling a comfort blanket as well?

    he does it so much his thumb is discoloured and has a weird lump in it!
    Is his name Linus? I wondered what would become of him when he grew up.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 10,027
    Pross wrote:
    The ones I hate are those that merge but have to get out into lane 3 IMMEDIATELY and cut across all 3 lanes in one manoeuvre.
    The ones I hate most are the ones who insist on merging within 10 feet of the merge, even if the lane continues for a mile. I've seen them come to a standstill with miles of empty lane in front of them. :evil:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington wrote:
    Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

    give priority to traffic already on the motorway
    check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
    not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
    stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
    remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.
    Exactly.
Sign In or Register to comment.