Using 2 Seatpost Shims

alistaird
alistaird Posts: 290
edited November 2012 in Workshop
All,

I'm building up a tandem and I want to use my retro Use Titanium Seatpost which is a 25.4 diameter (and I know all the newer ones are 25.0). The main reason is that it gives me the flexibility of stem choice for the stoker. Now the frame inner diameter for the seatpost is 29.4 and this is the size which came with the frame. I have found a 25.4 to 29.4 shim but it's in the US and the shipping is 3-4 times the cost of the shim!

I have an existing 25.4 to 27.2 shim which I was using on my MTB and my question is:

Can I use an additional 27.2 to 29.4 shim or would 2 shims together cause a problem?

My simple thought is not but just wanted a view from the people who know these things on this forum. The Tandem will only be used for touring and not off road or racing!!!

Thanks all.

A
Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
Mountain Bike - Sold them all....

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Aesthetically it might not please some people, but provided it holds the seatpost firmly without the need to over-tighten the clamp bolt, there's no other reason as to why not.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Aesthetically it might not please some people, but provided it holds the seatpost firmly without the need to over-tighten the clamp bolt, there's no other reason as to why not.

Thanks Monty,

Agree about the aesthetics but it's going to be a very 'functional' tandem..

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....