853 v 931 v XCR

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Other than the fact that the latter 2 are stainless and more expensive compared to the 853, are there really otjer significant differences? I suspect the weights are broadly comparable.

Also what is it about XCR that is so special.

Comments

• The difference is the one you have highlighted.
    Given the strength of stainless is a bit higher, they have come out with thinner tubes, which reduce the frame weight by 100-200 grams.
    They are all excellent materials and the choice is often not in your hands, given the limited availability of these tubings.
    I would have no hesitation in going for any of them
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Not seen much about 931, frame builders tend to use 853 or 953. Wonder how new it is? 853 ProTeam is a good value option unless you want stainless or simply "the best money can buy".
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    samsbike wrote:
    Other than the fact that the latter 2 are stainless and more expensive compared to the 853, are there really otjer significant differences? I suspect the weights are broadly comparable.

You obviously haven't ridden an XCr frame .....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would place more importance on the builder to understand your frame needs based on things like your weight, riding style etc and then use that as the basis to select the tubes accordingly. The difficulty with 953 and XCR is availability of tubesets and whether the builder has that choice. Regardless of tubeset, it's feasible to build two frames the same size, but one will be too whippy and the other over-bearingly stiff. Weight differences will be marginal. The attraction of stainless is low maintenance and timeless quality.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant man wrote:
    samsbike wrote:

thats why he is asking...
  • samsbike
    giant man wrote:
    samsbike wrote:

thats why he is asking...

Precisely. I was intrigued by some of the Enigma threads where it was written people prefered XCR over Ti
  • samsbike
    err double post, sorry