Helitape / Best Way To Protect A Frame?

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited November 2012 in MTB general
If i use helitape on my bike and then remove it eg 6 months later will it take all my paoint away or is it pretty easy to come off?
Also (providing i smooth it out/don't leave air pockets etc) does the helitape tend to come off/blister after prolonged contact with water/strong sunlight?

Should i even use helitape or just go with cable patches/chainstay guard?
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I use helitape on my bikes and to be honest it depends on which type you buy as the cheap stuff is crap it peels and turns yellow, dirt gets underneath which happened on both my bikes but if you pay a bit extra for th decent stuff and take your time putting it on you will have no issues.

The 3M stuff i used this time was a lot thicker and much stickier i also used a hair dryer to warm it so it remained plyable to shape and made sure there were no air bubbles but if you do judt stick a pin in it and push the air out.

Mine has been on the bike around 6 months now and still looks great but as for removing it can't really answer that as this stuff really bonds but i wouldn't think it would take the paint off "famous last words"
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Take it off with hairdrier. Try laquer spray also. It used it on my orange over letraset decals of my name and it lasted for years. You can get it in car accessory shops and some of it is used for keeping water away from contacts so is built for wet.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Not sure what make mine is, 3M etc, but I got it from biketart.com.
    Sticks like whatsit to a blanket, tough and no discolouration and it's been on for over 3 years now.
    Edit - it's 3M.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • mikeyj28
    Take it off with hairdrier. Try laquer spray also. It used it on my orange over letraset decals of my name and it lasted for years. You can get it in car accessory shops and some of it is used for keeping water away from contacts so is built for wet.
    That's interesting that it lasted over the letraset decals.
    Just don't want to put it on and then take it off in a year and have a partly stripped frame/ all decals missing.
    Does it ruin the look of the frame or it's hardly noticeable?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • wasnt there a thread on here recently where someone had removed helitape and it took off his paint? think it was an 'on one' frame, and he ended up with a replacement frame under warrenty lol
  • mikeyj28
    wasnt there a thread on here recently where someone had removed helitape and it took off his paint? think it was an 'on one' frame, and he ended up with a replacement frame under warrenty lol

Yes I read that. He had taken it off and half of his paint on came off with it. That's what is bothering me. Guess its a chance you take
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why anyone would want to cover the whole frame is beyond me. Just a few bits where you get cable rub is plenty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    cooldad wrote:
    Why anyone would want to cover the whole frame is beyond me. Just a few bits where you get cable rub is plenty.
    ^^^^this, plus I'd always use a chainstay protector.
  • mikeyj28
    stuisnew wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ^^^^this, plus I'd always use a chainstay protector.

True point. I can see the logic in doing the high risk/more prone areas. Where can i source a carbon rock guard for the underside of my tube to reduce denting/cracking chances? My LBS doesn't stock one but can i get a guard that goes behind the downtube that protects the rear shock (other than the downtube) as i know CUBE has smallish one on the Fritzz.
  • Again, i use 3M heli. Worth the premium over cheap stuff. Stickier and thicker.

Come to think of it think my bike is more heli than paint now.
    Have heli'd - top tube (short rub) down tube (stone chips) chain stays (chain slap) seat stays (heal rub) Seat tube (stone chips from rear wheel) all cable rub and reverb rub points, which is pretty much everywhere else. Only the rear sus swing arm dont have nowt on it.
    Bike now weighs a ton but will stay looking great.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Spent the weekend in my slippers helitaping my new bike. A real pain. I'm now better with a hairdryer than most hairdressers! Hope it stays looking good. Got mine for £10 for 2 meters from ebay. I've plastered it everywhere. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I use the Zentec Shelter tape on the underside of the down tube so much better than the Helitape/ lizard skins stuff twice as thick and after you watch the vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nlxj7X86Nw

you'll want some too pricey but well worth it
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Also 3m Scotchguard tape for is so much cheaper than heli which should also be 3m.
  • mikeyj28 wrote:
    Take it off with hairdrier. Try laquer spray also. It used it on my orange over letraset decals of my name and it lasted for years. You can get it in car accessory shops and some of it is used for keeping water away from contacts so is built for wet.
    That's interesting that it lasted over the letraset decals.
    Just don't want to put it on and then take it off in a year and have a partly stripped frame/ all decals missing.
    Does it ruin the look of the frame or it's hardly noticeable?

The spray I used was invisible.