Replace a Fox Septune rear shock?

jimmy6flats
jimmy6flats Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm refurbishing an S Works Stumpjumper FSR from 2005. I love the way the bike rides, but the rear shock bobs pretty noticeably when I'm pedalling moderately hard. Would it be possible to replace it with a newer shock, preferably one with lockout? If so, can anyone suggest a good one?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Probably, just need to find out the length and stroke of the shock (measure it or try google)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you can find a later triad, thats a good replacement. IIRC the septune is a non standard size.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • OK guys, a bit of research tells me that the Septune is a 190x50 shock. Am I right in saying that any new 190x50 will replace it? The frame is fairly "open" around the shock so I don't think there would be any problem with piggy-back reservoirs etc (do they still even use them?)

If it's a simple one for one replacement, can anyone recommend me a decent shock? Looking to spend about £250ish.

Ta

Jimmy
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    OK guys, a bit of research tells me that the Septune is a 190x50 shock.

Nah, it's 7.5 x 1.75, which = 191 x 44. Can't answer whether the longer stroke on standard shocks causes the shock to foul the stumpy frame, but the risk is there.
  • Cheers for the heads-up, I finally got an answer from Specialized almost at the same time as your post! I guess I'll start searching for a shock in the right size now, just as well I never bought the bigger one.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cheers for the heads-up, I finally got an answer from Specialized almost at the same time as your post! I guess I'll start searching for a shock in the right size now, just as well I never bought the bigger one.
    Just call Mojo and talk to them. They may be able to do things to your shock but they will be able to mod a shock to the correct size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wordnumb
    Personally I've never had a problem with septune shocks. Clearly nobody needs that many propedal settings but it's just a dial, why worry that it has too many increments? You certainly don't need lock out to deal with pedal bob, unless you're knocking back ten energy drinks before a ride (don't do this, it will kill you). Maybe just service / get it serviced?
  • I had no issues with the shock until the plastic casing split open and the whole thing fell apart! That's why I'm after a new one.
  • wordnumb
    Ah.

Gaffa tape, maybe?
  • I had been using tape to hold it together, but it doesn't work well in mud and rain. I've got a bit of money to spend thanks to a work bonus, and it would be nice to get the bike back to its former glory.

Specialized have advised the Float RP23 as a decent replacement, I'll see if I can find a second hand one on eBay.
  • I had been using tape to hold it together, but it doesn't work well in mud and rain. I've got a bit of money to spend thanks to a work bonus, and it would be nice to get the bike back to its former glory.

Specialized have advised the Float RP23 as a decent replacement, I'll see if I can find a second hand one on eBay.

Hi guy,

I've got the same bike (26") and I also would like to replace the post ammo.

Could you please let me know the exactly size of the ammo that Specialized wrote to you?

Actually the size of the float septune is 1,75 x 7,5.
    You have looked for which dimension?

Thanks for support ;)