Mudguards for winter.

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Just bought myself a B'twin Triban 3. Currently sitting in the garage in pristine condition as it's not seen the road yet !

In order to protect my (relatively small) investment as well as keeping it looking nice I'm on the lookout for a set of mudguards.
I'm looking to get the traditional full guards, easy fitting, good price and pretty good looking.

I'm a cycling numpty and am clueless at present. (learning all the time though!) :wink:

Any suggestions from you good people? What to get, where to get them from please?

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    SKS are good - wiggle?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    SKS Raceblade Long - you can leave the brackets in place and unclip the guards in less than 30 seconds. Great quality as well. Cheapest price I've found is High on Bikes eBay store who also give next day delivery, I can't fault them.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    how can you tell if a bike can take winter/mud guards?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Generally they will have eyelets on the forks to attach the stays too and generous clearance between the brake caliper bridge and tyre.

If no eyelets and poor clearance you can go for Crud Roadracers (need 4mm clearance) as they are specifically designed for non-mudguard bikes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    Check your frame has mudguard eyelets on frame and forks, then buy SKS P35 for about £21 from Ribble for example and they fit perfectly. On my Triban 3 I did need to buy a new front brake bolt for the fork as it needed to be longer to hold the mudguard mount. Look very nice in Black and have been a godsend with the recent mucky weather.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Gizmodo wrote:
    SKS Raceblade Long - you can leave the brackets in place and unclip the guards in less than 30 seconds. Great quality as well. Cheapest price I've found is High on Bikes eBay store who also give next day delivery, I can't fault them.

how much clearance do you need for these?

I doubt anything would fit my bike (Sensa Romagna) but desperately need a solution as my new white bike is getting filthy on my commuting runs.

Think the cruds may be my best bet.........unless someone tells me otherwise?
  • smidsy
    if you can slide a 4mm allen key between the caliper bridge and your tyre the cruds will fit.

If its tight you can get more clearance if you use a 23mm tyre rather than a 25mm.

I have just fitted some to my CAAD 5 with 25mm tyres - it's bloomin tight under the caliper and behind the seat tube (nr front mech) but they do go on and mine is a small frame (54cm).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    snipsnap wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:

how much clearance do you need for these?

I doubt anything would fit my bike (Sensa Romagna) but desperately need a solution as my new white bike is getting filthy on my commuting runs.

Think the cruds may be my best bet.........unless someone tells me otherwise?

+ 1 for Cruds MK 2. Cycling home last it through standing water, horse muck in Hyde Park mulched leaves I walked into the house dry as a bone.

They extend all the way down the rear side of the front and rear tyre, so your frame also stays reasonably dry.

Tight on 23mm tyres, and when the frame is tight to the rare above the front mech, you might need to hack away a bit of plastic like I did on mt 60cms frame, but got it in after some bodging.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Well, Cruds won't fit on my Giant with 25mm tyres :(

wet arse time
  • smidsy
    pipipi wrote:
    Well, Cruds won't fit on my Giant with 25mm tyres :(

wet ars* time

OK but I wager it will with 23mm's.

Also I thought the same initially with my CAAD but a little 'tweaking' here and there has sorted it.

Get creative with the cable ties and hacksaw to alleviate 'pinch points' and it may actually fit (as I found these often push the guard onto the tyre elsewhere).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    smidsy wrote:

OK but I wager it will with 23mm's.

Get creative with the cable ties and hacksaw to alleviate 'pinch points' and it may actually fit (as I found these often push the guard onto the tyre elsewhere).

I did have a similar thought about 23s. But I don't want to buy new tyres as well! And I'd rather have a wet arse and a bit more grip in winter. Maybe a change to make in spring.

And creative? Well I spent an hour trying to fit on one of them :cry: . I can certainly try cutting bits off, and I'm aware that a cable tie could push it on somewhere else, but I don't see where else I can tie a cable tie on with :?

Perhaps I should just concentrate on n+1 :)
  • smidsy
    N+1 seems sesible :-)

Have you looked at the Crud website hints and tips videos for fitting? These give you ideas.
    Yellow is the new Black.