Beat this equipment failure - crank fell off cycling!

brit66
brit66 Posts: 350
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Whilst cycling Sun I heard a loud 'pop' and assumed a puncture, but a few seconds later the whole non-drive side crank arm fell off! :shock: Coming to a standstill and trying to put my foot down on the curb with a crank hanging off was surprisingly difficult. :oops: Anyway VERY luckily I was only a few hundred yards from home and not 13 miles away as I had been at one point. :D That said I couldn't be arsed to walk so peddled home with one leg only - which was novel.

On inspecting the thread inside the crank (the end attached to the BB) I can see it's wiggling around and appears broken. It's SRAM Force and as I really don't want to spend £130 on a new Force crank, does if anyone has any suggestions for a cheap alternative (aesthetics not an issue) that will fit please fell free?

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Not covered by a warranty??
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like incorrect installation in which case it's more down to the shop to rectify if they fitted it. Warranty is generally for defective materials and manufacture not bodged installation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    There was an unfortunate fellow on last year's Dragon Ride who suffered the same problem. I came across him with about 3 of the 129 miles to go. I've no idea how far into the ride he suffered his misfortune, but it was great to see two other cyclists lending an arm and helping him along whilst he pushed the drive side pedal round as best he could.

This offers no help whatsoever in solving your problem but I thought sharing an anecdote may make you feel a bit better!

Peter
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Happened to my mate with a FSA chainset - the taper bolt worked loose - he'd heard some creaking and cue him cycling along one footed with a crank flapping around off his foot. Take existing crank to a decent bike shop - see if there is anything they can do.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    happened to me whilst standing and pedalling so needless to say my ribs hit the handlebars just before i hit the groud!!

was my fault though, had changed the groupset and not tighted the bolts when i installed it got sidetracked and completely forgot!! i am a dunce!!

luckily wasnt going very fast so was more comical than anything!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes