Cannondale Supersix sizing?

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Great deals on these at present and am very very tempted :mrgreen:
Unfortunately I can't get to try one for size :|
Present bike is a 58cm frame size, but appreciate geometry is different to the dale.
I'm 6ft 2" with a 32" inside leg.
Can any present owners advise on sizes :?:

Comments

• I'm 5.10 and just bought a 56cm. It's perfect for me , I would hazard a guess you are a 58??
    Why not ring a dealer and ask what size they recommend .
    Btw I got mine from cycle logik In chorlten . That's not that far from you is it?
  • AFF40N
    AFF40N Posts: 33
    Recently got one myself. Local shop price matched so I was able to try one for size.
    I'm 5'9 but only a 30" inside leg
    54cm was for me
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I am 5'10 and have a 54cm.

Dale size from the top tube dimension and are more traditional frames (horizontal top tube) so standover height is often the issue. My 54cm has a standover height of 80cm, so you inside leg measurement is as important as anything else.

Generally go one size down in Dale so I would say a 56cm would be right. Look on their website for key measurements of each frame component and you can compare to your current bike.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You need to try it out, I am 5,10 - when I test rode a caad 10 the 56 was the perfect size for me - equivalent to my trek which is also a 56. I would expect for your height the 56 is the small end of your range - possibly resulting in a more aggressive fit.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm 5' 9" with a longer inside leg that is normal, my Rourke is based on the 54cm Cannondale CAAD8 which I think has the same geometry.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • essjaydee
    Thanks for replies :)
    noste500 wrote:
    I'm 5.10 and just bought a 56cm. It's perfect for me , I would hazard a guess you are a 58??
    Why not ring a dealer and ask what size they recommend .
    Btw I got mine from cycle logik In chorlten . That's not that far from you is it?

Bit down the road but only got 56cm in stock :|

Just compared the geometry, and reckon a 58cm is going to be the best fit for me, as it's the closest to my current bike, stand over difference being only 5cm less on the dale. Top tube length is identical but reach 1cm shorter and head tube length and stack shorter, which figures with the racing geometry.
    Off to search for a 58cm :wink:
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    essjaydee wrote:
    Present bike is a 58cm frame size, but appreciate geometry is different to the dale.

I ride CAAD 8 btw...but i don't think they are massively different. Geo on Cannondale site will tell you what frame you need for your inside leg.

tho you got short legs...i am 5'10" and got 32" legs riding 54cm frame which is perfect. I lowered the stem by 1 ring...seatpost replaced with no setback and saddle is pulled as far back as possible.

sounds like 54 is ok for you in terms of legs but you will need to have big setbacks on the seatpost as well as may need to lower the handle bar to the bottom to suit your long torso...have you tried swimming? you sound like Phelp's body geo :mrgreen:
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • essjaydee
    :lol: unfortunately his weight contains a fair proportion of muscle, which mine doesn't :oops:
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Right, I'm looking for some advice on this same topic so I thought I'd post here rather than starting a new thread. I'm looking at buying a Supersix for doing some time trials and perhaps circuit races, as well as training rides in the good weather we're going to have this year(!). I'm a smidge over 6'1" with an inside leg (measured rather than trouser size) of 35". My winter bike is a Genesis Equilibrium in size 58. I've put my measurements into the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator and it reckons on a 59.2-59.9 cm seat tube (c-t) but only a 55.0-55.4 cm top tube for a racy fit (I must have short arms for my height). The 56 Supersix only has a 54 cm seat tube, with a 56 cm top tube. So in other words, the top tube sounds about right but the seat tube is short. Going up to a 58 would mean a 56 cm seat tube and a 57.5 cm top tube. I'm worried that I would be too stretched out on that. What further confuses me though, is that the difference in reach between the two is only 4 mm, despite the 15 mm difference in the top tube.

I know that the best answer is to try both sizes out, but that's proving tricky due to low stock levels locally (I don't have a car). Any thoughts on this?
  • I'm 6'1 with a 33 inside leg. My Supersix is a 58 and fits me perfectly as I would hate to be stretched out. I reckon for your size I would go with a 58 and alter the saddle height or stem as required. I tried a 56 but way too small for me. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.
  • lc1981
    Thanks Scotty. Do you reckon you have long arms? My concern is that my arms are relatively short and that while the height of the 58 would be good, it might be too long. My arm span is 6', so an inch shorter than my height, and because my legs are relatively long, I have quite a short torso.
  • I'm 6'0" and have owned a 58cm CAAD8 which was just a tad too big for me. After changing the stem to a slightly shorter one, the bike was a better fit.

I now own a 56cm SuperSix which is spot on so I'd suggest for your height, the 58cm would be just right.

Mick
  • lc1981
    I agree that based on height alone, it would probably be the 58, but as I mention above, I have long legs and short arms/torso. I'm actually leaning towards the 56 with a longer stem fitted.
  • I'm 6"1 and had a caad9 which was too big for me at 58cm.

The cannondale scale reckons 56cm would be the right way to go and I agree.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    On of the best bits of advice I saw on here with regard to bike sizing - and lets face it, its probably asked twice a week - was, you can make a smaller frame bigger (ie stem, seat post, cranks) but you can make a bigger one smaller. If in doubt and you really cant try out I would er on the smaller side.
  • LankyDJ
    LankyDJ Posts: 44
    I'm 5'11" tried a 56cm, it was just too big for me, ended up with a 54cm, which seemed much more comfortable. A 56cm would probably be perfect for someone of your size.

As for the bike, you'll not be disappointed, a fantastic machine!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    essjaydee wrote:
    You're a 56 plain and simple. Try it and stop wondering.

I'm shorter than you but have an 88cm/34" inseam and ride a 56 Cannondale so you'll be fine.

Are you sure of your inseam? Really push a large hardback book like a school textbook up into your nether region - make sure your feet are not too far apart, just shoulder distance...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee wrote:
    You're a 56 plain and simple. Try it and stop wondering.

I'm shorter than you but have an 88cm/34" inseam and ride a 56 Cannondale so you'll be fine.

Are you sure of your inseam? Really push a large hardback book like a school textbook up into your nether region - make sure your feet are not too far apart, just shoulder distance...

I decide to travel and tried a CAAD10 in a 56 and a 58, and the 56 was too small, so went for the 58 which is perfect 8)

IC 1981 - I found the Cannondale to have a shorter wheelbase and cockpit reach was shorter also compared to my other 58 size bike, so I'd say the 58 would be a better fit based on your inseam.
  • I'm 6ft 1", 35" inside leg, and ride a 58cm Supersix and it fits very well, if this helps. Any smaller and the short seat post would be exposed near minimum insertion mark.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Really helped reading this thread.

At present I own a 58cm Tarmac and the length from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube is about 54cm. The 56cm Supersix also has the same distance between the bottom bracket and the top of the seat tube.

The difference between the two bikes is headtube length (SS being 15.5cm to the Tarmacs 20.5cm). As for horizontal top tube length, the Tarmac is 58.2cm whereas the Supersix is 56cm.

I'm 6'1 and have about 34" inseam. I don't think the seat tube length is the issue for me on the cannondale. Maybe the head tube is a little shorter than expected, but I can adapt. The problem I have with my current bike is that I feel a little stretched out in the arms. If I'm on the hoods, my arms will be in full extension and that's not comfortable.

Not sure what stores stock cannondales but I know that the CAAD10 has a similar geometry so may try one of those in both a 56 and 58. The 58 has top tube length of 57.5cm which is .7cm shorter than what I currently have. I feel that my bike is about 2cm too long if anything (use a 110mm stem).

Oh well...
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Gabbo wrote:
    I'm 6'1 and have about 34" inseam...
    ...try one of those in both a 56 and 58. The 58...

I too am 6'1, 34". I ride a 56 SS.
    tick - tick - tick
  • A 58cm bike is not the answer you're looking for here.
  • Gabbo
    A 58cm bike is not the answer you're looking for here.

Why is that then? Where do you think a 58cm SS will go wrong?
  • Gabbo
    metronome wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

So would you suggest a 56 then? I hate having long legs. Means the seat has to be raised, and due to having a shorter torso means my reach is limited and therefore giving me a bigger drop to the bars.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Gabbo wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

So would you suggest a 56 then? I hate having long legs. Means the seat has to be raised, and due to having a shorter torso means my reach is limited and therefore giving me a bigger drop to the bars.

Swing your leg over a 56 and 58 Supersix. I did and knew right away that the 56 was right for me. Felt nimble and more tuneable. That said, plenty here favouring the 58.
    tick - tick - tick
  • Gabbo
    metronome wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

Swing your leg over a 56 and 58 Supersix. I did and knew right away that the 56 was right for me. Felt nimble and more tuneable. That said, plenty here favouring the 58.

I know, but surely a Supersix is made for racing right? Wouldn't a tighter wheelbase and a larger drop be more favourable in this situation?

After buying the Tarmac, I realised what a stupid f**king mistake it was to go 58.. even though the worker at Sigma sport (yes, sigma sport) told me that 58 was my size and that I looked too upright on the 56. He even said I could fit onto a 61 !!! :shock: But then conflicting views down at the concept store where one of their workers told me I should definitely go with a 56 and that making a smaller frame larger was easier than making a large frame smaller. That, I have come to learn and the hard way.

I'm not sure how the SS in a 58 compares to the Tarmac in a 58 but if it's anything similar, then I'd definitely be going with the 56.

What stores stock cannondales? Is it only evans? As i'd like to try one
  • Gabbo wrote:
    A 58cm bike is not the answer you're looking for here.

Why is that then? Where do you think a 58cm SS will go wrong?

Because going by what you've said a 58cm will be too big for you. I found this out the hard way with my caad. With your dimensions you land right in the middle of 56cm territory.

The Supersix will be a great bike, I'm not against that in the slightest.
  • Gabbo
    Hmm. I sat on both today and was advised to go for the 58. I look a little squashed on the 56 apparently. It does look small!
  • You pays your money you makes your choice.

Good luck whichever you go for. It's a nice bike.
  • lc1981
    Gabbo wrote:
    I look a little squashed on the 56 apparently. It does look small!

Really? I was surprised at how big the 56 looked!