Manchester - quickest way to reach countryside

chorltonnick
chorltonnick Posts: 19
edited May 2013 in Road general
Hi,

I'm in Chorlton (south inner-city Manchester) and love cycling the countryside south of the city (Dunham Massey, Ashley, Knutsfor, Lymm etc). What I hate, however, is the 20 minutes or so before I reach the country lanes. Generally I just head down the very busy Chester Road from Chorlton through Sale, Timperely etc. It's a horrible stretch of road, however, with a bike lane that's about an inch thick and full of pot holes.

Anybody in Manchester recommend a better/quicker route to the countryside? How's the cycling towards Marple/Stockport? Or, is there a way to reach Wilmslow/Alderley on quiet roads from Chorlton/Didsbury?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    From Chorlton, just head up to Oxford road and through Rusholme (which aren't best of roads either) and you're quickly entering Cheshire-territory. I hate the city crossing. I tend to cycle toward Congleton and Knutsford now but getting there is a nightmare. Have you considered heading East? Go through the centre and up Ashton New Road and head for Mossley - you have a variety of nice cycling options from there.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    or head to piccadily station get on a train to glossop or edale gorgeous scenary and lots or routes just half an hour away :D
  • Hi,

I'm in Chorlton (south inner-city Manchester) and love cycling the countryside south of the city (Dunham Massey, Ashley, Knutsfor, Lymm etc). What I hate, however, is the 20 minutes or so before I reach the country lanes. Generally I just head down the very busy Chester Road from Chorlton through Sale, Timperely etc. It's a horrible stretch of road, however, with a bike lane that's about an inch thick and full of pot holes.

Anybody in Manchester recommend a better/quicker route to the countryside? How's the cycling towards Marple/Stockport? Or, is there a way to reach Wilmslow/Alderley on quiet roads from Chorlton/Didsbury?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I'm in chorlton too and tend to get in the car simply because the roads are so dangerous. But avoid the A56 that you mention like the plague, it is lethal, my wife drives that route to work each day and cyclists are frequently knocked over and injured/killed (not at her hands), one route I use when TT training is across the stretford arndale cross roads towards urmston then flixton and you can get to the Dunham Massey lanes more safety (having said that the dunham Massey lanes aren't great compared with the miles of country lanes around frodsham
  • I went to Alderley Edge last week and headed into town, along Upper Brook Street and onto the A6 and down to Adlington, Pott Shrigley and then around the lanes. All decent roads and lots of room for bikes in the main.

The Mossley option is good. My regular ride is Oldham, Ashton, Mossley and into Greenfield and Uppermill and up to Marsden.
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    I live in Northenden, and my main routes out of the city are down Styal Road (towards wilmslow/alderley edge etc) or past Wythenshawe park towards Altrincham, then down through Ashley (towards Tatton park/Knutsford etc). From Chorlton you could head down Barlow Moor road then turn right down Palatine road and then go from there. That's gotta be better than cycling down Chester road, if a little longer.
  • Thanks for all your replies. Some good options there. I've only been what I'd call a semi-serious cyclist for about nine months but I'm loving it. Bike upgrade is next on the list - been riding a five-speed mid-80s Peugeot (did Manchester to Blackpool in sub-4hrs, which I was pleased with) but have my eye on a Bianchi Via Nirone. Going to go for a test ride this week... Can't wait to get out more often into the countryside.
  • ror3h wrote:
    I live in Northenden, and my main routes out of the city are down Styal Road (towards wilmslow/alderley edge etc) or past Wythenshawe park towards Altrincham, then down through Ashley (towards Tatton park/Knutsford etc). From Chorlton you could head down Barlow Moor road then turn right down Palatine road and then go from there. That's gotta be better than cycling down Chester road, if a little longer.

Agree, significantly safer. Alternatively jump on a train to widnes (30 mins from Trafford park) and head south and your into Cheshire countryside within a few mins...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    There's always the trans pennine way along the bank of the Mersey from chorlton, gets you closer to the east Cheshire side...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/7 ... il_leaflet
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you aren't averse to a bit of slightly looser surface (but still doable on a road bike as long as you keep your eyes peeled) there is the canal towpath that you can get on by stretford metro stop and runs to dunham, avoiding the a56 etc
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:
    if you aren't averse to a bit of slightly looser surface (but still doable on a road bike as long as you keep your eyes peeled) there is the canal towpath that you can get on by stretford metro stop and runs to dunham, avoiding the a56 etc

I do that route as my commute from chorlton to birchwood (Warrington), it's too knarly for road wheels/tyres plus this year has been a mud bath from Sale until you hit the TPT at the Bay Malton pub.
  • As much as I enjoy living near the Meadows and Chorlton Green South Manchester is horrible for road cycling it has to be said (one of the most dangerous places for cycling in the country too).

I tend to head down the 56 and turn right down Glebelands rd through Partington but to be honest the suburban roads are narrow, busy and full of dozy drivers and once you get towards Carrington the Traffic is heavy and fast moving with lots of trucks. I actually prefer going down the A56 through Hale and out to Ashley - the speed differential between myself and the traffic is much lower and there is far less risk of traffic pulling out or turning right in front of you.

I use my MTB more than the roadbike tbh - as suggested the Trans Pennine trail is quite pleasant (if a little dull) and the Fallowfield Loop is nice and smooth for a short spin out on a road bike though not exactly scenic! Access it down a little alleyway next to The Bar on Wilbraham Rd:
    http://www.mmu.ac.uk/staff/travel/cycli ... op_map.pdf

I'd be tempted to look at a pukka lightweight racing Cyclo Cross bike (not a look-a-like commuter) like a Boardman/Scott/Decathlon if I were you - you can then use the Canal towpaths and Trans-Pennine trail to get out to the countryside and still have a nice sprightly bike to enjoy out on the roads.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing about any more routes too!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Here's one route I'd think of for getting from Chorlton to Ashley

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1852307

An alternative would be to head down Hardy Lane and cross the Mersey at Jacksons Boat, then down Rifle Road, Old Hall Road and Marsland Road before picking up the above route at Walton Road, Brooklands.

I'll draw up another route to get you to the West avoiding the A6144 to Carrington/Partington - not nice in rush hour traffic.

[Edit] Route out West avoiding the heavy traffic on the A6144 to Carrington (the section I indicate on hear doesn't have the heavies as they are on the motorway by this point) This route also shows the alternative route over Jackson's Boat. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1852323 [/Edit]

[Further Edit] The key point on the last route is that at mile 6 there is a gate across the road, but there is a gap by the side of it plenty wide enough to get a bike through, this arrangement is unchanged in the last 30+ years. It goes past a household recycling centre but the roads have always been free of debris when I've gone through.
    Further out it is worth knowing that there is a footbridge across the Bollin near the Swan with two Nicks at Dunham. There is a road down the side of the park (from near the car park entrance), walk across the bridge and then your away, thus avoiding the A556 which is really really awful. [/Further Edit]
    Andy
  • Nice one Andy.

A guy repairing a puncture kindly pointed out the footbridge by the Swan with Two Nicks to me on Sunday - very handy!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • ffrantic
    ffrantic Posts: 4
    http://app.strava.com/activities/55530433

this is a ride i did yesterday, the fastest way i find to the countryside (from Sale) is down Brooklands Road / Framingham and straight over the roundabout eventually turning left at the crossroads and heading the back way past Hale Sports Club. from there head up to Hale town centre and jump over the main road and linking up with Ashley Road.

alternatively the route can be reversed and heading up Sinderland Road is equally as quick.

If you know the area and roads i talk about then its a great easy way to avoid a lot of traffic.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    i have used the canal path from bowdon to the riverside park to get to chorlton or salford many times. you might want something more robust than a via nirone of you do that a lot , and put proper tyres on , like gatorskins or pasela tourguard. There is a lot to be said for a tough bike , you are no longer addicted to the roads. Your old steel bike with 28mm marathons or similar was the standard club bike for ages for good reasons.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • spin_city
    spin_city Posts: 34
    ffrantic
    If you live on Framingham Road you can use the footpath at the end of Wood Road (off Framingham) to get to the 'Timperley side'. From there it's easy to find a quiet route out to the countryside.
  • ffrantic
    ffrantic Posts: 4
    thats a good shout, avoiding the hellish Brooklands Roundabout .