Subway Carerra 2

iamcami
iamcami Posts: 93
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

My dad bought himself a hybrid Subway carerra off ebay a while back. It came in parts so he had to put it together himself. He was trying to lose weight but rarely used it, then once he lost some weight he was more in to the idea of using it but ran in to some problems with it, like putting the handlebars on upside down. One of the pedals kept coming off, the thread on it was worn. It's the side of the pedals with the chain, the crank or chainring? So he got one off halfords website and was gonna fit it himself. When he took the worn one off, I noticed that it only had 2 cogs/rings or whatever they're called. But it's a 24 speed bike and his new replacemnt has 3.

Is he gonna need a new chain then? And hopefully not but would he need a new cassette too?

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    What did he replace? The crankset? If so then he'll need a new triple front mech, if the new crankset even fits.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • iamcami
    This is what he got. because the thread for the pedal wouldn't hold the pedal

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165545
    Suntour XCC 150-PB Bike Cranks

Which I think is the correct one. It seems the guy on ebay sent the wrong type and we didnt notice until now. The "wrong one" that came from the guy on ebay only had 2 rings/cogs but the gears control show 3 and the bike is supposed to have 3 at the front, 8 at the back.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That's fine then. If it fits and doesn't touch the chainstays and the chain is long/short enough!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I think your Dad bought the older type of Carrera Subway, the type with only two chainrings.

He will only need to replace the front derailleur for a triple derailleur. He probably needs to ask the LBS to fit it as the adjustment might prove too difficult if he does not have experience.
  • iamcami
    RRSODL wrote:
    I think your Dad bought the older type of Carrera Subway, the type with only two chainrings.

He will only need to replace the front derailleur for a triple derailleur. He probably needs to ask the LBS to fit it as the adjustment might prove too difficult if he does not have experience.

Well the new crank is on the front and it's only using 2 out of the 3. But the gear switch on the handlebar has 3 there. THe left switch for the front gears. So it's kinda confusing. If it's the old bike, why doesn't it just list 2 there? Or could the ebay seller have replaced that?

Only one and two on the switcher on the handlebars work, which seem to be 2+3 on the actual crank. So can't get to 3 on the switcher and can't get to 1 on the crank. Not sure what this guy that sold him it on ebay has done. Whether the switcher is wrong or the crank that we took off, which was worn and wouldn't hold the pedal.
    100_0438.JPG
    Proof ^ That 3 is there, just can't get to it and even if you could it would take the chain off the crank. So either way outta tune or only two but then why is that even there on the dial/switcher?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    They fitted double chainsets with triple shifters as standard. You can fit triples no problem with no other parts. I know because I used to sell and repair these bikes. I have fitted triples to a dozen or more.
  • iamcami
    Ah ok. Had me confused. So it's just 16 speed then? So i don't need to worry about anything as it seems to be OK with the new one.
  • simomed
    simomed Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    i don't see a probleme here since it doesn't touch the chainstays it's okay
    ++++1 but it's your decision anyway

He put it on and took it in to Halfords (hes got the careplan) and they got the gears working on it. So now 24 gears instead of 16. But it doesnt change very smoothly imo. He doesn't use the "granny" gears anyway.