Headset problem?

chrisw333
chrisw333 Posts: 695
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I switched over stems today and now for some reason there is now a loudish clicking noise when i turn the handlebars and they are very stiff. I presume I have ballsed up the headset, but not sure how. Is there anything obvious I may have done that could have caused this problem?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you have not got the spacing correct.
    read http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chrisw333
    Thanks for the reply Nick. Can I have really messed up the spacing by just switching over the stem? The height looked the same to me so I didn't adjust anything, just took old one off and attached the new one?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked and is is not the same thing.

but you may have just overtightened things.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chrisw333
    Could over tightening the top cap have done any damage? I did try loosening it all afterwards but the problem was still there.

I'll look at the Park stuff, but if servicing headset is now required that probably goes beyond my very limited abilities
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools and your question will be answered. You can't just loosen the topcap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools