Newbie - saddle, stem, handlebar tightening torque.

deanyboy
deanyboy Posts: 16
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi

I just got a new Giant road bike and I'm looking to make adjustments for a good fit.
I was adjusting the seat post. My owners manual suggested the seat post - M4 binder bolt should be tightened to 1.9 - 3.9 Nm.

Where should I be exactly setting my torque wrench?

I set it somewhere in between 2 to 4 Nm (I have a basic Giant torque wrench). The bolt popped and now wont screw in, it's now useless. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to continue on the bike because I don't trust this user manual at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• alex_uk
    alex_uk Posts: 56
    If you just need to get the bolts tightened properly then this can be done without a torque wrench. I'm not sure from your post if this information will be useful to you - apologies if not.

A standard pack of allen keys are different lengths for each size - the bigger the size the longer the tool, and so the more torque you can put in to it. In other words, smaller bolts will receive a lesser torque by virtue of you having less tool to pull on. So, what I do, is tighten the bolt by just holding the available length comfortably in my hand and putting on a steady exertion.

That will get the sort of bolts your talking about done to an adequate torque.

Hope that is useful to you!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    are you sure your torque wrench is accurate? m4 is quite small, if the parts are alloy or low strength then there's not much margin for error

as above, just tighten until things are secure

mostly i use a torque wrench as a way to avoid going over the maximum on more delicate bits like alloy bolts or fastening cf, the rest of the time an allen key is enough

there're some things that need a specific torque setting

but for most only the maximum rating is of interest, and you usually don't need to go anywhere near it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cheers guys.

Just got a new seat post clamp from Halfords. Its cheap but does the job a lot better then the Giant one.
    It's thicker and stronger. I'm really surprised at how bad the Giant one was.
  • I'll just apply the right amount of torque that I think's needed from now on. I can tell if it's tight enough.

Yes Sungod it's definitely a M4. Really small and flimsy.