Cassette spacing problem.

qooqiiu
qooqiiu Posts: 212
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a problem with spacing on my cassette.

The cassette in the 1st pic is a 10 speed shimano deore cassette on a sun ringle hub, this works.

Cassette 2 is a 10 speed XT cassette on a Mavic SLR hub with the M10 spacer Mavic say you need to run a 10 sped cassette on that freehub. Clearly once the wheel is installed the chain is rubbing on the frame.

What is the issue here, can anyone shed any light. Just about had enough of this bike now!

Thanks in advance.

CIMG1734.jpg
CIMG1735.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try taking the spacer out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • qooqiiu
    It still won't be enough. The gap would need to be 2x spacer widths to equal the original wheel space.
  • cooldad
    Huh?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    What am I missing - it's too wide without a spacer, so you put a spacer in and it's even more 'too wide'.???
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it the M10 body?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • qooqiiu
    I don't know for sure. It either that or the M10/HG9 how can i tell the difference?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't think that's a cassette spacing issue, if you take the cassette off is the stop outside the end of the freehub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    measured the O.L.D. of the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • qooqiiu
    No i haven't measured the old hub.

Is the difference between these M10/HG9 simply length?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The M10 is just the Shimano spline pattern, as opposed to ED10 for Campag, not specifically related to the cassette speed it can accept.

If its rubbing with no spacer there's clearly a bigger issue with the hub.
  • cooldad
    qooqiiu wrote:
    No i haven't measured the old hub.

Is the difference between these M10/HG9 simply length?
    Not the old hub, the O.L.D. - over locknut distance.

Without wanting to sound harsh, over various threads you have struggled with fitting the spacer (in another thread you said the chainline was diabolical without the spacer? - so at some point you must have had it on), have asked about cassette ratios, have struggled with an HTII crank coming loose, front mech adjustment, and XTR mech range.

You seem to be spending/planning to spend a lot of money on fancy bits - I would suggest you spend a bit of time on Parktools and Sheldon Brown reading up on all the things you are trying to do. I think it will be time well spent.

Or find a decent LBS, give them the bits, some instructions and a wedge of cash and let them get on with it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't think that's a cassette spacing issue, if you take the cassette off is the stop outside the end of the freehub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Saying something twice, doesn't make it understandable