bike theft

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I hear a lot of stories about peoples sheds/garages being broken in to and their bikes being stolen - is this a case of the thieves knowing where the bike owners live/store their bikes, or is it just burgulars (what a wierd word!) breaking in and getting lucky with the bikes?

I store my bikes in my back garden locked up in a shed, and thought that if a burgular broke in hes unlikely to look in the shed (its at the back of the garden behind hedges etc so not really visible). But if its a case of thieves watching bike riders then maybe i need to reconsider.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes many people get followed back from trail centers etc.

Like i say if they want it they will take it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTB_TR wrote:
    or is it just burgulars (what a wierd word!)
    Maybe because it's burglars. And weird.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Maybe because it's burglars. And weird.

Balls, you beat me to it!
  • pesky_jones
    haha could be, but burglar sounds even wierder to me. It still sounds like it should be a word for someone that scoffs burgers to me :)
  • cooldad
    That would be weirder. You are obviously of the McDonalds generation.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    Yes that would be weirder! What is the McDonalds generation? I find that insulting sir I challenge you to a duel! Not so weird in your generation :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buglers play a trumpet like instrument....

I've had friends with bikes stolen from sheds, some where all the local sheds got done, another it was clear the scroat had spotted a decent bike and tailed him home....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    hmm interesting stuff. Maybe its time to start shifting my stuff indoors.
  • If you can have them Indoors then have them indoors. Sheds open it up to "casual" burglars. On the whole if someone wants into somewhere they'll get in somewhere. It's all about delay.
  • cooldad
    MTB_TR wrote:
    Yes that would be weirder! What is the McDonalds generation? I find that insulting sir I challenge you to a duel! Not so weird in your generation :mrgreen:
    I accept, as you challenged, I get to choose weapons. Which shall be wit and intelligence. You are doomed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sheds are a hot target for burgulalalry as they know it may have bike.mower/diamond jewelry, and also that its unlikely to contain a knife wielding not-so-excessive-that-I-shot-you-in-the-face-while-you-are-unconscious-but-ok-to-use-excessive-force home owner.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    Sheds are a hot target for burgulalalry as they know it may have bike.mower/diamond jewelry, and also that its unlikely to contain a knife wielding not-so-excessive-that-I-shot-you-in-the-face-while-you-are-unconscious-but-ok-to-use-excessive-force home owner.

When I got my gun licence the cop told me to always make sure to fire a warning shot. After the first shot killed the farker.*

*I never actually needed to take his advice, fortunately.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • My shed has two locks and the bikes are chained together which would make it impossible for thieves to take the bikes out without the shed it self being dismantled. Should they wish to do that they will have to get past the dozen house that face the back of my house in direct view of my shed plus a security light and my dad being a light sleeper and sleeping with the window open. So should they get past that kudos to them but they will face a greater challenge after that and that challenge is can they survive a 2lb lump hammer careering into their face.
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    benpinnick wrote:

Are you deliberately trying to go 'one up' on the OP comment?... Never seen so many 'l's' in one word (burgulary).

I'll sit back, now and wait to be entertained by the clash of cooldad and MTB_TR...McDonalds culture -v- The wit and inteligence of a bygone age :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • The Rookie
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    My shed has two locks and the bikes are chained together which would make it impossible for thieves to take the bikes out without the shed it self being dismantled. .
    The last person I heard say that came back to find his bike gone, they even stole the hacksaw they used to cut through thr frame tubes........More value in the rest of the bike than most frames.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    My shed has two locks and the bikes are chained together which would make it impossible for thieves to take the bikes out without the shed it self being dismantled. .
    The last person I heard say that came back to find his bike gone, they even stole the hacksaw they used to cut through thr frame tubes........More value in the rest of the bike than most frames.

I haven't heard of them cutting the frame, but I can imagine it happening.

I have seen a few bikes chained up around town where the frame has been mangled. Presumably out of spite because the thieves couldn't break the lock.

Regards

Carl
  • The Rookie
    The only bit identifiable on most bikes is the frame, strip it and 'loose' the frame, and there is nothing to tie the parts to a stolen bike.....
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What did you say you did for a living again
  • You can het dna water but i guess that would be washed off
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    I see a couple of toe-rags riding around on a nice Cube and a Kona FS. I would stake my life on them being stolen. I get a glare from each of them when I dare to look at them or their bikes. What can you do though?

A woman at my work reported two chavs riding a woman's fold up bike and a bike with no seat or seat post. They stopped and appeared to be examining one of the bikes, looking at the components . She said to the police that if they come now they will catch them as the one without a seat was having to push it up a very steep hill!

No action from the police though - this is after being told this week at my local community meeting that the police were trying to tackle cycle thefts which are a problem round our area!

Regards

Carl
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    MTB_TR wrote:
    I accept, as you challenged, I get to choose weapons. Which shall be wit and intelligence. You are doomed.

We shall see :twisted:
  • Had a delivery of kitchen units the other day that the delivery drivers kindly put in my shed. They would have seen my bikes in there. A few days later and they were nicked. I'm not jumping to conclusions :|
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Carl170 wrote:
    Dannyboy95 wrote:

I haven't heard of them cutting the frame, but I can imagine it happening.

I have seen a few bikes chained up around town where the frame has been mangled. Presumably out of spite because the thieves couldn't break the lock.

Regards

Carl

Yep, sadly I've heard of that happening :(