Rock Shox Reba RLT 2013 Solo Air

bikeskimountains
bikeskimountains Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

New to the forum, so firstly - hello everyone!

I've just bought the Reba RLT Solo Air 2013 fork to upgrade the old Dart3's on my Rockhopper :D . New to fork upgrades - my first one, so would appreciate any help with some queries I have. I have searched for the manuals on the RS site but they don't seem to have the Reba 2013 yet, and they link off to documents that simply don't match the fork.

I'm mainly confused by the low speed compression adjust. The RS site says the fork has "Low Speed Compression to Lock" but my fork has a Push Loc remote and it seems I therefore have an on/off lockout choice and have no adjustment of low speed compression? I was expecting the remote to allow more of a stepped adjustment.

The RS site for this fork points to the Mission Control tuning guide which seems quite misleading - e..g. says low speed compression is white and high speed is blue (my lockout / supposed low speed comp is blue). This guide talks of 10-clicks on the compression adjusts where as my blue dial is smooth turning and isn't going to achieve much more than 1/2 turn with the cable tensioned.

My blue dial is just labelled 'lockout', not 'compression' as I've seen on older 2011 Rebas in the service manuals.

Worried that this fork might not have low speed compression adjust afterall, and is just lockout on/off, can anyone re-assure?

Also quick question on the red rebound adjust at leg bottom - maybe a daft one but the long red adjust tube that heads up the hollow lower portion of the leg looks, to me, a little frail. Is this tube a 'tool' that is meant to be removed when riding, or is it to stay in place. Don't want to lose/break it when riding but a gentle pull didn't release it. Don't want to pull hard in case its not meant to come out. Sort of thing a manual should tell me but I can't actually find an up to date Reba manual on the RS site.

And finally, the floodgate threshold seems to turn (when set mid range) when the blue lockout under it turns - is this normal?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures of your fork.

the red adjuster is normally removable so as to be used on things like a internal floodgate adjust.

but lets first ID your fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick,

Some pics attached...

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is a MoCo fork with external flood gate. which is the correct spec for the Reba RLT

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/r ... erm-id/103

you may be just a little confused.

yes the push lock is an on off. there is no adjustment of the compression unless you set it so that the return position of the dial is not returning fully so you have locked or some adjusted compression.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have the identical fork (from Merlin Cycles £325), first ride was yesterday and after 30km it seemed to be loosening up nicely, I'm quite pleased with the purchase (it replaced my Minute 1 coil fork from my 2006 Giant VT1, super plush but knocking on a bit). Holy crap the Reba is light and stiff too.

Observations:
    I ran a much lower pressure than recommended for my weight and got nowhere near a bottom out (no big drops though)
    Somewhat confused about the red rebound damping screw too, I just set it to approximately half way through its range and it seemed OK, how do I remove it?
    Compression damping seems fine at the factory setting if there is no adjustability but really - is there no adjustability!!!???
    Blow off threshold is the only other adjustable, is that purely for if you forget to unlock the fork before setting off downhill?

NB. I drilled out my 9mm qr adapters on my 2006 Mavic Crossmax XL front wheel with a hand drill and a 15mm bit from eBay - hey presto 15mm bolt thru hubs!!!