Frames and seat posts.

Crispyapp
Crispyapp Posts: 344
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I've just bought myself a Cervelo r5 VWD which will be next yrs new summer bike. The frame came supplied with a 3t dorico ltd carbon post. However I'm not all that keen on the post and I'm looking for something else. My question is does a carbon frame have to have a carbon post or can you still use alloy? I ride a Look 595 at the min which has integrated post so it's been a while since I've had to buy 1 and can't honestly remember....

Same applies for the stem by the way.

Thanks
Christian
Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
Cervelo r5
Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB

Comments

• BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    First off, that’s a lovely frame you've got there! I was thinking about one of those when I got my new roadie. Second, why don’t you like the 3T Doric LTD? It's a beautiful seatpost (not that I’m biased because I’ve got one :)).

If you really do want to get rid of it then you can get any seatpost you want. Aluminum / Titanium / any Alloys and carbon are fine to mix. I do seem to remember a story of someone who got an Alloy seatpost, put it on his carbon race bike, and for some reason the seatpost fused itself to the frame, but I’ve seen no scientific data to back that up. If you nervous about it, put some friction paste on the seatpost to add a layer in between the alloy and the carbon. At my local bike shop (which happens to specialize in Cervelo's) I’ve seen loads of R3's and some R5's with Alloy seatpost and stems, so it's completely fine. I'll stick with my carbon one, but it's up to you.

On a side note: If you’re looking for a nice Alloy seatpost, the Thomson Masterpiece has to be on your list!

And if you looking for a buyer for your 3T seatpost, let me know, depending on size I might be interested.
  • Crispyapp
    Thanks for your reply. And you know what I'm being over the top here and I will retract my statement that I don't like it. I do like the post, it looks great, it's light, and I'm sure it will hold the saddle secure as the quality looks great.

Now I'll be a little more truthful. :oops: some would say I have a problem with OCD and that because I'm building a new bike I like the post, bars and stem to all be the same brand. As I'm looking at Zipp I thought I'd ask the question.... Ha there you have it :lol:

I have to say I'm very happy with the frame it's great, but now I'm researching into every other part that needs to go on it. I'm 99% on the wheels 100% on the group set so now just need to make my mind up on the rest.
    Cervelo r5
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    When I got my SuperSix I had the same thoughts as you! I wanted to keep the bar, stem, and seatpost the same brand. I ended up choosing 3T as it was in my opinion the best stuff for the money. I cant recommend the 3T Ergonova Bar, and ARX Stem enough! There great! The Zipp stuff is very good too though.
  • Crispyapp
    Yes I've seen those there great, it would be the cheapest way to build the bike... Maybe something to consider...

Thanks
    Cervelo r5
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'd ditch the Doric Team too, probably the worst seatpost in the world, poor quality finish and the seat rail clamp must be the worst i've ever encounted, plus you're advised to thread lock the screws on the rail clamp after a few folk have been left high and dry.
    Whether the Doric Ltd is any better i don't know and it could be and expensive mistake if it isn't.