Zesty 314Ladies chain guide

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at buying a 314L for the wife.

It comes with an XT chainset 42x32x24.
I'd like to swap to 2x10 with a bash guard and chain guide.

How easy is this?
Can I just replace the outer ring with a bash guard?
Does the bike come with ISCG (cant find this info anywhere!!!)?

Can I keep the 3x10 LH shifter or will it need to be swapped out for a 2x10?

Thanks guys and girls
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy
    Yes
    No idea but no reason it needs a chain guide.
    Yes, just use the high limit screw to stop it shifting too far.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Simple, however you will need either a thin (aluminium) bash or if you use a plastic (such as E13 or Shimano) you'll need the longerr chainring bolts.
    No more need for a chain guide (lower I presume) than on the current triple.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhooper7
    Simple, however you will need either a thin (aluminium) bash or if you use a plastic (such as E13 or Shimano) you'll need the longerr chainring bolts.
    No more need for a chain guide (lower I presume) than on the current triple.
    Okay, thanks for the info. Does the bash guard have to match to tooth size of the middle ring or be bigger?
    Why no need for a lower guide?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do point having a bash unless it's bigger than the largest ring! A 36T bash wil be slightly larger than a 36T ring with chain wrapped round it.

Why no need for a lower guide - bacause the chain has nowhere different to go that in your using a triple which doesn't use a lower guide, you may wish to run one if doing more extreme work, but most (like 99%) of people running doubles don't bother.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhooper7
    A 36T bash wil be slightly larger than a 36T ring with chain wrapped round it
    Yeah, that's what I assumed. Just checking
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got an XT Chainset and recently replaced the outer ring with a Race Face metal bashguard. My chainrings are the same as the ones you are discussing, so I'm left with 24-32 and bash. 32T is OK but I think I should have gone 36T, as I sometimes (not very often, I'm not particularly fast) spin out on the road. However, as I have a 32T ring and bashguard I'd need to change both at the same time, so I'm not bothering for the time being.