Anybody else underwhelmed by black bikes ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
I dont like black bikes, thats just my opinion.

As much as I dont like them, I dont like gharish overdone bikes like some of the Cubes.

An example of what I do like is the white Cannondale Synapse with understated logos and that to me looks very classy indeed. Where (imo) black just looks boring, cube looks crass..............I have a certain penchant for bikes were the base colour of the frame is white.

How do you feel about frames were the base colour is black, what about white ?.............or do you have another specific preference ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2012 Cube GTC SL was rather nice. Matt black with lime green finishes.

2012_Cube_Agree_GTC_SL_2fach.jpg
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I think the black theme has been overdone. I never much cared for it anyway. I like more classical style paint jobs, but in light and slightly offbeat tones. When I had a bespoke classic tourer built up I had it painted in a mauve colour called 'sable ' offset with a dusky pink on the headtube and downtube panel. Worked well with the polished lugs.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I agree but do like the Ribble R872 but thats more to do with the frame detailing than anything else. I hate black and white bikes and agree about some of the cubes. The exception at the moment has to be the Specialized Venge Comp as it looks like it should belong to Mr T and I would happily ride one.

Ti bikes with a bit of colour detailing always look nice i think.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Paint is heavy
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    xiaolongbao-6193_5.jpg
    Personally I quite like them. If someone gave me a Wilier Zero .7 in black I doubt I would be sending it back :) Might even build one using one of those chinese frames.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Raffles wrote:
    I dont like black bikes, thats just my opinion.

As much as I dont like them, I dont like gharish overdone bikes like some of the Cubes.

An example of what I do like is the white Cannondale Synapse with understated logos and that to me looks very classy indeed. Where (imo) black just looks boring, cube looks crass..............I have a certain penchant for bikes were the base colour of the frame is white.

How do you feel about frames were the base colour is black, what about white ?.............or do you have another specific preference ?
    Have you considered the possibility that you may be a cycle racist?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Raffles
    Calpol wrote:
    xiaolongbao-6193_5.jpg
    Personally I quite like them. If someone gave me a Wilier Zero .7 in black I doubt I would be sending it back :) Might even build one using one of those chinese frames.

jeez get a look at that saddle :shock: looks like a medieval torture device
  • I'm a fan of the black, stealthy look. However, I removed my wheel decals the other night and I'm regretting it a bit - the braking surface ruins it I think.

I thought maybe I could get another set of decals for like five quid but no...they have the nerve to charge £50 for a set of replacement "Cosmic" stickers?!

Before and after...

ruined.jpg
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I quite like them.. they look aggressive and racy.

I do like plainer bikes more though.. can't be doing with really busy graphics.
  • I quite like them.. they look aggressive and racy.

I do like plainer bikes more though.. can't be doing with really busy graphics.
    +1
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I dont like the black bike fad - it will evolve soon (i hope)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • It really depends on the bike. Some bikes look terrible when Matte black, some look terrible with colours.
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    I reckon black bikes look good when photographed but rarely as good in the flesh/carbon fibre.
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    coriordan wrote:
    2012 Cube GTC SL was rather nice. Matt black with lime green finishes.

2012_Cube_Agree_GTC_SL_2fach.jpg

Nice....

would look good sitting next to my green and black zx6r....
  • ILM Zero7 wrote:
    I dont like the black bike fad - it will evolve soon (i hope)
    Black bikes a fad? As with most things in cycling it's nothing new. My memory goes back to the Raleigh Record of the 1980s (not my bike);
    429288_10151283651853313_1479065178_n.jpg
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm a fan of the black, stealthy look. However, I removed my wheel decals the other night and I'm regretting it a bit - the braking surface ruins it I think.

I thought maybe I could get another set of decals for like five quid but no...they have the nerve to charge £50 for a set of replacement "Cosmic" stickers?!

Before and after...

ruined.jpg

I posted pics of my Rose Xeon CRC 3100 on here with Cosmic Carbones in June I think, a lot of people were trying to suggest I remove the decals, but I didn't want to. Glad I didn't now! £50 seems a bit steep!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ^
    Thats why you need exalith rims....
  • Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    34pju2u.jpg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have to say that I find my cervelo incredibly boring to look at. yet my colnago I loved.
    I'm getting my kids to come up with the design for my next bike. From what I've seen so far it's going to look bloody awful!
    38E61E45-78FF-4DA2-B628-61A287A94CC1-5583-000005BC31B5E36F.jpg

C506.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    25rpnic.jpg
  • I bought my current race bike in 2004, it's a Bottecchia and is finished in black with a rubberised lacquer, it looked awesome back then a still looks awesome today. I think it depends on the type of bike the Bottecchia is an aggressive race bike so it suits the colour, I've just bought a Specilized Allez as a winter bike in the red, white and silver scheme and next to the same bike in black it looks much better.

Black is a timeless colour like silver cars, the fad won't be over for a while yet.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    No-one cares what colour your bike is when you've attacked and won.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • dodgy wrote:
    I posted pics of my Rose Xeon CRC 3100 on here with Cosmic Carbones in June I think, a lot of people were trying to suggest I remove the decals, but I didn't want to. Glad I didn't now! £50 seems a bit steep!
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ^

You are meant to reassure me that it doesn't look so bad. :(
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    edited October 2012
  • Raffles
    Herbsman wrote:

what about if you have set out to totally crush the entire field and you have attacked for all you are worth ....................and you blew up and got dropped by the entire peleton as they all cruise by you laughing for all they are worth ?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    dodgy wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ^

You are meant to reassure me that it doesn't look so bad. :(

I liked the decals shot... :(
  • I honestly don't know what possessed me to remove them. I'm actually considering the £50 decals because I can't bear to look at it now!
  • I'm a fan of the black, stealthy look. However, I removed my wheel decals the other night and I'm regretting it a bit - the braking surface ruins it I think.

Before and after...

ruined.jpg

Don't buy carbon clinchers and your problems are solved
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bickers
    bickers Posts: 68
    Raffles wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

what about if you have set out to totally crush the entire field and you have attacked for all you are worth ....................and you blew up and got dropped by the entire peloton as they all cruise by you laughing for all they are worth ?

LOL - but if you are going to epically fail trying to win then at least make the odd person say "nice bike" as they go past you while your trying to locate your lungs :)
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    I have four bikes, 3 are black; but to mix things up a bit I have a dark grey one too.